Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XXL Egg

Talked to my dealer today. He is getting 2 XXL eggs when the mothership releases them into distribution. He said they are a limited edition and will sell for $4000 each!

For the price of the xxl I can get 2 XL's and a large!
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Don't see them selling many at $4000.00, but ya never know.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I still want to go see it when it comes in.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    When I called the Tucker store they said they had no clue on price or even exactly when they would be available.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

I have a different theory (at least). The original Komodo/Tandoor has a narrow diameter at its fattest, making air flow upwards rather swiftly if open all the way. In the XL, which is much wider, I think the airflow may be different and I can imagine swirling or eddying currents to the outer areas. This is all my theory and have no raw data to back it up with. Maybe some one like NOLA can delve into it.

Anyway, I think the small and large (ones I have and know) are built more like a tandoor/Komodo. Looking at the xxl, nope!

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• cortguitarman
    My dealer said he has no idea when it will be in, but he ordered 2 and told me the price.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    So these xxl's are limited edition or the xxl will be limited made?

XLBGE 
  • wow. I guess they want to at least be half of the new Stainless Steel clad Pro Joe at a whopping $8000. That thing looks awesome, but for $8000...............well, I'll just leave it at that.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    wow. I guess they want to at least be half of the new Stainless Steel clad Pro Joe at a whopping $8000. That thing looks awesome, but for $8000...............well, I'll just leave it at that.

I googled the Pro Joe and found this article: http://www.bornrich.com/entry/kamado-joe-s-new-pro-joe-grill-is-the-most-advanced-ceramic-grill/

I had to laugh when it talks about the reduced fuel costs since it cools down quickly... spend $8K on a cooker, then worry about the cost of charcoal burnt while it cools??

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking said:
    wow. I guess they want to at least be half of the new Stainless Steel clad Pro Joe at a whopping $8000. That thing looks awesome, but for $8000...............well, I'll just leave it at that.

I googled the Pro Joe and found this article: http://www.bornrich.com/entry/kamado-joe-s-new-pro-joe-grill-is-the-most-advanced-ceramic-grill/

I had to laugh when it talks about the reduced fuel costs since it cools down quickly... spend $8K on a cooker, then worry about the cost of charcoal burnt while it cools??
    in 700 years it will virtually pay for itself!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cortguitarman

So these xxl's are limited edition or the xxl will be limited made?

Not sure. I assumed a limited number would be made. My guess would be that this is a market test. Perhaps they are trying to cater to restaurants. I honestly don't know.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    caliking said:

in 700 years it will virtually pay for itself!

60% of the time, it pays for itself every time in 700 years!

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Love the XXL... But gonna have to pass for an XL before I get that crqzy
  • nashbama
    nashbama Posts: 102
    If the XXL is $4,000, how much do they want for an XXL nest & plate setter?

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    nashbama said:

If the XXL is $4,000, how much do they want for an XXL
    nest & plate setter?

I think you just put a large inside and use that for heat deflection ;-)
    Lynnwood WA
  • BigGreenDon
    BigGreenDon Posts: 167

Talked to my dealer today. He is getting 2 XXL eggs when the mothership releases them into distribution. He said they are a limited edition and will sell for $4000 each! For the price of the xxl I can get 2 XL's and a large!
    I'm kind of doubting your dealer on two counts:

1) As you said, 2 XL's come well under that price.  The grid space on two XLs amounts to 900 sq in, where a single XXL is only 652.  I think that BGE knows their market, knows that we are not stupid, and knows they need to set a price point that puts this equipment in line with the other 5 units.

2) No way this egg is a limited addition!  The development time and tooling to produce that huge ceramic product just won't amortize over a small run of units (even at $4K a pop).  Some effort had to be put into engineering and testing this device to get the airflow tuned correctly, etc...  They have a pile of money invested in this thing, and they will need time to get a return.

Now maybe, just maybe -- BGE is expecting a run on these at first and will introduce them at a high point just to damp the demand until they can ramp up.  In the end, the price will need to "make sense", however.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

Talked to my dealer today. He is getting 2 XXL eggs when the mothership releases them into distribution. He said they are a limited edition and will sell for $4000 each! For the price of the xxl I can get 2 XL's and a large!

1) As you said, 2 XL's come well under that price.  The grid space on two XLs amounts to 900 sq in, where a single XXL is only 652.  I think that BGE knows their market, knows that we are not stupid, and knows they need to set a price point that puts this equipment in line with the other 5 units.

2) No way this egg is a limited addition!  The development time and tooling to produce that huge ceramic product just won't amortize over a small run of units (even at $4K a pop).  Some effort had to be put into engineering and testing this device to get the airflow tuned correctly, etc...  They have a pile of money invested in this thing, and they will need time to get a return.

Now maybe, just maybe -- BGE is expecting a run on these at first and will introduce them at a high point just to damp the demand until they can ramp up.  In the end, the price will need to "make sense", however.
    I just left my dealer and he reported the same thing. Called it "special edition" and said the preliminary pricing he saw was $3,999
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Makes me wonder if they are not going to be more for a show piece than anything else for store fronts. I am not saying they will not end up in public buyers hands. I just find it stupid for anyone to purchase one for 4K. I dont care if you have money to wipe your *** with. That is a stupid investment.

• DougQ
    DougQ Posts: 30
    I just saw one at a dealer. It really is huge - kind of funny to see the XL relegated to the back with the large and the medium. Thing looks like the plant from "Little Shop of Horrors."
  • cortguitarman

Talked to my dealer today. He is getting 2 XXL eggs when the mothership releases them into distribution. He said they are a limited edition and will sell for $4000 each!

For the price of the xxl I can get 2 XL's and a large!

I'm just reporting what he told me. He's not one to mince words. A very straight shooter. People will buy it. Not this guy, but someone will.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • just quoting from this link... http://www.outdoorhome.com/index.php?route=news/article&news_id=217

"The XXL will be made available as a Limited Edition in 2013 at selected dealers around the world. Big Green Egg XXL will be available in full distribution in 2014."

so maybe yes 4k is the price for the "limited" XXLs of 2013, and in 2014 the price point drops. 
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited March 2013

The guy that steps out and owns 2 XXL's will move to the front of the Egg Class even if he can't cook a lick....by scoring a "perfect 10" in equipment alone moves him to the top.  Gotta be temping to a few out there.   For all the Eggers willing to place a bet....how long until we have our first Double/Double among us?   I say we see (or hear about) someone owning 2 XXL's by July 4th?  LOL 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795

The guy that steps out and owns 2 XXL's will move to the front of the Egg Class even if he can't cook a lick....by scoring a "perfect 10" in equipment alone moves him to the top.  Gotta be temping to a few out there.   For all the Eggers willing to place a bet....how long until we have our first Double/Double among us?   I say we see (or hear about) someone owning 2 XXL's by July 4th?  LOL 

I'll take the "over" on that.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX