Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time - 6.5 lb Whole Brisket Flat

Hey guys-

Tomorrow I'm attempting my first brisket. I have a large bge with all the appropriate eggcessories. Does anyone have any tips or special recipes?

My plan is to cook indirect at 225 until the meat reaches internal of 195. After the first two hours of cooking I'll put it in a large disposable aluminum tray to capture all the juices from the smoke. Am I on the right track?

Thanks for your help. Looking forward to the comments.

Large BGE, DigiQ DX2

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Brisket cooking is discussed here almost every day. Scroll down a few pages and you'll find lots of info.

Two great sources of brisket cooking information are:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

and

http://bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • 0oHUNTo0
    0oHUNTo0 Posts: 34
    Shiff said:
    Brisket cooking is discussed here almost every day. Scroll down a few pages and you'll find lots of info.

Two great sources of brisket cooking information are:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

and

http://bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php
    Thank you, I'll check it out.
    Large BGE, DigiQ DX2
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167

Here's a link to a recent post of yesterday with some info-

Brisket....  Enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dpittard
    dpittard Posts: 126
    Make sure you either have a thermometer that reads your temp at the grid or, if you're using the dome thermometer, you keep that at 250-275°.  Dome temp is 25°-ish degrees higher than grid temp.

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I've never done a flat alone. You might be wise to look at "the Travis" method or FLA Poolman's cheat brisket.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002

I've never done a flat alone. You might be wise to look at "the Travis" method or FLA Poolman's cheat brisket.

Pool boy thank you very much.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Little Steven
    Different guy man! He is old and decrepid and you aren't. Didn't say your method was a cheat either. Would you do a flat alone in the traditional way?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Different guy man! He is old and decrepid and you aren't. Didn't say your method was a cheat either. Would you do a flat alone in the traditional way?
    How could something approaching 500k views be considered any kind of cheat?  It is gospel.

An no, I wouldn't ever cook a flat. @tjv does them all the time and says he prefers them. I would do one if I had to but packers fall off the back of trucks down here. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • travisstrick
    I've got the same problem CEN tex does. I can get choice packers 365 days a year for $1.99 per lb so I've never done a flat.
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Up here in Chicago, it can be thought to find a full packer so I cook mostly flats. Travis method is the way to go. Always works out great for me.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Little Steven
    I'm in the Toronto area and there are very few places that carry whole's. I always pre order

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• 0oHUNTo0
    Thanks for the comments. Travis - I'm going with your method tomorrow.

Quick question - do you apply your rub and mustard combo the night before and let sit in the fridge?
    Large BGE, DigiQ DX2
  • 0oHUNTo0 said:

Quick question - do you apply your rub and mustard combo the night before and let sit in the fridge?
    you are a wise man indeed. it will be awesome

• travisstrick
    No need to apply in advance. I do it just before I put it on the fire.
  • 0oHUNTo0
    Roughly how long do you think it'll take?

Large BGE, DigiQ DX2
  • Little Steven
    0oHUNTo0 said:

you are a wise man indeed. it will be awesome

I tell him to use Travis's cheat method and he's a wise man for doing it. I'm feelin' just a little unappreciated here pal.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• oh, I got quarantined again so this will probably show up again later............

Please accept my apologies sir.

@0ohunto0, you should effusively praise Steven and his paper thin skin (it is the end of winter in Canada so it's not his fault) for recommending the "Method of The God's" for your flat. 

It will be great and forgive us for poking fun at each other on your thread. let us know if you have any questions. We are always glad to help

• Little Steven
    Winter never ends here

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• travisstrick

Winter never ends here

Please don't cut yourself.
  • lousubcap
    edited April 2013
    @travisstrick-Interesting in that I mention your "how I do it" brisket method in the "Brisket" post link copied above from yesterday's query.  Clearly that approach has a life and following of its own and is much bigger than this forum... I don't have the luxury of packers falling off the meat wagon at every corner so we work with what we can get and its flats . But that's part of the fun- :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    I wish I could find a cheap packer that dropped off a truck here in the Atlanta area...have to go to a butcher shop and pay $4-$5 a lb for a packer.  Gets kinda pricy for 12-14 lbs.  Can get a good sized marbled flat a nearby shop that is 7-9 lbs, but that is still a $40-$50 cook. 
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • 0oHUNTo0
    I'm about 3 hours in and I'm already at 190 internal. My dome temp is at 300 and my grate temp is around 285. I feel like this is going too quick and the meat will be tough.
    Large BGE, DigiQ DX2
  • 0oHUNTo0 said:
    I'm about 3 hours in and I'm already at 190 internal. My dome temp is at 300 and my grate temp is around 285. I feel like this is going too quick and the meat will be tough.

that is fast but the meat will not be tough. You can crank it way down if you need to for time's sake but it won't affect the quality of the cook to do it fast. if it's done too early you can FTC (wrap in foil, wrap that in towels and stick in a cooler) for up to 6 hours (4 recommended). you are in great shape and it's going to be awesome.
  • 0oHUNTo0
    0oHUNTo0 said:

that is fast but the meat will not be tough. You can crank it way down if you need to for time's sake but it won't affect the quality of the cook to do it fast. if it's done too early you can FTC (wrap in foil, wrap that in towels and stick in a cooler) for up to 6 hours (4 recommended). you are in great shape and it's going to be awesome.
    Thank you. I'll keep y'all updated. I appreciate the help. This community is awesome.
    Large BGE, DigiQ DX2
  • lousubcap
    @0oHUNTo0-make sure you are checking the temp in the thickest part of your flat-that temp rise is way too quick for 6.5 #'s even at 300*F.  Also make sure your thermo is calibrated-believe your indications when you know your indications are accurate...Good luck.
  • 0oHUNTo0
    Everything really turned out well. Travis' method is very easy. I ended up FTC for a little over 3 hours. Once I sliced it up I made brisket tacos with a roasted jalapeno pepper sauce made from the remaining broth in my pan.

imageimage

While the brisket was resting I threw on some wings and roasted them indirect at 400 dome for 40 minutes. I used my multilevel grate for the wings. It seems to work the best. I flipped the wings 20 minutes in so they'd cook evenly. After the 40 minutes, I sauced them with 3 parts Texas Pete Wing Sauce and 1 part Williamson Brothers Chipotle BBQ Sauce and put them back on the grill for another 3 minutes or so. If you haven't tried the Williamson Brothers BBQ Chipotle Sauce you should. I personally think it's the best. You can find it at most grocery stores here in Georgia. The wings were a nice appetizer while we were waiting on the brisket. 

I mean, we had to have something to soak up some of the beer we were drinking! 

imageimage
    Large BGE, DigiQ DX2