Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New egghead from South Florida -- Need help with steaks

Hi all, just got my egg a week ago and I've used it three times so far. I used to have a WSM and enjoyed it. But, though it was time to ditch the 3 grills i had and move up to the holy grail (and save patio space). Did some turkey burgers and a whole chicken last week with great success. 

I tried some 1.5" New York Strips last night and came out with perfect tenderness and color (130 degrees medium rare). I used the method on the BGE website with searing around 700 degrees for 2 minutes each side then shutting the door and putting the ceramic lid on to kill the fire. I used the BGE lump charcoal also. Problem is that the steaks came out way too smokey for my tasting. I saw on other threads here that it could be the charcoal. Also, saw that cooking the steak slow at 300 up to 120 degrees, wrapping in foil, and then searing helps.

Just wondering who else had this problem and how they fixed it. 

Thanks!

imageimage

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    trex, reverse sear, hottub methods. try all three and eventually you will settle in on a method of your likeing.  most everyone hates the sear dwell method you did
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • closing the vent and capping the top with food inside usually has a negative smokey flavour. that could be what you are describing  
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    closing the vent and capping the top with food inside usually has a negative smokey flavour. that could be what you are describing  
    +1

Suddenly shutting down an efficiently burning fire(a hot fire) will cause a lot of incomplete combustion and bitter, creosote-filled smoke. Trex method and reverse sear are opposites of each other that have the same effect. Roasting the meat to 5 -10 degrees of your finishing point and high heat searing for crust development. Trex does the sear first, RS' namesake method does it last. I have not hot-tubbed, as I love reverse searing. Like our unfortunate fisherman said, try them all and settle in on what you like best.
  • UFbbq
    UFbbq Posts: 5
    Thanks guys. Looking forward to round two.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167

Here's a link describing the Trex method and the Xert (reverse sear).  The site also contains a wealth of ceramic cooking info-a great reference.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes2.htm#beef Welcome and enjoy-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RocEGG
    RocEGG Posts: 89
    I'll second the reverse sear method, works great! And I will also agree that shutting down the vents with food in the egg is something that you should never do. It results in some really gross flavors.
    Rochester, NY  - XL BGE
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Hot tub them. Cen-Tex will esplain inna minute B-)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Yes sir. I'll be good. I promise. Hot tub= putting your steaks in a ziplock or foodsaver bag with the air sucked out. put it in hot water (my tap water is 135-ish) and weight it down so it's totally covered for an hour or so then grill it very hot until you get good grill marks. Great way to cook any type of protein.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Gosh, ths guy is right on. You get good caramelisation on the meat and a consistent doneness through the whole cross-section.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• UFbbq
    Was researching the hot tub method after it being mentioned earlier. Seems quite genius.
  • UFbbq said:
    Was researching the hot tub method after it being mentioned earlier. Seems quite genius.

this is the free version to get you hooked on the $800 toy that someone will suggest to you soon (probably me). It's a great way to cook.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • UFbbq
    UFbbq said:

this is the free version to get you hooked on the $800 toy that someone will suggest to you soon (probably me). It's a great way to cook.
    Whatever this toy is, not interested. Just spent around 1,000 on my BGE which IS my new toy.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    just make sure to try all three methods a couple times. for me, a nice thick steak gets trex, salted then sear, then pepper or rub for the rest period so that the pepper doesnt get burned, then roasted to about 123-127 degrees, then a rest on a rack (resting on a cold plate pulls the juices out). if its a thinner steak it gets the hot tub method, i dont trex a steak less than 1.25 inches thick
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • UFbbq
    Makes sense and thanks for the tips. Thinking of doing a pork loin tonight with the plate setter. I've been spoiling my roomate and my girlfriend since getting the egg  :D
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I tried reverse sear last week and was sold on it for steaks from now on. Just gotta make sure you know where you are going to set that hot plate setter down quick. Even with welding gloves and hot pads it gets HOT quick!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • UFbbq
    This forum has already made me want to build a table. There are some unbelievable tables on here.