Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So much for the $60 I saved on my Shun knife

Eventfull day at Casa Centex today. TFJ was prepping our throwdown cook and knocked my new Shun off the counter...........into her foot. It was pretty gruesome but she's all stitched up and home again. Careful out there boys and girls........

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• ptmurphy
    ptmurphy Posts: 42
    My wife won't even get near my "good" knifes - scared to death of them - now I see why!
  • ptmurphy said:
    My wife won't even get near my "good" knifes - scared to death of them - now I see why!
    she said she was done with this one too but any or our knives would have cut her on this one. She said she didn't feel a thing. This one is razor sharp.

• JaredMD
    JaredMD Posts: 59
    Wow, so sorry.. accidents happen but man that's a rough one.. hopefully there wasn't any serious tendon damage or anything?  
    XL BGE - Baltimore, MD
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Hope she is OK and hope it heals clean. My wife does not use my knives either for same reason.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• Ow, geez!  Here's hoping for a fast and full recovery.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Spousal abuse?

Jk. Sorry to see that, Ouch! That will need a lot of payback, brother.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• chris123stock
    chris123stock Posts: 664
    Dang  you know you have to do everything now. Sorry, hope she feels better
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Dude that sux!  I'm sorry to hear about that and hope she is doing better.  This is one of those things you would never see coming.  Are you still going to leave it on display or will you be looking for a "sheath" to keep that sword in? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    $600 dollar knife now, at least. Does look like a surgical grade incision though. Hope it's not too bad, and she will always have it to hold over your head, which is nice. :D
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    That's just another reason I'm glad my knives barely cut tomatoes. My heart goes out to Grillen Girl and hope there isn't a scar!
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Jrod72
    Jrod72 Posts: 67
    My wife won't touch my good knife too. I won't be showing this to her. Take care!
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited May 2013
    Ps Cen-tex, you'll wanna make sure ya wear pants when you use that knife... :D
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Ya know it was really Cen-Tex I was worried about, kind of a Ninja Turtle with a real Ninja tool. Not good to hear "TFJ" was hurt, trust she is milking it for all it is worth and our best wishes for a fast road to recovery. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Ouch, quick healing wishes sent your way.
    Lynnwood WA
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I cringe to see the pic. I have a visceral reaction to images like that. And why?

"She said she didn't feel a thing."

Yeah, a good knife will let you bleed all over the place without any feeling but a tiny little nip, I must admit.

I wish I could find the link. I saw a vid from a professional sharpener. His children are not allowed in the room when he is working. When doing food prep, he always lays the knife at arms length, blade facing away. Lots of good cautions from someone who makes these giant razors.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I was so hoping that was your leg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Thanks all- she is doing well. She actually came home, went straight in to the kitchen and cooked a pot of soup and prepped our throw down meal. I've been telling her to get off her feet but she just wants to "get this done". I'm sure it's going to be sore when the lidacane wears off but for now, she's just powering through. 
  • Dude that sux!  I'm sorry to hear about that and hope she is doing better.  This is one of those things you would never see coming.  Are you still going to leave it on display or will you be looking for a "sheath" to keep that sword in? 
    I don't think she's in any hurry to mess with it again. Any of our knives would have cut her if dropped on her feet. Just a freak accident. She was actually cutting carrots but wasn't using it at the time she knocked it off the counter. 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited May 2013
    I bought my Mom and my MIL stainless Wustoffs for Christmas a few years back and my Mom knocked hers off the counter and embedded about three inches of it just above her knee. Hope TFJ is OK

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I bought my Mom and my MIL stainless Wustoffs for Christmas a few years back and my Mom knocked hers off the counter and embedded about three inches of it just above her knee. Hope TFJ is OK
    she will be OK- I think she'll be sore for a few days but we really got lucky. Bad but could have been much worse.

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Boy the Cen-Tex household has been cheating death lately...fire, falling knives...time to invest in body armor!
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • CPARKTX said:
    Boy the Cen-Tex household has been cheating death lately...fire, falling knives...time to invest in body armor!
    This egging thing is going to be the death of me yet......
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Egads.. TFJ=The fenestrated Janell.

My condolences @Girl_on_grill, may your fabulousness return with haste.

Cen-Tex will rub your feet to promote circulation and healing. Eggcelsior commands!
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Somebody once told me a dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp knife. I say nuh uh!

Glad she is okay. What a way to put a crimp in the throw down thing.
    Happy healing to TFJ.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Ouch.  Hope she heals quickly.
    Canugghead Posts: 11,457
    edited May 2013
    Yikes, hope there's no nerve damage and she heals well.  Sorry, don't mean to thread jack, the fishing line looks familiar, had a nasty one myself not that long ago  :-O  Everyone please be careful :\">

canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Bummer for sure, but glad to hear that she is okay. My best wishes for a speedy recovery. 

Get some cocoa butter with vitamin E and rub on the scar a few times daily, starting 3-4days after the day of injury. Vitamin E is great for skin healing and will help to minimize the scar.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Thanks for all the well wishes! I'm just glad I didn't get into a fight with a mandolin. Yikes, @canugghead!
  • jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    You forgot to buy the $300 Shun boots to go with the knife.
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Ouch Janell!  Hope you feel better soon!

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.