Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tipped over the Egg last night

After an awesome meal last nght with Friends (Filet) sorry no pictures of the steaks - i was moving my egg back around to my garage when it tipped over.  I thought it would never happen as i'm very careful (usually) to pull the egg and take extra precautions at the breaks in the sidewal.  I'm not sure if the headache this moring is related to the broken egg or the vino we had with our meal.  Funny, of the other two couples, one of them has an egg and the other was saying at dinner they aer going to buy one - (both related to their great experience eating at my house).  I know this isn't covered under warranty, but has anyone seen exceptions?
Minneapolis / St. Paul. Large & Mini

Comments

• flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Oh nooooooo.....how horrible.  You need to check out this thread and build an all-terrain nest for the replacement:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • I like the all-terrain concept - also like the remote control concept  (I have a remote control golf cart).   I do need a better solution as I don't have any other options than to pull my egg around to the front of my townhome - the association won't allow any charcoal on our decks. Big wheels and a larger base might be the answer.  Maybe I should just move - I saw a post this morning where someone was doing yard wark this weekend before making piaya - we are getting slammed with 6 inches of snow today and we'll be below the freezing mark until Saturday ........ things that mak you go hmmmm. 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321

I looked at the Nest Handler at the Sunshine Fest this weekend, and think I will get that for my XL.

Did yours come out of the nest, or did you dump the whole thing?

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Not good, not good at all. If it is just the base, you can buy just that part. Never liked the nest unless it stays put. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Tipped the whole thing over, the base was the only thing that broke.... unitl i broke the lid.  I saw a new type of nest during our one day of Summer 2012 at a BBQ fest downtown Minneapolis that looked to be a bit beefier (pardon the pun) than the standard nest.  Might also be an avenue - or esle build erector set like the link the flemster suggested above.  Still seeing if the mother ship has any sympathy!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674

I looked at the Nest Handler at the Sunshine Fest this weekend, and think I will get that for my XL.

Did yours come out of the nest, or did you dump the whole thing?

Have Handler on both Larges. Only thing holding me back from a Handler on my Mini is how to fit it around the Carten. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• crunk
    crunk Posts: 94
    i had the same thing happen to me a couple years ago. It happened only 2 days after I bought the egg. Luckily i took it back to the dealer and they had forgot to put one of the braces on the nest when they assembled it for me so they gave me a brand new large. I went ahead and paid them another $100 or so and let them build me a table. There is no way i would ever use a nest if i had to move it in and out of a garage again. Sorry to hear about your fatality!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    The all terrain mod is definitely an improvement. It eats cracks in the sidewalk for breakfast. The wheels are heavy and make the whole contraption quite stable. It would be hard to tip over unless you go over a ledge or actually heave it over yourself. And that would be a crazy thing to do.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you are back up and egging shortly.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    NOOO!! I am sorry that happened. I don't even really like rolling my small around and only move my large once a year to the other corner of my pergola while I re-seal / stain it. I would look into something like what @caliking has on either one of his eggs, if it had to be moved.  Here is a link that has a good picture of his homemade cart for the large egg. New Small Egg in da hizzouse! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • I'm sorry for your loss.
    Flint, Michigan
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Man I feel for ya that sucks!!! As bad as this is if you ever wanted to upgrade now's the time.They just released the XXL egg!!
    :D
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Sorry for this mishap -- and the instruction manual say's NOTHING about "not moving it after drinking vino".  But many things enter into the formula of "properly" being able to move an egg.  The cost is one, safety is another!  Thankfully, i don't have to move my nested egg, even though i have smooth concrete to run on.  Considering the cost of the egg, i wouldn't flinch at spending $300 for the proper setup.  Best i have seen here, is the pneumatic 8 inch wheeels, two fixed and two turnable with locks.  I know the wheels alone are over $100 bucks..  Solid wheels are not safe, since a pea size rock can jamb them, and cause the "TOP HEAVY" load to flip over.  And most garages have a two inch rain retainer built into the slab!!!  A good customer service oriented dealership would work with you on this issue - let us know how they handle it ???
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    The pneumatic wheels are much cheaper at Harbor Freight... I think $13-$15 per wheel. If you keep an eye out or get on their mailing list, they frequently have coupons for 20%off an item. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    That sucks Fudd. Sorry to hear.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Welcome to the busted ceramic cooker club......not the best club to be a member of, if ya know what I mean........Yes, I'm a member too. 

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I ordered my table about an hour ago, I get nervous every time I drag my egg around in the nest
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Handlers are great. They tie the whole unit together and they are surprisingly more stable.
  • Handlers are great. They tie the whole unit together and they are surprisingly more stable.

I agree, cheap insurance for $100.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

•  

I ordered my table about an hour ago, I get nervous every time I drag my egg around in the nest

The nest is not exactly the most stable thing I have seen. That is mainly why I went and just built the table for mine.

• egzilla
    egzilla Posts: 51
    I have a Egg Trolley for my XL BGE. It is much more sturdy and stable when moving my Egg. ( I only have to move mine about 10ft each way)
  • So sorry for your loss, what a bad night. I would be so pissed. Hopefully you can just get the base and not need anything else. 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited March 2013
    I'm guessing my patio would be suicide for a egg and nest. Scary....
    A new one is coming but other projects first... my kids have survived it so far.
    Starting to get some sun here in Seattle.
    Seattle, WA
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    All the king's horses . . .

Yeah, the nest is best when moved the lest!

• Thanks to everyone for your kind words and new ideas. I have little patience so I expect to order the replacement lower shell tomorrow. I have confirmed the vino may have been my culprit as I double checked a flight I also booked last night for a practice round at the Masters ...... Found out there is a difference Between PM and AM..... Had to fix that one also today !! I'll keep you informed on how I proceed but there will be zero hesitation in getting the large up and running - im actually not mad but annoyed wuth myself. In the meantime ill have to maximize the mini..... More to come! Elmer Fudd
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Glad you are looking at it in the right frame of mind -- important thing is getting back to egging!!  Hope your dealer walks you through this, and gets you back to cooking with the least amount of damage to your pocketbook!! 
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune.  I also have the handler and it certainly makes it easy to move the egg.  One question why do you move it inside, mine has been outside through a couple of winters and seems no worse for wear.  

Gerhard
  • mine has been outside for 8 years with no cover. 4 WI winters and 4 texas summers. no problems at all.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Condolences

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    edited March 2013
    Sorry for your loss.  Perhaps Grill Barrow is your answer but its costs almost as much as the egg, ouch!
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1149071/the-grill-barrow/p1

canuckland