Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook on my new egg?

Greetings - first time egg owner here and first time poster to the forum as well.

I'm anxiously awaiting delivery of my new large egg.  Assuming the (hopefully) brief return to winter we're experiencing here in MN doesn't get in the way, it should be delivered tomorrow.  Unfortunately tomorrow night the fiance and I have reservations for dinner to celebrate our anniversary so that means I won't get to fire up the egg tomorrow.  The following day I'm heading to TX for five days at a conference so it's looking like I'm going to have to wait until I return to try this thing out.  As I tend to be the instant gratification type, it's going to be a tough five days!  

My hope is to do something for dinner on the egg the day I return from TX next week.  This leads me to my question.  From what I've read, it sounds like the first time you use your egg (or the first couple of times?  not sure), you need to keep the temp at around 350F to allow the gasket to cure.  I'm looking for suggestions as to dishes I could do for dinner at 350F.  Alternatively, would it make more sense to just fire up the egg, let it go at 350F for a while to cure, then let it get up to temp so I could do something like steaks?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Chris

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Welcome aboard.  Me, along with 10 other people are gonna say the same thing.  All together now

One...
    Two...
    Three...

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I'm one of the few that don't say that. Although I'm not a poultry person. I spent too much time as a kid killing and eating chicken but that's a story for another day.

I say go for some ribs, pork loin, or maybe burgers raised direct. I done a practice run with no food the day before my first cook. Whatever you do will be great. Have fun and welcome aboard.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Congrats on the new egg!  +1 on spatchcock chicken
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    spatchcock is a great first cook, I personally would say cook something that you were good at cooking on whatever you are used to grilling on. Congrats on the new purchase.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Do anything you want, gasket be damned.

The only thing about high heat cooks is that it is very easy to overshoot and wind up with fresh charcoal above the grid, instead of below it. It is helpful to get used to egg with temp regulation before doing the extremes that it can handle. They love being in the 350-450 range so this is a good place to start. Chicken, burgers, sausage, pork loin or tenderloin... The possibilities are endless.

You are going to learn a ton on this site. Don't mind the inpatients on the ward. They don't bite.

Look into attending a fest. You can learn a ton there. Youtube is your friend for cooking videos.

There is no "right" way to do things, just the way that makes you enjoy your food the most.

Welcome.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I'll buck the trend. I made a pork loin. Boy was that good. Gotta do that one again. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Welcome!  +1 on @eggcelsior's comments...tons to learn here, lots of great videos on Youtube - if you're like a lot of us, the egg will inspire some creativity and enthusiasm and may well make you a better cook. 

Hell - I say forget anniversary dinner reservations and egg something instead - chances are it will come out better anyway!
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    I did ribs for my first cook and I thought I made fairly decent ribs before but these were amazing from what I was told.

Gerhard
  • DJKrage
    DJKrage Posts: 15
    Bone-in rib-eye's done right and the next time around your fiance will choose to skip the dinner out in favor of what is served up from the Egg.

Spatchcock chicken is also great. 

Enjoy the journey... and get working on building your table!! An Egg needs a proper home you know.
  • ddegger said:
    Welcome!  +1 on @eggcelsior's comments...tons to learn here, lots of great videos on Youtube - if you're like a lot of us, the egg will inspire some creativity and enthusiasm and may well make you a better cook. 

Hell - I say forget anniversary dinner reservations and egg something instead - chances are it will come out better anyway!
    Slow down there turbo, ok blow off the dinner? Its his FIANCE!!!!!!!!  Not the wife yet, you cant blow this off, WOW that was close, but you could fake a bad back, see she will still feel bad for you, and then you can cook. I say ribs, or chicken, I say go slow, you have all the time in the world to cook amazing meals. There is some art to cooking on the BGE and there is not a right or wrong way. Its a blast, but you do have to post your cooks not all but some. Its like some law. Welcome and Happy Anniversary. 
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Welcome. I am prefer pork for first cook myself.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795

"Its his FIANCE!!!!!!!!"

All the more reason to establish the ground rules now - before the marriage. A man should be honest and forthright and show a woman exactly what she it getting when she is shopping before she buys the merchandise. 

Otherwise you are just pulling a "bait and switch".  That's not manly. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn said:

"Its his FIANCE!!!!!!!!"

All the more reason to establish the ground rules now - before the marriage. A man should be honest and forthright and show a woman exactly what she it getting when she is shopping before she buys the merchandise. 

Otherwise you are just pulling a "bait and switch".  That's not manly. 

Ok but you forgot to tell him what you would cook? Just saying :D
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    shtgunal3 said:
    I'm one of the few that don't say that. Although I'm not a poultry person. I spent too much time as a kid killing and eating chicken but that's a story for another day. I say go for some ribs, pork loin, or maybe burgers raised direct. I done a practice run with no food the day before my first cook. Whatever you do will be great. Have fun and welcome aboard.
    Yeah, a 250* pork loin cook is simple, easy and will show off the egg like nothing else

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Wow, thank you all for the responses!  So much feedback in such a short amount of time says a lot to me about this community.  Sounds like I've got some great options to consider next week while I'm away.
  • I went straight to a thick Rib-eye steak on my first cook and took it up to 600F (mostly because I didnt know how to control the fire yet). The gasket survived that first event.  Now all the pizzas and paella that I have cooked have killed the gasket, but it still works fine without one.
    LBGE, Twin Eagle 36" grill to hold my EGGcessories
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited April 2013
    Welcome, I'd keep the dinner with the soon to be SWMBO and blow off the business trip. 
    We all know you will go, so when in Texas, hit a BBQ joint, those boys know their stuff. 
    If anyone answers to the name of Travis, Mickey or Cen-Tex, it might be good for a BBQ moment, but you might never see your future SWMBO again, will she still love you if you're swilling a Tito's, wearing a kilt and munching on brisket, just saying. 
    Spatch the chicken or pork loin, can't go wrong. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Welcome!!,
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Wow, thank you all for the responses!  So much feedback in such a short amount of time says a lot to me about this community.  Sounds like I've got some great options to consider next week while I'm away.
    @ThirteenDaysAWeek one thing you can count on here is a lot of different opinions about what is THE best way to do things :)>-