Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just purchased my first BGE

Morning!!..

So after much debate my wife purchased me a Large Green Egg with the Large Table to go with it.  

I have been reading up on the egg and am so exited.  My first question is how long does the charcoal last?  How long can I expect to cook with a full egg?  

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    naturally it depends on temp, type of cook...and type of lump. welcome and get involved here.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • rmuise
    rmuise Posts: 5
    Can you add more charcoal during the cooking process?
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Yes , but you probably won't need to. The egg is very efficient, I have cooked @ 250-275 F for over 17 hrs and still had plenty of charcoal left !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Welcome aboard. You will quickly learn the ins and outs of things like charcoal usage and temp control. That is all part of the fun. 

I have never had to add charcoal during any cook. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Welcome! Where do you hail from?
    Flint, Michigan
  • rmuise
    I am from Ottawa Ontario Canada

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Welcome aboard.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Welcome!

For a low temp cook, say around 250F dome, I expect a minimum of 20 hours with the lump piled half way up into the fire ring. There have been reports over the years of people doing a Boston butt, followed by ribs, followed by a steak sear in one marathon cook.

I think I may have needed to add lump once in the last 7 years.

I've had no trouble preheating the Egg, platesetter and baking stone up to 475 (about 45 min.) , and then baking bread for an hour. Usually have enough lump leftover to do burgers, etc.

If you are used to metal cookers, the issue of reloading charcoal no longer applies.

It took me about 2 years of internal debate to convince myself to buy an Egg. 2 cooks later, I realized I had wasted the previous 2 years in deliberation. You and your wide should be most pleased.

Besides reading thru the forum posts, do check out the Naked Whiz's Lump Charcoal Database, and Thirdeye's "Playing with fire and smoke" blog site.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    just try several different lumps. everyone's favorite is the best... find yours
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Welcome @rmuise always room for another Canuck. There will soon be the wonderful smell of smoked meat floating across the river driving Hull crazy. 
    Looks like your egg and table may get an ice coating this morning. 
    Basques lump charcoal is available in your area, Maple Leaf/Nature's Own/Sugar Maple all good stuff. Here in the Vancouver area we just started to get it. Royal Oak Star Grill (blue bag) is also good. BGE lump is made by Royal Oak. 
    Like others here have told you, 250F temps will hold for a day (24 hours) or so with a full firebox of lump. A pizza cook at 550F will empty the lump in 3 or 4 hours. 
    Cook with the dome closed. Burp it when you open it. After you light it, let the VOCs clear before you put anything on it - safe time is maybe 30 minutes. If food goes on too soon, it will taste like a burning garbage dump. An egg will heat very quickly, it cools very slowly. Good Luck!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Welcome, you came to the right place for questions,  there is a lot of great people here that can answer any questions you might have.  If you're in a pinch just ask and you'll get the answer that can save a cook. Welcome to the green world and enjoy the ride. 
  • Hey rmuise. I'm in the Toronto area. Getting my LBGE in a couple of weeks. I'm actually purchasing it down in Buffalo as the US prices are way less than here in Canada. My better half and I have to be in Denver for a few days so we'll be out of the country over the 72-hour time for the higher exemption level. I'll be a few dollars over so I'm hoping not to have to pay customs on the difference!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
  • Hey rmuise. I'm in the Toronto area. Getting my LBGE in a couple of weeks. I'm actually purchasing it down in Buffalo as the US prices are way less than here in Canada. My better half and I have to be in Denver for a few days so we'll be out of the country over the 72-hour time for the higher exemption level. I'll be a few dollars over so I'm hoping not to have to pay customs on the difference!

love the avatar. @Little_Steven actually has the 2nd largest inventory in the greater Toronto area. maybe you could work a deal with him :))

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

love the avatar. @Little_Steven actually has the 2nd largest inventory in the greater Toronto area. maybe you could work a deal with him :))

He was a good man! Not sure why that show ever got cancelled; it was way better than any of the other animated prime-time crap!

I paid for my BGE down in Buffalo last week so too late to source it locally but, thanks anyway.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

He was a good man! Not sure why that show ever got cancelled; it was way better than any of the other animated prime-time crap!

I paid for my BGE down in Buffalo last week so too late to source it locally but, thanks anyway.
    Steven is a forum member up there with 8 eggs. None for sale. he may have the 2nd largest inventory in greater Toronto though :)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873

I believe Hank only dealt in propane and propane accessories. He was a gasser man. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Welcome. I'm just south of Ottawa
  • rmuise
    canegger said:
    Welcome. I'm just south of Ottawa
    I am between winchester and kemptville..  Ottawa is just easier for most people

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Im between kemptville and north gower
  • Hi54putty said:

I believe Hank only dealt in propane and propane accessories. He was a gasser man. 
    You're correct Hi54Putty; but that, and a narrow urethra, where his only shortcomings!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    edited April 2013
    Welcome aboard and props for your optimism with the title-of course you will also spend $$ on all the after-market toys this forum will convince you that you have to have to make a lump burning fire do it's magic.  Degree of Kool-Aid consumption self controlled. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Welcome Aboard.

As far as your questions..from my experience.

Wicked Good or the official BGE lump seem to last the longest.  Fill up the firebox and at 275 it'll run for 24 hours strong.  I use Royal Oak from walmart for normal cooks because its the cheapest..but even with a full fire box..it only lasts me about 14-15 hours..

To save on our electric and gas bills last summer we bought 4 22lb back of wicked good($18 a pop), went the whole summer using 3 bags of lump.  We didnt use the oven, griddle, microwave once in three months. Keep the heat outside..and it was cheaper.

Do y'all large owners ever fill the lump past the firebox, on up into somewhere along the fire ring for long smokes?
    Gittin' there...
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Do y'all large owners ever fill the lump past the firebox, on up into somewhere along the fire ring for long smokes?
    Yep. Lots of times. Also if I'm searing. bing the hot-ness up. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    I live south of you in Central Texas. Welcome to the cult. Read the posts, try some and with trial and error you soon have your own favorites. Slow and steady beats hot and fast most of the time.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Welcome.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts