Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Great Brisket Controversy

2»

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    edited March 2013
    I used Hickory chunks as well and used Royal Oak Lump.

I want to make burnt ends this time as well.  Got any good tips?

Garnerville, NY
  • Burnt ends are for people in New York, Kansas City, people who don't know any better, and @maskedmarvel :))

I never do them. I love the point just the way it is. You can't find a burnt end in TX anywhere except MM's house. They are really good though but he's your guy for burnt ends.Highly recommend giving them a try. I just can't bring myself to do it.I'm sure he will chime in. I'll even listen and might try them one day if I know none of my friends are coming over.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    I used pecan in mine and works out great. Allegro Spicy is just a little over the edge for me, would use regular allegro next time.

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • and use oak. If you take one thing from this convo, no Hickory on Brisket. Oak. Lump does not matter that I can tell, but the wood matters a ton.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    phoenix007 said:  My father in law is from Kansas City and agreed to share his secrets after I married his daughter. And now I'm a student of BBQ.
    Best dowry ever!!   :-c  I've nothing to add (can't get prime brisket here, that I know of) but Welcome and good luck!  (and, you need to post pics!)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    I used pecan in mine and works out great. Allegro Spicy is just a little over the edge for me, would use regular allegro next time.

Felipe
    I actually just went and got my brisket (floppy, 9.5#) and opted for normal Allegro.  I like adding my own spicy-ness and my kids don't particular care for it.

Did you do it at 300?
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    edited March 2013
    Burnt ends are for people in New York, Kansas City, people who don't know any better, and @maskedmarvel :))

I never do them. I love the point just the way it is. You can't find a burnt end in TX anywhere except MM's house. They are really good though but he's your guy for burnt ends.Highly recommend giving them a try. I just can't bring myself to do it.I'm sure he will chime in. I'll even listen and might try them one day if I know none of my friends are coming over.

I don't know any better :) I never did burnt ends until joining this forum, heh..  I started because I really don't go for any fat in my meat - personal preference.  The overcooking of the burnt ends (point) renders most of that out while intensifying the dense flavour of the brisket.

Still working on my method, there.  So far - burnt ends are mainly for snacking or adding into chop for sandwiches...  
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    CT - good advice. 

Brisket is so hard to do, it's hit or miss unless you achieve that jedi status, and that's when you learn something that you can't even express to other people, it's something more intuitive than analytical.  And, unbeknownst to you (if that's a word), you, like Franklin, can't, even (although you want to) accurately describe the kung fu you use to cook up said magic brisket.   The coke zero is kicking in here.  ;)

That said, I love a challenge.  I'm going to dig into brisket.  Thanks for the inspiration, dude!

Sounds like it's time for brisket/drinking camp in NO this summer.....................pick a weekend, we'll come to you. Janell has never been.

Its only an 8 hour drive from Hotlanta...

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Ok. I will look for oak chunks. Thanks

Garnerville, NY
  • @JR- my last post got censored by the egg police but I was saying it's  8hr drive for me too. I sent NOLA an email to see if he's up for it. If he is, I think it would be a blast to hang in NO for a weekend and cook up some briskets. I'm sure there are several people in between that would love to join in.

• Burnt ends are for people in New York, Kansas City, people who don't know any better, and @maskedmarvel :))

I don't know any better :) I never did burnt ends until joining this forum, heh..  I started because I really don't go for any fat in my meat - personal preference.  The overcooking of the burnt ends (point) renders most of that out while intensifying the dense flavour of the brisket.

Still working on my method, there.  So far - burnt ends are mainly for snacking or adding into chop for sandwiches...  
    They are good. I had them when I lived in KC. People look at you funny in Austin when you order them but mixed in a chopped sammy, they are heavenly.

500 Posts: 3,177
    and use oak. If you take one thing from this convo, no Hickory on Brisket. Oak. Lump does not matter that I can tell, but the wood matters a ton.

If you are using lump, aren't you using oak for smoke?  Never seen oak chunks.  I've got a bunch of oak trees in my back yard.

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
    My first brisket attempt was a fail.  Shoe leather tough.  And it was a flat.  Having trouble finding packers here in Suburbatory.

When I attempt it again, it will be a packer.  When I watched Aaron Franklin's "BBQ with Franklin" videos, he butcher papered instead of foiling,er he got the bark he wanted.  Wondering what the difference is between the two.

And Welcome 007!
    Member since 2009
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    CT - good advice. 

Brisket is so hard to do, it's hit or miss unless you achieve that jedi status, and that's when you learn something that you can't even express to other people, it's something more intuitive than analytical.  And, unbeknownst to you (if that's a word), you, like Franklin, can't, even (although you want to) accurately describe the kung fu you use to cook up said magic brisket.   The coke zero is kicking in here.  ;)

That said, I love a challenge.  I'm going to dig into brisket.  Thanks for the inspiration, dude!

Sounds like it's time for brisket/drinking camp in NO this summer.....................pick a weekend, we'll come to you. Janell has never been.

Hell yeah it's time!   French Quarter fest is a lot of fun - it's running 4 days now:  http://www.fqfi.org/frenchquarterfest/  (April 11-14)

Last weekend of April, First of may is Jazz Fest.  7 days total, we go every day.  I'll check my email...
    John, replied to your email.  Yeah, we need to talk, New Orleans is fun fun fun and you and Janell will have a blast.

If you are using lump, aren't you using oak for smoke?  Never seen oak chunks.  I've got a bunch of oak trees in my back yard.

No. The lump does not have any of the characteristics of wood. Different flavor woods will dramatically change the flavor of your cook. Different flavor lumps will not. Oak chunks are everywhere. Should be able to find them. They are money on brisket.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    500 said:

My first brisket attempt was a fail.  Shoe leather tough.  And it was a flat.  Having trouble finding packers here in Suburbatory.

When I attempt it again, it will be a packer.  When I watched Aaron Franklin's "BBQ with Franklin" videos, he butcher papered instead of foiling,er he got the bark he wanted.  Wondering what the difference is between the two.

And Welcome 007!

My first was shoe leather as well, that was prior to finding the forum.

Johns Creek, Georgia
    500 said:
    and use oak. If you take one thing from this convo, no Hickory on Brisket. Oak. Lump does not matter that I can tell, but the wood matters a ton.

No. The lump does not have any of the characteristics of wood. Different flavor woods will dramatically change the flavor of your cook. Different flavor lumps will not. Oak chunks are everywhere. Should be able to find them. They are money on brisket.

I've got felled oaks out back.  I guess I'll have to try some oak for smoke.
    Member since 2009
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    500 said:

Money on brisket? I'd say they are pennies to the Benjamin's that you seem to add to brisket on this forum.
  • @500- I get censored almost every time I quote so I'll just do it this way.

1) on your question about lump/oak. Not all lump is oak. As a matter of fact most is not. It can be any mix of hardwoods.  I like Ozark Oak because of the way it burns, not really because of the flavor.I'm pretty sure it's not all oak (or maybe any?). It just says "100% natural Hardwood charcoal" on the bag. If you did a brisket with lump only, you would have a very plain brisket. Add a few chunks (oak if you can) and you'll see a big difference. This goes for any cook. I use apple for Pork, Cherry for poultry, oak for beef and play around with a bunch of others. 

2) paper v. foil. I don't wrap on the egg because I don't need to. Franklin cooks at 320 or so in a very large pit and he wraps when the bark starts to get too dark. He does not want to scorch the crust. He also wraps them to hold for service which is what I do (and highly recommend you do too for at least an hour- more if you can).  The only reason to wrap on the egg is if you are cooking hot and fast like Aaron and don't want to scorch the crust, or if you want to crutch it through the stall. You would wrap it much earlier if you are using it to crutch and you would wrap much later (after the stall) if you are using it to protect the crust during a fast cook. When you wrap a brisket or butt to crutch, it essentially does not allow the internal juices to evaporate. Evaporation causes the stall and that can last hours while the evap takes place. By wrapping, you eliminate the evaporative cooling and that makes it cook much faster. I don't really like the texture of most meat that has been cooked that way but it's the way people do it in BBQ cook-offs for the sake of time. 

Franklin wraps after the stall to keep the bark from burning and to hold for service. Paper breathes a little more than foil and MAY help with the bark texture over foil (I don't notice a difference) but it's also very messy.I have found that foil works as well for my purposes which is holding the meat for a few hours after the cook. I have the paper too and it leaks everywhere and gets all nasty. I don't have to scrub a cooler after a foil hold but a paper hold makes your cooler smell like brisket for a month. All fine and dandy until you need some cocktail ice out of it down the road. Mmmmmm Tito's n' brisket.

Probably more than you wanted to know but I really think the paper is just the old school way to do it around here. There are a few 70-80 year old famous places down here, Some wrap, some don't. But even if they don't wrap, everything they do is served on or in that same paper. I would love to have the brown butcher paper contract for this area!

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    what's a burnt end?
    count mete in on new o
    Beaumonty... I'm not gonna comment on the 9.5 floppy...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    henapple said:
    what's a burnt end? count mete in on new o Beaumonty... I'm not gonna comment on the 9.5 floppy...
    I...don't....even...

uh, yeah.  sorry about that!