Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I *USED TO* be a fan of Wicked Good charcoal...

Comments

• LDR
    LDR Posts: 414

Evidently, Wicked isn't available here in Arkansas.  At least, their web page doesn't list any sources, so I guess I don't care if they can keep stock or not.  All I've used is Ozark Oak, but I'm about to hunt down the brisket information from CenTex and do my first long cook.  What's a couple of recommendations for something better for the long cooks?  Thanks!

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168

The first rule of customer service is the customer is KING!  Not just influential customers.  Every customer.  Being nice to the Whiz is good business for them, but in the age of communication we live in, poor customer service to anybody can be very damaging.

There has been plenty of good word about WG in the grapevine around here.  Folks liked the charcoal.  Part of every product is the customer service.  This episode is a customer service error and it has tainted the reputation of the product in many people's minds.  If you choose to give WG slack, that's your opinion.  Some choose not to give WG slack (at least at this time) and that's their opinion.  Either opinion is valid and there's no need for personal attacks.

Flint, Michigan
  • LDR said:

Evidently, Wicked isn't available here in Arkansas.  At least, their web page doesn't list any sources, so I guess I don't care if they can keep stock or not.  All I've used is Ozark Oak, but I'm about to hunt down the brisket information from CenTex and do my first long cook.  What's a couple of recommendations for something better for the long cooks?  Thanks!

i only use ozark oak. I'm going to take the road less travelled though and switch to Wicked good. :)). all kidding aside- Ozark is great for any cook. WGWW is really good too. They just had a bad PR day but I'm sure they are good folks trying to make an honest living. I do appreciate the drama they threw our way tonight, but it too shall pass and all will be right in the egg kingdom once again. (just hope not tonight)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136

LDR said:

i only use ozark oak. I'm going to take the road less travelled though and switch to Wicked good. :)).

all kidding aside- Ozark is great for any cook. WGWW is really good too. They just had a bad PR day but I'm sure they are good folks trying to make an honest living. I do appreciate the drama they threw our way tonight, but it too shall pass and all will be right in the egg kingdom once again. (just hope not tonight)

Yeah, this has been excellent entertainment!!

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • LDR
    Right - it's been a lively evening - reminds me of friends sitting around a campfire and giving each other crap.  I'm glad to hear the Ozark Oak works well for you - I had seen a few posts that it wasn't as good for long cooks.  I've still got a dozen bags in the garage.  I got somewhat oversupplied one weekend when I saw HenApple was coming through town.  I'm sure he's why Harps is dedicating more space to lump than it had been.
  • LDR said:
    Right - it's been a lively evening - reminds me of friends sitting around a campfire and giving each other crap.  I'm glad to hear the Ozark Oak works well for you - I had seen a few posts that it wasn't as good for long cooks.  I've still got a dozen bags in the garage.  I got somewhat oversupplied one weekend when I saw HenApple was coming through town.  I'm sure he's why Harps is dedicating more space to lump than it had been.

I've cooked on it exclusively for a year or so.I've done a few briskets in that time :). All good here. WGWW is probably better for low and slow but OO is a great every day lump (if you like paying $1.19 per lb for you revery day lump). you won't have any problems. No reason to switch for different cooks unless you are in to that kind of thing
  • LDR

I've got to admit I'm spoiled here.  That Harps carries it at $5 a bag, so it's hard to use anything else. 

• dislike. $11.00 here.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843

I just know it's hard to obtain as I would have to make a 100 mile round trip from Tampa just to get a bag, doesn't make sense and doesn't make sense it's not available in such a big market.

Ace in Dunedin stocks it. Will have to wait a month till they get it in again.
    Dunedin, FL
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited May 2013
    I have no dog in the fight but I call first dibs (post 6) I think it was that the reaction was nothing to boycott her over.

Its getting crazy in here.... I am back to page 5 to finish up reading . #:-S

I see both sides, but I've only purchased one bag from ace on sale. I was not a true customer.
    Seattle, WA
  • jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    cazzy said:
    Cazzy, I brought it up because he said ipad. Apple is SINKING and be sure to sell you stock or you will loose more and ALL.  This is not to distract from the thread, and its purpose, but to just inject some egghead fun into it. :))
    Sinking? Damn, then I need to tell all the people I see with iOS or Mac to toss their devices in the trash. On a daily basis, I see 10:1 Apple to Android...so I have a ton of work to do!!

:D
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701

Ok well what if @GQuiz is eating the lump, hey it could happen, you never know.  #-o

Yeah, kinda mistyped that while waiting in baggage claim. @travisstrick knew what I meant. Central Market Lump is my go to now. I wanted to try WGWW but hadn't made it downtown. Now it's a moot point. It's not available in SA.

I agree the response from the co-owner was regrettable. But if the lump is that good, would you pass on it because of her slip-up? And why pick on the Whiz? Being a quasi-lurker myself, I don't appreciate the rush to the brink. I love cooking on my Egg. I look to you for guidance and advice. Save your hatchets for the wood chunks that accompany. Where's Rodney King when you need him... "Can't we all just get along?"

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • cazzy
    GQuiz said:

Ok well what if @GQuiz is eating the lump, hey it could happen, you never know.  #-o

Yeah, kinda mistyped that while waiting in baggage claim. @travisstrick knew what I meant. Central Market Lump is my go to now. I wanted to try WGWW but hadn't made it downtown. Now it's a moot point. It's not available in SA.

I agree the response from the co-owner was regrettable. But if the lump is that good, would you pass on it because of her slip-up? And why pick on the Whiz? Being a quasi-lurker myself, I don't appreciate the rush to the brink. I love cooking on my Egg. I look to you for guidance and advice. Save your hatchets for the wood chunks that accompany. Where's Rodney King when you need him... "Can't we all just get along?"
    It's all entertainment and everything will equalize. Most will continue to buy WGWW, assuming it's available.
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    edited May 2013
    Wow,that turned into a sh*tshow pretty quick! Entertaining though. I don't think I have ever seen so many people say they will boycott a product due to an email like that. I agree she was out of line but it could have been much worse in terms of mistreatment and abusive language. As others have said, the truth usually lies somewhere in the middle. Oh we'll, lets put this thing to rest and get back to posting about BBQ, great cooks and other OT stuff. Now lets move on to some uncontroversial topics....politics and religion :))
  • Firemedic183
    Firemedic183 Posts: 197
    GA_Dawgs said:
    . Now lets move on to some uncontroversial topics....politics and religion :))

Or Apple vs Android.
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Oh, boy...WG ( the product ) is good, but not good enough for this "care not" nonsense.  Think I'll use up my last bag, and consider other brands that I used to use.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

Speaking as a business owner.   This is an example that I will print out distribute within my company.   Example of having a superior product, but a poor mindset of customer service from the top of the company.

Please, this forum has to rank within the top 2 of BGE owners.   BGE I would think is the largest segement of the Kamodo market which is all about lump charcoal.

What % of their market does this topic impact.   It has to be measureable. 

What I am saying, of the market for lump charcoal does this forum have exposure to 10%, 20% of the purchasers?   Remember its not just about the active posters, but the lurkers that read this.

Nakedwhiz, I have the upmost respect for you having followed your postings over the years.  Have no doubt about your comment about Lee Ann and Larry being very nice people.   But the email response was a horrible customer service response.

Cazzy - you have a good point, that alot of people will buy WGWW if its available - but - I would maintain that those are the people that buy a bag that lasts them 8-9 months.   I probably use 18-22 bags a year, and would guess thats not a huge amount compared to the people on this forum.  In other words they have to find 20 customers to make up for 1 customers lost through this forum.

The sad thing is, it is a superior product - such an opportunity.

The only reason my local ACE hardware started carrying the product was because I went in and talked to the owner, suggested it.   6 months later he was thanking me.  when I looked at the website, they have 4 or 5 locations in Texas which are listed, all in Austin south.   I guess Wicked Good has written off Texas as a market.

Yes, Lee Ann if you are reading this thread -- I am pissed.   Look it up, bet you find 20 or 30 different threads where I extolled the wonderful product of Wicked Good.   Have converted my friends with eggs to wicked good.   You just killed that.  Its not about me, I am just one of many out there.

Multiply me by 10, 100, 1000 - Wicked Good has a significant market problem at this point.   If Wicked Good wants to be the lump charcoal business they have an uphill battle.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cookin in Texas
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Beat a dead horse!!! OK.. We get it, don't buy it!! Why does everyone feel the need to chime in?? Don't buy it and move on to your next cook... Pics or it didn't happen!!!
  • boatbum
    Lowflyer said:
    Beat a dead horse!!! OK.. We get it, don't buy it!! Why does everyone feel the need to chime in?? Don't buy it and move on to your next cook... Pics or it didn't happen!!!

I guess cause I was such a recommender of the product as others have been.  Kinda hits home when this happens.

This is central topic for eggers, you are not successful if you cannot control the temp of the Egg - especially when you are cooking low and slow.   90% of my cooking is low and slow.   A critical element of temp is the charcoal that you are using.

Guess what I am trying to respectfully say, this is a big thing to an egger.   Maybe thats why this topic has so many perpectives offerred.

Cookin in Texas
  • cazzy
    Lowflyer said:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

:D
  • Lowflyer
    boatbum said:

Lowflyer said:

I guess cause I was such a recommender of the product as others have been.  Kinda hits home when this happens.

This is central topic for eggers, you are not successful if you cannot control the temp of the Egg - especially when you are cooking low and slow.   90% of my cooking is low and slow.   A critical element of temp is the charcoal that you are using.

Guess what I am trying to respectfully say, this is a big thing to an egger.   Maybe thats why this topic has so many perpectives offerred.

I'm a fan of WGWW, but why does everyone have to share their opinion? I get it, she made a dumb comment, move on... If u like it: buy it, if you don't: don't.

• Lowflyer
    boatbum said:

Lowflyer said:

Oh, and maybe I should state that I'm an Egger as well. I'm the owner of a large and a small, not for very long (a Lil over 18 months) and I've recommended the product as well.

• boatbum
    ok, I will shut up.  Guess a couple of people have voted to close down discussion.
    Cookin in Texas
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980

TonyA said:
    Caliking took a jab at WG because he can't get it in his area at the price he wants. The WG woman made a pointless and ill conceived response because he was trying to damage the good name of her company. Caliking proceeds to put the entire, otherwise private, conversation on the forum after clearly getting the best of the WG woman's composure. The WG woman's wording is easily taken to the exteme if not entirely out of context. A pile on ensues. Shocking in this place. These guys make a little charcoal and are gracious enough to ship it to your door at a number. They could probably hand pick the buyers. They simply don't make enough. Not available in your area? Find another charcoal. It's charcoal! Too say you were treated poorly after trying to publicly damaging the company's image is weak. It's not like the WG woman told a customer in good standing he was wrong. She told a guy who made a jab at her company that he knew nothing about her business and pleaded for respect. Truth be told, she doesn't need his business or anyone else who buys this scenario. They run out of the stuff ... I think they have sales covered outside of the big green egg forum.
    TonyA, extremely well said.

Whiners are getting on my nerves because of one idiots taking some communication public.

Wait! What would it take to make our whiner-in-chief happy? Is he looking for a freebie?
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

I just want to say thank you to all. That made roughly the first 30 minutes of my day go by quicker. Smoke break and then I guess I'll get some work done before coming back here and wasting more time.

Oh, and I'll stick to the three I can find around me: RO, B&B or Central Market mesquite.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    edited May 2013
    Lowflyer said:
    I am not sure why everyone feels a need to chime in 
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    I try to escape my whiny 6 and 8 year old daughters and come on to this thread. Now I'm not sure which is worse!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Lowflyer said:
    Lowflyer said:

I'm a fan of WGWW, but why does everyone have to share their opinion? I get it, she made a dumb comment, move on... If u like it: buy it, if you don't: don't.
    Why does everyone have to share their opinion?
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

r270ba said:
    Lowflyer said:
    Lowflyer said:

Why does everyone have to share their opinion?
    I agree!  I wish everyone would stop responding to this thread!  

(Irony sinking in yet??) ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.