Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoking question

So I have a real question for once. I am getting peach wood for smoking, has anyone used it and for what? Not sure why I got it seems to be very popular, just wondering.  Thanks

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited April 2013
    Peach is, IMHO, good for all light meats, chicken, turkey and pork loin. Never tried it with fish. My experience it is a milder wood. 

Never bought it, just from a friends "tree". My goto is apple. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    It will go with anything IMO. I always use lighter woods (fruit) on anything but beef. Hit beef a little harder.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • @skiddymarker, thanks that helps, i thought about salmon, I use sliced peach on it anyway.

@chubbs yes I would agree fruit is mild, and not for beef. Thank you sir.
  • The coolest thing about fruit woods is if you brine your meat the fruit flavor really comes through in the meat. I use cherry for brined chicken and you can really taste the cherry. it's not subtle. 

I do it on wings with a sweet/spicy rub and glaze and the cherry just pops. I'm sure peach would do the same. It adds a whole other flavor dimension so try it with something brined........

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041

The coolest thing about fruit woods is if you brine your meat the fruit flavor really comes through in the meat. I use cherry for brined chicken and you can really taste the cherry. it's not subtle. 

I do it on wings with a sweet/spicy rub and glaze and the cherry just pops. I'm sure peach would do the same. It adds a whole other flavor dimension so try it with something brined........

It does pop I brined big chops and reverse sears with heavy peach at 200. Balsamic glaze to finish. Amazing. I have done salmon with 1 chunk of peach it's subtle enough it doesn't overpower.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Peach is my favorite all around wood.  I use it for anything/everything.   Peach just smells great, love hanging around the egg after throwing it in.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Peach has become my favorite. Still use oak on brisket but use peach for everything else. Mix peach with oak or hickory for ribs and butts.
    XL BGE
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    I like Peach, IMHO, because the flavors resulted are mild, light  ..nice with meats such as chicken, fish, pork...also misc. condiments.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • I use peach on everything.  I use different wood from time to time just for something different.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    We have had very good results using Peach wood on our pork butts. It adds a new level to the flavor profile.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I mainly use pecan, but it is strong, and i have had trouble with it overpowering certain foods, i have to pick up some peach and use it on more of my cooks!!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    The coolest thing about fruit woods is if you brine your meat the fruit flavor really comes through in the meat. I use cherry for brined chicken and you can really taste the cherry. it's not subtle. 

Interesting, always learn something here. Although I do brine, I always assumed it was the brining made the rub more intense, maybe it is a combination of smoke and rub. (Usual is a smoky Ozark rub for chicken)
    It is time to try 1/2 chicken without rub and and 1/2 with rub using some cherry smoke to see how it compares. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    I use peach and pecan mixed on all my pork.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Thank you all, I just got a chicken, so sunday I am going to try the peach, you guys all rock no matter what anyone says. Thank again. ^:)^