Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hog Hunt

yzzi
yzzi Posts: 1,843
Went hog hunting yesterday for the first time and came back with some of the 250 pounds of this bad boy. I didn't shoot this guy but I sure wish I did. Needless to say I can't wait to get some of that shoulder smoking. My phone died taking this picture so I'm sorry there's not a better one.
Dunedin, FL

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited June 2013
    Good eats and thanks for helping take this scourge from the woods!
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    I hope yours turn out better than mine. I have yet to be able to get a wild shoulder to turn out anything other than leather.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    tamu2009 said:

I hope yours turn out better than mine. I have yet to be able to get a wild shoulder to turn out anything other than leather.

But that wasn't the poor shoulders fault was it ;;)

XLBGE 
  • yzzi
    tamu2009 said:

I was wondering about that. Any tips out there how to cook the hogs so my wife enjoys it and let's me go again ;-)
    Dunedin, FL
  • Firemedic183
    Firemedic183 Posts: 197
    Please keep us posted on how your cooks with the hog meat turn out. I have been wanting to do some hog hunting too. Where did you go?
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Wild hogs are pretty tough dudes. Tenderloins are great, chops are great, they make great bacon, but I know a lot of folks have had some trouble with the butts. If I was gonna give it a run I'd go I'd probably inject it and go as low and as slow as I could.
  • yzzi
    Collier W ranch in Wauchula, FL. I was really impressed with that place. Had a blast.
    Dunedin, FL
  • yzzi

Wild hogs are pretty tough dudes. Tenderloins are great, chops are great, they make great bacon, but I know a lot of folks have had some trouble with the butts.

If I was gonna give it a run I'd go I'd probably inject it and go as low and as slow as I could.

How about a brine as well?
    Dunedin, FL
  • they are really difficult to get right. They can be really nasty if they are totally left to scrounge for food. They will eat anything. The best ones ive seen are around deer leases and cattle ranches where they can steal high quality food. They are super lean compared to commercially raised or even farm raised and can be really gamey and tough. don't be disappointed if it's not what you are used to.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • and i have to say the plaid shorts and combat boots is a sexy look :))
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    yzzi said:

Collier W ranch in Wauchula, FL. I was really impressed with that place. Had a blast.

That's my old stomping grounds. My family has a beach house in Lanark village a little farther south.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Never mind. I thought it said Wakulla. As in Wakulla springs.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Nice hog, congrats to the harvester and the consumers.

The best thing I've ever had from game meat is wild boar sausage, so no matter what I would definitely grind some up for that. Good luck with the shoulder, I know game is highly variable and very lean, both of which can make a good cook difficult.

Honestly, I would really consider grinding it all to sausage, it's good for so many things (grilled patties, spaghetti, breakfast gravy, chili, tacos, etc). Plus adding in some bacon ends and pieces or domesticated fat back can tame the gaminess if you happen to get a potent hog.

Let us know where you land, and congrats again.

B_B

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • yzzi
    Thanks B_B, boar burgers sound good. Gotta get a grinder now, sheesh.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Black_Badger
    If you have a good butcher in the area they should be able to do it for you, but having a grinder is always nice too.

Middleton, WI
  • yzzi
    I have no butcher in my area. Harr's surf and turf is the closest thing to one around here, and I don't like that place much at all. Freshly ground meat is much better than store bought so that may be on the list to get now.
    Dunedin, FL
  • yzzi
    So I took the advice of @Black_Badger and spent a few hours last night trimming a shoulder. I separated chunks of meat from the sinues/fat and I chunked up some of the hard belly fat. I ground down the shoulder using 80% meat and 20% fat. I was surprised how much work that ended up being, and who knows if it'll even be good. I took a piece, floured and fried up. It was tough as anything but the taste was fine, so I bet the ground boar will be halfway good. The meat was really red still (darker than beef even). I'm guessing I should have kept it in a cooler for longer and kept changing out the water to draw out more blood. I had it in there for 2 days before grinding, but I suppose the wild game is going to be much different.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I like the idea of grinding it for sausage and stuff. I need to try and get one from our ranch, I just haven't seen in an awhile, though my F-I-L and B-I-L say they have. Not sure why they didn't shoot them if they saw them.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Black_Badger
    Good on ya @yzzi

One other thing you might want to do is cut the meat up into ~2-3" cubes and marinate that in spices and buttermilk overnight before grinding. The buttermilk tenderizes the meat, and can tame some of the gaminess as well. Also, I've always done a two part grind, very course first then medium/course there after. I don't like to grind it too fine, unless I'm going into casings (more trouble than it's worth in my experience).   

I've never used a cooler (I assume you mean something like an ice chest) for aging, I've always been lucky enough to have access to a walk in cooler where I could let game hang.

I really hope this works out for you, sounds like you're making a good run at it. 

Cheers -
    B_B

Middleton, WI
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    yzzi said:

Do you live in Wauchula? My mom grew up there. My great grandma lived downtown until she was over 100.  My grandfather had some orange groves and cattle on the north end of town.  He first taught me how to grill - using a wheelbarrow full of orangewood and a grate. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• yzzi
    Good on ya @yzzi

One other thing you might want to do is cut the meat up into ~2-3" cubes and marinate that in spices and buttermilk overnight before grinding. The buttermilk tenderizes the meat, and can tame some of the gaminess as well. Also, I've always done a two part grind, very course first then medium/course there after. I don't like to grind it too fine, unless I'm going into casings (more trouble than it's worth in my experience).   

I've never used a cooler (I assume you mean something like an ice chest) for aging, I've always been lucky enough to have access to a walk in cooler where I could let game hang.

I really hope this works out for you, sounds like you're making a good run at it. 

Cheers -
    B_B

How long do you let it hang usually? I think I'll chop up the other shoulder and a leg and give that a go. I did put a little vinegar in the ice chest as that supposedly helps with gaminess as well.
    Dunedin, FL
  • yzzi
    Foghorn said:
    yzzi said:

Do you live in Wauchula? My mom grew up there. My great grandma lived downtown until she was over 100.  My grandfather had some orange groves and cattle on the north end of town.  He first taught me how to grill - using a wheelbarrow full of orangewood and a grate. 
    I live in Dunedin, about 2 hours north. I really liked that area. It's really nice to get away from the busy coast and enjoy the scenic life.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Black_Badger
    @yzzi Once it's hung in the walk-in it's pretty stable. I'd say most often it's hung in a tree from a singletree overnight (or until the weekend hunt is over) then into the walk in for several days, up to a week (usually until the following weekend). Once you get it gutted, skinned and hung you won't drain too much more over time, just ages a bit. 

Middleton, WI