Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Home Curing Ham

Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
I have a 12.2 lb bone in ham shank that I need to cure. I am planning to go with Charcuteries basic dry cure and use 2 oz per 5 lbs. Few questions. First, it seems like a very little amount of cure for this huge hunk of pork. Should I try the salt box dredge instead? Second, I can't seem to find anything in the book to tell me a guideline for curing time. Anyone have any suggestions? Third, the piece of meat is so large I can't find bags or food safe containers to store it in fridge. I welcome any advice
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Please show pics.  I have only done the cured loin to make Canadian Bacon, and find that a long cure is better than a short cure.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Chubbs
    Will do, Doc. I have cured my own bacon several times. Have 16lbs going right now. First time doing something else. Will definitely take pics of process.
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    @Chubbs , I don't know about cure times but as far as bags go I just brined a 13.5lbs in a Ziplock 2gal freezer bag.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • Chubbs
    @Nola, @CT, @U_Tarded?? Any thoughts? Anyone else?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited March 2013
    Chubbs said:
    @Nola, @CT, @U_Tarded?? Any thoughts? Anyone else?

We've done the wet cure ham from thta book twice. By far the best ham I have ever had. Haven't done the dry yet so dont have experience there. Sure the times aren't in the book? Seems odd that it wouldn't be in there.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    This one works for me every time. 

1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    Sorry man no dry cured ham yet just bacon and panchetta done here but I'm gonna watch this because I want to get into some of the larger longer cuts
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited March 2013
    Sorry Chubbs, I've done pastrami, Montreal brisket, duck prosciutto, cured steelhead, cured salmon, bresaola, bacon and pancetta....but never a ham.  I read the dizzypig wet cure recipe and like how it sounds.
    http://curedmeats.blogspot.com  Great reference for cured meats. I started curing meats because of my health issues now I do it because home cured meats taste so much better.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Chubbs
    Alright, well I will be the guinea pig and document with photos!
  • egger ave said:
    http://curedmeats.blogspot.com  Great reference for cured meats. I started curing meats because of my health issues now I do it because home cured meats taste so much better.
    amen. We just had store bought bacon for the first time in months (we were out of home grown- poor planning). 4 pieces were left over. that never happens with 2 teenaged boys in the house. Blech. never again
  • Chubbs
    If I wet cure, does the container the ham is in need to be sealed, or can it be a large bowl uncovered?
  • nolaegghead
    It doesn't need to be covered..or cover loosely with some saran wrap or foil (keep foil out of brine!).   Wet cure is a lot more forgiving - more even cure in a shorter amount of time.
    It doesn't need to be covered..or cover loosely with some saran wrap or foil (keep foil out of brine!).   Wet cure is a lot more forgiving - more even cure in a shorter amount of time.

Last question and I am off. All I have large enough to hold the meat and cover it in water completely is a plastic storage bin. It has never been used. You think this is fine to use?
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    Chubbs said:

It doesn't need to be covered..or cover loosely with some saran wrap or foil (keep foil out of brine!).   Wet cure is a lot more forgiving - more even cure in a
    shorter amount of time.

Last question and I am off. All I have large enough to hold the meat and cover it in water completely is a plastic storage bin. It has never been used. You think this is fine to use?

Do it, give it a good scrubbing you'll be fine

• Chubbs
    Done, thank guys. I will post pics later on. Pretty egg cited about this
  • nolaegghead
    "egg cited" hyuk hyuk....you're hammin' it up ;)
    Yep, literally hammin it up. 8-}
  • We bought a brining bag for $2-3 and placed that in a cooler with ice for a week.
  • Chubbs

We bought a brining bag for $2-3 and placed that in a cooler with ice for a week.

Well that would have been too easy CT!! I thought about that after I loaded the thing in the plastic container. I hope I survive!
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    edited March 2013
    My next batch of Canadian Bacon is curing in an XL zip lock bag in the refrigerator now. I use a Tuperware container with a snap on lid for hams. I use about one gallon of cure for each batch.

Albert Einstein
  • nolaegghead

We bought a brining bag for $2-3 and placed that in a cooler with ice for a week.
    That's a good idea - the ideal corning/brining temp is 38.  My fridge is 32.5.  A cooler would be pretty easy to keep a little warmer temp, plus you don't have to clear out space and gross out your spouse.....winning

That's a good idea - the ideal corning/brining temp is 38.  My fridge is 32.5.  A cooler would be pretty easy to keep a little warmer temp, plus you don't have to clear out space and gross out your spouse.....winning

Fortunately mine goes in the beer fridge. Curing meats and booze inly. Wifey only drinks wine so as long as I don't have meat curing in her wine fridge I think I am good!!
  • nolaegghead
    Good deal, Chubbs.  I have the same deal...problem is there's almost no space anywhere....have my new trusty Pelican cooler that I think I'll start using for brining.