Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Let's Throw It Down!!!

The Egghead Forum is having it's first throw down. And here are the details.

Who: Anyone a part of the Eggheadforum
When: Starts today and Ends 11:59 on Monday 5/27 (Memorial Day)
What: Details below
Why: Because a little competition never hurt anyone, well maybe Timmy.
Where: Here in this thread.
How: Details Below

The what: The throw down this week we will start off simply with chicken
  -Details: Cook anything chicken you want. It can be a whole chicken, it can be wings, it could be a chicken neck for all we care. Just has to be chicken as the main item (so you could do a chicken curry, chicken bombs, chicken burger, spatch chicken, etc.)
  -It MUST be cooked/grilled/smoked/cold smoked, etc on the Egg. It can be on a mini, a large, a XXL, but it has to be done on the egg. (No not every single ingredient needs to be done on the egg, but the majority of the cook yes).
  -Include the following pictures for entry: Ingredients, pre-cook (raw chicken, etc), cook on the egg, and a finished product (either plated or finished on the egg)
  -Include the recipe of your cook.
  -Post everything to this thread (pictures, recipe, cook, etc).
  -The forum will be the judge and the person with the most "Likes/Agrees" wins. Winning = bragging rights. We will give till Thursday 5/30 at 11:59 for voting. Friday 5/31 starts a new throw down.
  -If you are using someone else's method/recipe from this forum please site that you are: "Travis Method" "Carwash Mike" "Naked Whiz" yada yada yada
  -Do not create new user IDs to vote for yourself, that is just plain stupid.
  -Please don't hijack this thread.
  -If you have questions please PM me, or start a new thread, let's leave this one mostly for recipes.

Let the throw down begin!!

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited May 2013

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    For Clarificaiton (since the site says I don't have permission to edit my own post), it is  11:59 PM Pacific Time.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I'm hav'in trouble findin "chicken necks" :((
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    "bump"

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2013

I haz a question, Sir. L-)

Should the raw chicken be still alive with feathers on?

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• fletcherfam
    @Aviator, sure if you want to. You may get bonus points for slaughtering your own chicken then cooking it.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    @fletcherfam, just kidding bro. Some one's gotta start the silliness. :D

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• fletcherfam
    @Aviator, oh no biggie, by no means was I trying to be cheeky about it. I have chickens for hens at my house and have thought about raising meat birds so I figured if you were already doing it then atta boy for some bonus points! ;)
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795

@Scottborasjr, whatever the scoring system is, I think you get a bonus point for showing the bones.

We're off to a good start.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Thanks guys, the real point of this cook was no one had submitted anything so I thought what better cook to start with then a Keep It Simple Stupid cook and do quick wings.  From lighting the egg to taking the wings off was less then 45 minutes.  I'm sure the more artistic amongst us will be along in the next 24-48 hours.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Creating new ID's won't work anyways since it takes them so long to process requests...lol
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    edited May 2013
    Looks Great @smokeypitt I guess the bar has been set!
    Lynnwood WA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Looks like a winner right there @smokeypitt

Damn fine work boss!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061

Chicken Cordon Bleu Bombe

Sauce with Dijon, Salt, Pepper, Garlic, white wine vinegar:

Chicken quarter:

Chicken quarter de-boned:

Butterflied Chicken breast:

Pounded the breast and deboned quarter flat with a mallet.  Layered from the bottom up: quarter meat, sauce,swiss, ham, breast, sauce, swiss, ham:

Chicken log ready to wrap in bacon:

Wrapped up- went into the freezer for 20 minutes.

Ready to Go (dusted with Oak Ridge rub after this pic):

Cooked at 325-350 with some cherry wood.  After about 50 minutes added some asparagus.

Cooked about 1:10 minutes:

Rested and sliced:

Added more wine, half and half, and drippings to Dijon sauce and reduced while meat rested to make a creamy Dijon topping. 

Chicken Cordon Bleu Bombe:
    You win
    Mark Annville, PA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'm taking your Ozark back... No lump for you. =D>
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • sticks88
    sticks88 Posts: 94
    Ya I was going to enter with my first cook on the new XL tomorrow as my son almost has the table done ,but dam the bar is set high now.

XL BGE and Pellet smoker

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Thanks all for the kind words.  I actually intended this to be a practice run, but I went ahead and started taking pics and it came together so I went with it!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    @SmokeyPitt Dear lord how do I delete my post from above, my minimal effort wings don't deserve to be on the same page as this masterpiece.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    I think i'm out this round. Beautiful job I am going to try that though
  • SmokeyPitt
    @SmokeyPitt Dear lord how do I delete my post from above, my minimal effort wings don't deserve to be on the same page as this masterpiece.
    Nothing wrong with some KISS wings!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fletcherfam
    Hey y'all, Mrs. Fletch here. The Mr. left his browser open :) I read/saw what SmokeyPitt made and drooled over it. It looks and sounds amazing! Now I know what we'll be having next weekend ;)
  • henapple
    I tried my cook last night.... Fail. Back to the drawing board.
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214

Hey y'all, Mrs. Fletch here. The Mr. left his browser open :) I read/saw what SmokeyPitt made and drooled over it. It looks and sounds amazing! Now I know what we'll be having next weekend ;)

Oh you should have posted something really bad....
    Lynnwood WA
  • SmokeyPitt
    Mrs fletch here again, smokeypit does it matter if you pound the breasts or thighs first? Or is it just they both need a good pounding? Can wait to have Mr fletch do this next weekend! Nothing like tender tits and smokey thighs covered in bacon!

Hi Mrs Fletch,

I don't think it matters which you pound first, but I did think it was best to have the dark meat on the outside.  Give them a good pounding...one thing I would do differently is try to get those breasts flatter (this is the one and only time I will say such a thing). 

I don't think it would make a huge difference either way...but my thinking is the dark meat is more forgiving at higher temps so it should be on the outside. 

"Tender tits and smokey thighs"...too funny!

• BigGreenBamaGriller
    BigGreenBamaGriller Posts: 629
    edited May 2013
    Well, I didn't realize my finished product pic was terrible until it was too late, but here we go.
    I made Teriyaki chicken wings, edamame, rice noodles, and grilled pineapple slices.

Tossed the chicken in corn starch, lemon pepper, garlic salt and a little cayenne.

Cooked the wings at 375-400 raised direct until crispy.

Made rice noodles per box instructions and edamame on stove, added S&P and squirted siracha on top. Forgot to take pics of pineapple on grill, but I'm sure you've seen that before. After tossing wings in teriyaki sauce, I sprinkled sesame seeds and sliced green onion on top.

Again, sorry for the terrible foto-grafy... 
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • henapple
    @Que_n_Brew... Did you glaze these?