Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

do you wrap your Brisket?

Options
I have never wrapped my Briskets and they always turn out great, but I have spoken to more and more people that not only wrap with aluminum foil but with plastic wrap.  I'm curious to see what the Egg Head Nation had to say about it. If you do wrap it at what time or temp?  I cook low and slow around 210-225.

Thanks in advance,

MarvMan TX

Comments

• newby84
    newby84 Posts: 133
    Options
    Only done one so far, did a low and slow didn't wrap it
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Nope
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    never when cooking. I wrap after for an hour or more in a cooler.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I'm going to try wrapping one with paper after the stall on Monday.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Only if trying to power through the stall.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    I wrap with butcher paper (not waxed) after the stall and you have achieved the bark you desire. The paper helps with moisture control but does not soften the bark.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I took a class last year that was taught by Chris Marks, pitmaster of the Ace of Hearts BBQ team.  They wrap all of their briskets in plastic wrap once they hit 165*.  He did admit that it cuts down own the bark but feels you gain an advantage by how moist the brisket is.  Who was I to argue??  He has won the American Royal eight times!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    I have gotten to where I cook briskets (whole and flats) in foil pans and wrap tightly when the brisket gets in the 160* range. This helps it finish with moisture but also preserves the liquids for flavor later
  • chris123stock
    Options
    No I tried it once, it was way to moist, I like it a little dryer. 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I'm going to try wrapping one with paper after the stall on Monday.  
    Thought I might give this a try as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    all great info.  Many thanks. I will post how it turns out.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    when you do slice it, slice and serve immediately, slice it at the table
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tazcrash
    Options
    when you do slice it, slice and serve immediately, slice it at the table
    And please make sure you cut across the grain!!!!! 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Andymizunogolfer
    Options
    Plastic wrap? How does that not melt?
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    The good commercial stuff like you get in the bulk rolls at Sam's can take heat up to 300* if I'm not mistaken.  I've never had the stuff melt for me.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Plastic wrap? How does that not melt?
    It must be a really low cooker. The melting point starts at 250.
  • Andymizunogolfer
    Options
    There is no way I would use plastic wrap on a grill. Just seems like a bad idea.
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    +1 with Crimsongator.  Did exactly as he said for our christmas brisket and wow, I nailed it.  Will always do the same from now on. But it cooked a lot faster than expected AF (after foil).
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    Options
    B&BKnox said:

+1 with Crimsongator.  Did exactly as he said for our christmas brisket and wow, I nailed it.  Will always do the same from now on. But it cooked a lot faster than expected AF (after foil).

Do you add any liquid to the pan? Is there bark on the bottom? It sounds kind of like a dry Travis Method unless you cook it at 225 or so (low and slow)
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    edited April 2013
    Options
    You can add some beef broth or beef base to the pan to help with flavor. Mostly you will generate your own jous so I don't always add liquids.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Somewhere, in America, a brisket is crying right now. :))
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    I did add a beef broth based solution, my brisket was in an aluminum pan on a shallow v rack, so the liquid level was below the base of the brisket.  I the covered the whole pan with foil and let it go.  No second stall and when I checked after a few hours sleep the tender probe as I call it went in and out like it was melted butter.  Yes the crust was no longer dry but if you cook the brisket dry and then foil and rest, steam from the meat softens the bark anyway.  I am no expert on cooking brisket but the results were so good I plan to repeat this way.  Moist and full of flavor.  I also injected the brisket with the same beef bas broth I used to braise/steam it.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    The new guru of Austin, TX barbecue Aaron Franklin is advising to wrap in butcher paper halfway through the cook. I will be giving it a try.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • tazcrash
    Options
    ibanda said:
    The new guru of Austin, TX barbecue Aaron Franklin is advising to wrap in butcher paper halfway through the cook. I will be giving it a try.
    The Cen-Tex Smoker.
    It's what he told me. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    ibanda said:

he does wrap and several of the places down here do as well. Can't hurt to try but they do it because they cook hotter to facilitate their service schedule. He claims he does it to protect the bark from getting scorched, not to get moisture or texture. The texture comes from the rest in paper, not the cook
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I heard trojan is the #1 brand when wrapping... B-)
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    I heard trojan is the #1 brand when wrapping... B-)
    Especially since they offer different sizing for the "Magnum" briskets.
  • Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    Options
    ibanda said:

he does wrap and several of the places down here do as well. Can't hurt to try but they do it because they cook hotter to facilitate their service schedule. He claims he does it to protect the bark from getting scorched, not to get moisture or texture. The texture comes from the rest in paper, not the cook
    I read the article cited and my inexpert conclusion is that they are using smokers that are not as efficient at not drying out the brisket as Eggs are.  I think that's one of the reasons he does a "wet" smoke with a pan of water beneath it.  My two cents.  

I can't see how the paper is any different than a braise with foil.  Butcher paper will still hold a ton of moisture next to the bark.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Foil is non-permeable. Butcher paper is partially permeable(air can pass through). That way it will hold in moisture but still allow smoke penetration.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I foil at 160f because I have had my best successes following Chris Lilly's brisket method but I plan to try butcher paper in the near future.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This