Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Teriyaki chicken ( I think) and beef marrow, with sweet taters.

caliking
caliking Posts: 18,727
The weather was great in Houston this past weekend. Not much to do on Sunday, except go to a concert in the evening, so preparations were made for optimal utilization of a fine weekend morning.

Chicken was marinated in this mix overnight:

1/4 cup light soy sauce + splash each of fish, dark soy, Worcestershire sauces

¼ cup honey

¼ cup lime juice

1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/8 cup ketchup

1/8 cup Sriracha sauce
1 TBSP rice wine
1" fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic 
1 tsp sesame oil

The recipe is actually for Huli-Huli chicken, but I didn't have the pineapple, so I'm not sure what it should be called. 

Fired up the large. Already had some pecan wood in there, but I would have preferred fruit wood (like the orange wood which I have not had a chance to try yet). The chicken was cooked raised indirect. The clay saucer was pulled to the front on the lower grid to leave some space at the back for raised direct. No finer view from the kitchen window:

The groceries needed some sunshine. Sweet potatoes got some EVOO, pepper, DP Raising the Steaks, and were glazed with maple syrup when nearly done. Beef marrow got sesame oil, ghost pepper salt, cumin, and cayenne. Chicken marinade recipe posted above.

Cooked at 325°F. I didn't keep track of times. The chicken was skinless, because we have been trying to eat healthier, but it does taste even better with crispy skin. Decided to sacrifice the skin since we were eating the beef marrow for apps.

Pulled the beef marrow when the marrow looked browned. Sorry this is the only plated shot from this cook.

The chicken marinade was boiled and simmered to thicken. Moved the chicken to the back (raised direct) of the grid and glazed with the sauce. Pulled at IT 170ish. The sweet potatoes needed a  bit longer.

The beef marrow was eaten with homemade oat-wheat toast and was soooo good! I think we eat beef marrow once a year, so its a special treat. The chicken was moist and delicious, and is one SWMBO's fav things for me to make. It was a busy cook (making baos on the side), but a terrific way to spend a spring Sunday!

[Sorry for the lack of plated shots - things got busy towards the end].

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    That looks awesome. Love the cooking view
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    That looks great!  It definitely sounds like a busy cook.  The chicken marinade sounds really tasty and they turned out great looking. 

The beef marrow definitely seems like a treat.  Bookmarked!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Food looks very interesting! You might be concerned with paper towels around to egg as far as a fire issue?
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Looks so good and what a treat.  Did you keep the bones for broth?
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • caliking
    @SmokeyPitt - the chicken is even better with pineapple in the marinade. Puree about 1/2 - 1 cup of fresh (not canned) pineapple chunks with all the other ingredients and marinate for 4 hours or so. The pineapple has enzymes which will tenderize the chicken, but the texture of the meat can get goofy if it marinates for too long. The flavor is even better with pineapple.

Food looks very interesting! You might be concerned with paper towels around to egg as far as a fire issue?
    Didn't you notice my big blue fire extinguisher? :) You bring up a good point. I figure that the eggcrate is likely to go up in flames first, so the paper towels are not much of a concern. Although a strong case can be made for a nonflammable table,  the patio and pool deck are stone, and the house is sided with brick, so I'm hoping that there is a low chance of fire. 

• I think I just saw Gilligan and the skipper hiding in the brush..........image
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • and here is cali overseeing his domain:

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    Pool guy and lawn guy, respectively. :)

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    caliking said:
    @SmokeyPitt - the chicken is even better with pineapple in the marinade. Puree about 1/2 - 1 cup of fresh (not canned) pineapple chunks with all the other ingredients and marinate for 4 hours or so. The pineapple has enzymes which will tenderize the chicken, but the texture of the meat can get goofy if it marinates for too long. The flavor is even better with pineapple.

That sounds great- will definitely give it a try. I tried Allegro for the first time on chicken legs yesterday.  It was good, but a little too salty for me.  I think I might steal your recipe and mix with the Allegro.  The first ingredient in Allegro is soy sauce so I may just sub it in this recipe. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• caliking
    @SmokeyPitt - I just remembered that I felt the chicken was too salty for my taste, so you may want to add less soy. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    caliking said:

That sounds great- will definitely give it a try. I tried Allegro for the first time on chicken legs yesterday.  It was good, but a little too salty for me.  I think I might steal your recipe and mix with the Allegro.  The first ingredient in Allegro is soy sauce so I may just sub it in this recipe. 
    +1 - Doc turned me onto Allegro (along with many others no doubt) I found it a touch too salty as well. Have used it as soy sauce in Cazzy's wing recipe - outstanding. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Caliking's(pool boy) wife:

• caliking
    @Eggcelsior: for your continuing good health, I won't let her see that :)

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    If I must beg forgiveness, I will dance for her in the speedo.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    Another fantastic spread, @caliking! =P~ Not letting my wife see this post, or else she'd be begging me to put in a pool. ;) The view is amazing!
  • caliking
    @Dyal_SC - thanks! We love being outside, especially when i'm cooking on the weekends... or  any day for that matter.

BTW, I was born in Columbia. Lived in West Columbia until I was 8. My dad used to work at Richland Memorial Hospital, but I think it is known by another name now.

@Eggcelsior - That's my job :))

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks great! I can only imagine how good that marrow was! I might have to get those cast iron pieces for my small! 

Pool area is looking great! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.