Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

weight gain from working out

started with barbels a week ago, gained 5 pounds since and i know my calorie count has been really low, is that normal to gain that much. does your body just gain water from lifting. just feels im going the wrong way
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Muscle weighs more than fat.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Not that much or fast. Might be water but not from lifting.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

Griffin is certainly correct, but 5 lbs of muscle weight in a week seems intense. Did you eat a meatloaf and pound 1 gallon of water before you weighed in?

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Muscles are considerably denser than adipose tissue so it weighs more. You may gain some weight from this or see a weight-loss slow down, but it will be much easier to keep the weight off with increased muscle mass. You could be retaining water due to the muscle repair but it will level out and you'll actually burn off more fat as your metabolism rises. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    it doesnt make alot of sense to me, just eating meat, not overly salty and no more than 1200 cals a day so i dont understand the 5 pounds at all. hope it just drops as fast one day. and noway did i gain 5 pounds of muscle
    fukahwee maine

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795

Your body weight can fluctuate +/- 3% depending on a variety of factors such as:

- Muscle swelling (with water/inflammation) from a really vigorous workout

- Hydration status

- How much food is in your gastrointestinal tract

I can gain 8 pounds in a couple of hours with a good workout followed by hydration and a big meal.

That's why you should weigh yourself every morning before you eat or drink anything to get the least fluctuation (there will still be some). 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    maybe thats what it is...Muscle swelling (with water/inflammation). i weigh in an log same time every day, every week or so i see the weight rise, circle the log in, but never had seen a full 5 pound rise
    fukahwee maine

• fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    @fishlessman, sometimes if you are not eating enough calories your body hates you and either doesn't loose any weight or gains slightly, though I agree with everyone else that 5 pounds in a week is a bit much.

With my kettlebell workouts that I have been doing lately I noticed that I gained two pounds in a week. Though my body felt thinner I weighed more.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Probably the steroid program you are on.
  • fishlessman
    @fishlessman, sometimes if you are not eating enough calories your body hates you and either doesn't loose any weight or gains slightly, though I agree with everyone else that 5 pounds in a week is a bit much.

With my kettlebell workouts that I have been doing lately I noticed that I gained two pounds in a week. Though my body felt thinner I weighed more.
    my body isnt hating me from the lack of calories, i think it hates me from the fish eggs and turkey burger ive been feeding it
    :)) maybe im in a starvation mode with the added workouts, maybe its time to step the intake up a little
    fukahwee maine

• meister5
    meister5 Posts: 20
    I have just lost 80 lbs. myself over the last year (start 265 now 180 ). About a month ago I started lifting weights and doing cardio exercises. Although my waist is still getting smaller and my six pack is starting to show I am now gaining weight. I have noticed that both my arms and chest are starting to develop. I was thinking that my weight gain had to be muscle mass so I was not too worried. Great post!
    Meadow Lake Sk. LBGE, Stoker, Adjustable rig.
  • Sounds like your intake is way too low unless you are a 5'5 female. Dont focus on a scale.
  • It's water. Very common when you start lifting. Your muscles need to water as part of the process to repair themselves. It will all balance out in a week or 2. Happens to me every time for a few weeks.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • fishlessman
    It's water. Very common when you start lifting. Your muscles need to water as part of the process to repair themselves. It will all balance out in a week or 2. Happens to me every time for a few weeks.
    should have waited a week til after the comp weigh in if thats the case
    :))was so close to my comp goal and now heading the wrong way. gotta be the muscles gaining the water
    fukahwee maine

• JayHawkEye
    JayHawkEye Posts: 196
    It's water weight. I saw a slight rise one day last month after I started lifting. For that reason I've kept it to simple weight workouts and heavy cardio until the comp is over. THEN it will be back to a "re-shaping" regimen. 
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • STANGOJE
    STANGOJE Posts: 44
    It is water weight.  I ride a bicycle about 100 miles a week and use weights twice a week to keep my core strong.  I am a dude and weigh myself daily to keep things in check..  On days that I push hard I will hold on to a few extra pounds, it is normal.  I am 41 years old, 6' tall and weigh 178 lbs.