Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Gauntlet has been thrown down...

Options
double
double Posts: 1,214
So a buddy I was trying to convince should buy an egg went and bought a pellet smoker thing... Now also has the audacity to challenge me to a cook off... What should I suggest as the cook seen as he threw down the challenge I'm choosing the cook...
Lynnwood WA

Comments

• Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Options
    Ribs....period.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Easy.  Your best dish.  If that ain't good enough an answer, how about chicken?  There isnot a contraption in this world that can cook chicken better than the Egg.
    Flint, Michigan
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Brisket!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Pizza, game over. Or go cook in a field without power..

I think chicken or pork would be a great way to showcase the egg. Don't tell him about a thermapen until after the challenge :D
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Steak AND pizza! Lets see a pellet pooper top that.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • double
    Options
    Solson005 said:

Pizza, game over. Or go cook in a field without power..

I think chicken or pork would be a great way to showcase the egg. Don't tell him about a thermapen until after the challenge :D

Ye he would bring a generator... I'm not afraid :-)
    Lynnwood WA
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Oh I know just poking fun. I use electricity with my looftlighter and digiQ so I can't say too much. 

I think something that tends to dry out on other grills would be a good cook in your favor but anything head to head would be fun. My buddy has a Hasty Bake and we will be doing a cook together sometime soon. I've had some pretty good meals off his grill but chicken is much better off of the egg. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    A pellet smoker builds a fair amount of heat without attitude, that is, pellets do not have the same flavour as lump. Pellets rely on smoke wood or flavour pellets. 
    I like the idea of a chicken cooked spatched. Pellet smoker is a good rig. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    Options
    Can he make his own pellets?

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Make the simplest thing - something spatchcocked..  When he realizes how delicious the simple things are, the thought of the difficult dishes will be his downfall...

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Change the challenge to cooking a 3 course meal ( app, entree, dessert). Have friends and family vote. Could be fun. Cook the things that typically dry out on other cookers- chicken, pork tenderloin, etc.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Do a stir fry with a wok.  I don't think he could even set that up on his Traeger.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

Do a stir fry with a wok.  I don't think he could even set that up on his Traeger.

+1. Now that is a great idea.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    prime rib. neighbor brought me a some off his pellet... doesn't compare
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    My neighbor did same, bought a Traeger. His cooks are good, have nice smoke taste but lack for charcoal. I don't think he gets as good bark on a pork roast, either. So I'd say 'put up your butts'!
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    He'll make plenty good bbq with a pellet smoker. If he bought a good one like a MAK there will be a lot he can do with it.  I had a cheaper one, I didn't care for it and got rid of it. 

If his intention is to own a smoker for bbq,  I think you'll look like a toolbag taunting him to make pizza and grill steaks.. (which some pellet cookers can technically do .. just not really well)

A pellet cooker burns cleaner (ie less smoke) as it burns hotter .. so one thing your friend won't be able to do is cook fast.  What you need to do is challenge him to brisket or pulled pork dinner at 9am .. or 3 hour ribs .. 
  • double
    Options
    Thanks all great ideas. I like the 3 course meal idea, I want to see an apple pie come out of it... He bought one of these. http://www.rectecgrills.com/
    Lynnwood WA
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Tell him to enjoy the sawdust as you blow him away with anything off the egg. I agree on steaks or pizza to show the range of the egg, as well as brisket or pork butt for head to head low and slow. Especially since you get to Ronco your's while he is mopping every hour or so.
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Options

challenge him to make his own bread too

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I just saw their cooking times chart. Chicken breast- 15 minutes per side! Hilarious. Go iron chef on his a$$ and do some timed meals. I would definitely stick with the grilled stuff. Those things can do decent Q but if they take 30 minutes to do a chicken breast, that is obviously the weak spot.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited April 2013
    Options

Eggs Benedict?

photo DSCF1218.jpg

photo DSCF1220.jpg

photo DSCF1229.jpg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I'd say stir fry or pizza.  I'd like to see him pull that one off.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • caliking
    Options
    I think you should just show him this thread so he can quietly return his grill.

• CanadianAnvil
    Options
    Some of the pellet poopers are not that bad.  i was thinking of one before we got what we have now. My sister and brother inlaw have a treager and was looking at a green mountain grill.
    I am verry happy with my XL, my wife loves the food but misses the speed of heat of our gasser or the ease of use for her
  • caliking
    Options
    Some of the pellet poopers are not that bad.  i was thinking of one before we got what we have now. My sister and brother inlaw have a treager and was looking at a green mountain grill.
    I am verry happy with my XL, my wife loves the food but misses the speed of heat of our gasser or the ease of use for her
    I know... its all in fun (mostly :) ). The zeal of the converted... in my case at least.

• nashbama
    nashbama Posts: 102
    Options
    double said:
    Thanks all great ideas. I like the 3 course meal idea, I want to see an apple pie come out of it... He bought one of these. http://www.rectecgrills.com/
    6 year warranty? Bummer, your buddy got hosed. I paid less than that for my large and I'll still be cooking on it when I'm 80.

The only difference between an electric smoker and the oven in your kitchen is the ability to heat up those sawdust pellets.

Nothing can compare to cooking with a live fire. When he sees what you can do on a BGE he'll have that thing on Cragslist before the day is over. Good luck!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    you could skip all these ideas and just beat the $@&# out of him...

sorry...pbr talking
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    edited April 2013
    Options

smash the bbq at night and blame it on punk kids.

Or do it in front of him and tell him that this is egg territory.

• jimfastcar
    Options
    Hilarious, thanks all With some experience, I expect to show him the way !