Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Well well well

Comments

• mrosener said:
    Several months ago HEB had packers for $0.97 per pound.  But $1.77 is pretty good.
    Not .97 for CAB. Those were crap swift select grade (still a smoking price, I've done plenty of good select). $1.77 for CAB is like finding free meat in the street ( on a very clean street, wrapped in cryo in a sanitary cooler). I now have 6. Hoping to find 4 more tomorrow. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • pkaboo1
    pkaboo1 Posts: 115

What is HEB? I live in Atlanta, 1.77per lb,no way. Can anybody in my area give me less than

5.00 per llb? Publx 5.99 per for a flat,7.99 for a point. 1.77 per? Wow

Snellville,Ga.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    @CenTex, just curious. Why would you need 10 whole packer briskets? The US Army would not buy that much. :)

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Aviator said:
    @CenTex, just curious. Why would you need 10 whole packer briskets? The US Army would not buy that much. :)
    i cook 1-3 every month if I need to or not. This is roughly a 6 month supply for me. I'm saving $50 PER BRISKET at these prices. I just saved $500. I have not seen good brisket at these prices.....well....ever. 

• and I cook a lot more in the summer for pool parties, going to the beach, going out on the boat etc so this is probably a 3 month supply.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I'm doing two next weekend.

Anyone who asks why someone would cook so much brisket must not have ever had a chopped beef Sammy made from a choice brisket.

You guys should try it. It's heaven in your mouth.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • I'm doing two next weekend. Anyone who asks why someone would cook so much brisket must not have ever had a chopped beef Sammy made from a choice brisket. You guys should try it. It's heaven in your mouth.
    I may take a whole brisky and chop it and freeze in it 7 or 8 1lb food saver bags. Good chopped beef is like crack. Chopped made out of CAB? Forget it. Crazy good.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Well at least we get something right in the land of Kentucky Jelly-the CAB flats run around 3.99/# (and that number hasn't moved in at least a year-I'm waiting...) and even if you hose it up the chopped sammiches are worth it as noted by those lucky SOB's above  :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Aviator

You guys make me sick with envy. We don't get full whole packers.

We get flats, but I am going to do one again. Trouble is then there is all this meat to eat and I wont be allowed to cook again till its almost gone. I love to cook on the egg more than eating all of it. Filled up two fridges once and got banned from the deck.

:(

Chattanooga, TN.

• lousubcap said:
    Well at least we get something right in the land of Kentucky Jelly-the CAB flats run around 3.99/# (and that number hasn't moved in at least a year-I'm waiting...) and even if you hose it up the chopped sammiches are worth it as noted by those lucky SOB's above  :)>-
    Yeah, our buddy Aaron Franklin has sent brisket prices soaring here in the ATX. God bless him, but life for me was much better when brisket was a POS cut of meat that people avoided or boiled in foil trays with allegro hot and spicy :))

• sorry T. Couldn't help it.

• lousubcap
    Now that's shot-and remember he has a beverage somewhere and is quite handy with rifles, hand-guns and knives :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Wow, great find! Lucky Texan's!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited June 2013
    lousubcap said:
    Now that's shot-and remember he has a beverage somewhere and is quite handy with rifles, hand-guns and knives :)
    I can get lippy when having a few. That's what I (more likely TFJ) like to call "just the right amount of Tito's to get your ass kicked"

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited June 2013
    Aviator said:

You guys make me sick with envy. We don't get full whole packers.

We get flats, but I am going to do one again. Trouble is then there is all this meat to eat and I wont be allowed to cook again till its almost gone. I love to cook on the egg more than eating all of it. Filled up two fridges once and got banned from the deck.

:(
    I'm sure you've seen this story from me before but it's true and it works. Take what you won't eat to the fire station nearest you and tell the fellas/ladies that you are practicing for a competition and you cook more than you could ever eat. Drop it off, tell them thanks for all they do and tell them to let you know what they think. They will love you forever, SWMBO can't get mad at your philanthropic acts,  and you go buy more and do it all over next weekend. I still have buddies from doing this 7-8 years ago when I was learning and they are 1200 miles away. They still cook on my old gasser at the station to this day.

• lousubcap
    edited June 2013
    @Cen_Tex-I just climbed aboard the bourbon (Double Oaked) train.  No brisket on the near-term horizon but a SWMBO a$$kick is rapidly approaching.
  • lousubcap said:
    @Cen_Tex-I just climbed aboard the bourbon (Double Oaked) train.  No brisket on the near-term horizon but a SWMBO a$$kick is rapidly approaching.
    good luck. Just avoid the "stop drinking and take a shower" talk. never ends well.

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Yeah, I'd probably have to buy a new freezer if it ever got that high quality brisket ever got that low around here. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Darn it! All out at my HEB :(

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    caliking said:
    Dont give up, Sally. These are not just ordinary CAB briskets. There is almost no trimming needed. I can get Choice brisket year round for $2.00 per lb at the commissary but they have a ton of fat on the outside. 

These suckers are special. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Aviator
    edited June 2013
    caliking said:
    Dont give up, Sally. These are not just ordinary CAB briskets. There is almost no trimming needed. I can get Choice brisket year round for $2.00 per lb at the commissary but they have a ton of fat on the outside. 

These suckers are special. 

Sally??? Whats up with yu and calli. Sorry, I didn't ask, please don't tell.
    :))

Jk guys, I know its Sat eve and the ole nasty is to blame.

Chattanooga, TN.

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    cazzy said:

At that price I might have to drive to Texas

Lol...no kidding. I'm pretty sad I couldn't score 1. I pay $4.49 for CAB at my butcher.
    Last weekend at Granzin's, they had CAB for 3.39 a pound. May have been a special, but it's worth a peak.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I hate you Texas peeps. 1.77/lb? Secede already! You all suck! ;)

By the way, ship me 2 or 3. I'll pay for the dry ice and everything.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665

I hate you Texas peeps. 1.77/lb? Secede already! You all suck! ;)

By the way, ship me 2 or 3. I'll pay for the dry ice and everything.

Haha if they secede I'm jumping on over there! Step one sell house-- check!

XLBGE 
  • TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    I hesitated to buy more than 1 at a time because I have never frozen pre-cooked brisket before.  Does freezing the pre-cooked meat do anything negative to the quality?
    Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

• TEggSun said:
    I hesitated to buy more than 1 at a time because I have never frozen pre-cooked brisket before.  Does freezing the pre-cooked meat do anything negative to the quality?

yes. freezing anything is not the best you can do but these are outstanding briskets. Well worth freezing and keeping at this price.
  • TEggSun
    Thanks, @The Cen-Tex Smoker.  Would you suggest I rub it down before freezing or simply freeze it vacuum packed as is?

• TEggSun said:
    Thanks, @The Cen-Tex Smoker.  Would you suggest I rub it down before freezing or simply freeze it vacuum packed as is?

freeze it in the cryo if it is in cryo. Don't rub before freezing.
  • TEggSun
    Makes sense.  Thanks.  I'm off to HEB in the morning.   :D

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited June 2013
    TEggSun said:

I'm sure it was a tongue slip, but these are raw briskets, not pre-cooked. :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....