Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Well this sucks...

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200

Just got back from the doctor. Found out I have diabetes. Wondered why I had dropped about 23 lbs in 3 months without hardly trying. Yeah, I've been eating abit better and cutting out the snacks, but not enough for that much weight loss. Guess its time for a change in lifestyle. Eating better, exercising and watching sugars and carbs. Bummer. Guess I'm gonna have to scrap tonight's solo dinner plan with Stacie out of town again. That ain't gonna fly. Guess I got some research and reading to do as well. If you have a bunch of these symptoms, I suggest getting checked out.

• Excessive thirst and appetite (yup, 80-100 oz a day and still thirsty)
  • Increased urination (sometimes as often as every hour) (Check. Sometimes 3 to 5 times a night)
  • Unusual weight loss or gain (yup, 23 lbs in 3 months)
  • Fatigue (I thought it was normal to be this tired. Crashing after meals. Actually fell asleep at work yesterday after lunch)
  • Nausea, perhaps vomiting (no)
  • Blurred vision (no)
  • In women, frequent vaginal infections
  • In men and women, yeast infections(no)
  • Dry mouth (yep)
  • Slow-healing sores or cuts (thought that was a sign of aging, but yep)
  • Itching skin, especially in the groin or vaginal area (no)

If anybody else out there has diabetes and has some knowldge to share, I'd be more than welcome to hear it. Other than that, life moves on and we deal with things as they come our way.

Damn...just had a thought...I might have to cut out my bourbon and cokes. :(

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Yep, that's a bummer.  Sorry to hear it.

No diabetes yet, Grif, but fatigue and dry mouth are also symptoms of Sleep Apnea.  That's what I have, and a CPAP machine at night does wonders.  Have it checked out also.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Sorry to hear Griff, I don't know anything about diabetes so I can only offer a get well.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    I am sorry to hear that griffin. I have heard that obesity problems lead to diabetes and gene pool. I have it in my family so I try to keep my weight in check.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Bullibe
    Bullibe Posts: 132
    I know you will do what has to be done and get this under control ! Gotta keep Eggin'
    Redneck Riviera, Gulf Shores, Alabama
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Just passed my 18th anniversary of being diagnosed with type 1.

I can still remember the day I was diagnosed (and all of the emotions too).
    This is not a death sentence and you can live a long and prosperous life by just changing a few things that normal peeps take for granted.

If you have any questions or just want to talk, just message me.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    My dad got diagnosed with diabetes a few years back.  A few simple changes to his diet and now every thing is all good.  The bourbon and cokes will be a tough think to cut.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

Griffin,

Look into your hospital's Diabetes Educational Classes for newly diagnosed.  We did a two day class as a student in Nursing School.  VERY HELPFUL.

With some modifications, you can keep on keepin' on.  Mismanagement leads to huge problems down the road.  Sadly, see it just about every day.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Sorry to hear, another wake up call to me though that I need to get rid of this weight. I agree with VI on the sleep apnea I have my machine and boy what a difference that makes.
    Lynnwood WA
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Actually, bourbon and other alcohol (and how they are consumed) is not as bad as one thinks. 
    There is going to be a learning curve here but, I'm sure you're up to it.

OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • Logger said:
    Actually, bourbon and other alcohol (and how they are consumed) is not as bad as one thinks. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • sucks to hear Griff. I know you'll do the right things and it will just be a blip on the radar once you get in the groove. Keep us posted as I'm sure the affects many of us in one way or another.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Oh my. Firstly, like VI said - sleep apnea has those symptoms along with the fatigue. One of the biggest risk factors for sleep apnea is a neck size over 17 inches. I would certainly get this checked as well. Ask your PCP about having a sleep study done - this is the only way to truly diagnose it.

It appears that you have been diagnosed with DM Type II(Adult onset diabetes, IRDM)

One of the biggest things we were taught to look for in nursing school as risk factors was the "3 P's" Polyuria, Ploydypsia, and Polyphagia(excessive urination, thirst, hunger) Basically, you have a bunch of sugar molecules floating around in your blood due to insulin resistance. Insulin acts as the "key" to unlock the "door: to you cells to allow glucose(sugar) in. This is why you can get peaks and valleys with blood sugar(hyper- and hypoglycemia) The nausea typically comes from low BS or a sudden drop in BS. The blurry vision comes from all those large sugar molecules floating through capillaries. This is why DM can lead to blindness, slow healing, neuropathy(numbness) in extremities, kidney dysfunction.... It is an insidious disease and is not "noticed" readily until the signs are too late- You go blind, get body parts cut off from gangrene or osteomyelitis, and end up on dialysis due to renal failure.

It is extremely important to maintain a steady, normal BS through diet and exercise. Avoid high Glycemic foods(foods that cause sudden increases in BS) like simple carbs such as white potatoes, flour, sugar, high fructose corn syrup.... alcohol... 

It also greatly increases your risk of a Myocardial Infarction(heart attack). The three strikes are smoking, diabetes, and obesity. My uncle dropped dead at 54 due to morbid obesity and 1.5 PPD smoking habit. 

The biggest prevention measures are diet and exercise. I have only ever seen 1 patient actually "listen to the doctor's advice" and do this. He lost 50 lbs and "reversed" his diabetes. He was getting a knee replacement due to his excessive weight that led to arthritis. Your MD will check a Hemoglobin A1C every 3 months or so. You want this to be 7 or below - it lets the MD know how well you've been controlling your BS. I also recommend investing in a glucometer to check your BS. The doctor should recommend this too and may give you a prescription for it. This allows you to do daily checks to make sure you aren't cruising along with high BS all the time. 60-100 is your friend.

There are many meds that are used to treat DM, such as injected Insulin and oral hypoglycemic agents like sulfonyureas and metformin. To stay off this stuff - DIET AND EXERCISE!!!!!

Consider artificial sweeteners like splenda or stevia for baking and sweetening foods as well as the usual suspects like Equal and Sweet & Low.

At the least, get used to Diet Coke in those Jack and cokes...

• fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Griff,

My brother-in-law was diagnosed with diabetes. He was always an angry guy (he will even admit that). Interesting thing is once he got his diabetes squared away he is a different person. He has even said he is surprised his family stayed with him as long as they did. Now he is pretty chill and fun to be around.

A great documentary to watch is Forks over Knives. It advocates for a plant based lifestyle (vegan basically), which you may not want to do, but I found it very informative on the ability of diet to decrease the effects of diabetes.
  • Eggcelsior
    Focker said:

Griffin,

Look into your hospital's Diabetes Educational Classes for newly diagnosed.  We did a two day class as a student in Nursing School.  VERY HELPFUL.

With some modifications, you can keep on keepin' on.  Mismanagement leads to huge problems down the road.  Sadly, see it just about every day.

I can't agree more with @Focker.

Check out this NIH site as well.
  • Eggcelsior
    Logger said:

Mixing Alcohol and Diabetes can be quite dangerous. It is important to know your limits and to be smart about imbibing(make sure you are eating something)

Here is a page at the ADA that can be helpful.
  • I'm sorry to hear about this Griff. I just had a physical so I'm good, but I was concerned about my itching groin.
    Flint, Michigan
  • double
    It's useful having all these nurses around...
    Lynnwood WA
  • Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    you'll figure it our Griff, you're smart and care enough to make it happen. Moderation is the only way to go in life. It's natural for us to want more of the bad things. You'll figure out what is best for you and I agree with the advice of exercise!
    Don't feel bad for yourself! Go get yourself better!
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Good luck to you Griffin.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Eggcelsior
    double said:
    Except for sponge baths. Doesn't quite fit that "fantasy" when I do it.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    I was in the hospital for three days.  Then I took a turn for the nurse.

W.C. Fields

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• double
    double said:
    Except for sponge baths. Doesn't quite fit that "fantasy" when I do it.
    Mental image ugh I think I need to go puke...
    Lynnwood WA
  • Eggcelsior
    No worries. I always have this comeback when I get razzed

• LDR
    LDR Posts: 414

I'm there with you, and you must get a glucometer to check your blood sugar.  You can walk up to the counter and buy one with all the supplies, but there's a chance your insurance plan will cover it all - IF your MD writes a prescription for it. 

Read about the signs/symptoms/effects of hypoglycemia.  Getting your medication adjusted is important, and it can be a bit off at first, dropping your blood sugar too much.  So, learn how to spot if that's happening.  Getting lethargic and confused can have some bad results if you're speeding through Dallas - like I was, and just couldn't figure out traffic flow. 

Any kind of diabetes education program should be able to help you with that.  It's just a bit of a learning curve.  I'd say you're probably familiar enough with food that you won't have any problems adjusting your diet.

• Sorry to hear this news, but I am sure with the doctors help and support youll be just fine, take care and just have good thoughts, with all of those in mind you're going to be just fine. Take care.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Sorry to hear Griff - listen to the Doc, get it under control. BIL has had this for some time, the meter and strips are part of his life and he manages quite well. Good luck. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Sorry to hear this Grif. 

Thanks for posting this on the forums for others to see.  It helps educate others and also serves as an alarm to everyone to not neglect these things as well.  I for one, sincerely appreciate the reminder. 

Cheers!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448

Sorry to hear that Griffin. The bright side is that you caught it and can treat it. The only advice I can give you is to do what the doctor tells you to the T. I have seen first hand what diabetes does if you do not take it seriously.

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Sorry to hear - Hope you get this turned around.  My family (mothers side) has it bad.

I am a few years/months away from it as well I am sure.  High cholesterol, triglycerides, ~70 lbs over weight, sedentary,   Dr's have been telling me for years to loose weight - change my eating and I have rebelled against them and done nothing.

Now my eating habits have worn off on my 8 year old daughter who has high triglyceride/cholesterol.  We have her gong to a nutritionist and their answer is cut the carbs way down.

I am still rebelling against it all.  For some reason I will not change my ways - It's dumb when you think of it but it is what it is.  Giving up booze - that will be a challenge as its my only stress reliever,

Garnerville, NY