Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how popular/well known are BGE in your area?

Options
Seeing the XXL egg got me thinking, which often is not a good thing, are eggs popular in your area? Or well known? here in the Pacific NW no one hardly knows they exist.

Comments

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I'm eastern Ontario and they aren't that well known from what I've seen
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    not at all here, i have to explain it to anyone that sees mine.  there is a dealer here but i am sure they don't sell a lot.  they still have a chimenea on their floor and i bought a mini that was super old version new stock.  there is dealers in las vegas about 90 miles north but only like 1-2 there definitely more of a gasser land here.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    there has to be alot more than i know aboutt here in newengland, supermarkets carry lump here all year now but i only know of a few eggs
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    The local paper's nationally renowned restaurant critic owns one and mentions it occasionally. The president of a university health center in town owns one, and we've talked brisket. I met someone in my neighborhood who owns one. And the largest kitchen store downtown displays it prominently during the "season." The shop put it together for me and did a really stellar job, meaning someone knew what he was doing. 

Only one friend had heard of it before I got it, though, and I have to drive 60 miles to Fred's to get good charcoal and rubs. It's not unknown in Philly, but I wouldn't say it's commonly known.    
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    Options
    Down south here more have at least heard of the BGE, but few understand what it really does or how it works. The conversation is usually comparing it to a gasser
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Crispix49 said:

Down south here more have at least heard of the BGE, but few understand what it really does or how it works. The conversation is usually comparing it to a gasser

I'm in SC and I'd probably agree. Most people by 30ish years old have heard of. Few actually know anything about or why cost so much.
    Boom
  • fishlessman
    Options
    whats funny is that when you talk to someone here with an egg, alls they cook in it are hotdogs and hamburgers if that tells you something
    fukahwee maine

• EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Options
    We have I believe 4 distributors in my immediate area yet I don't see them around much in neighborhoods.  Most people don't know what it is when I talk about it.
    Large BGE

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    whats funny is that when you talk to someone here with an egg, alls they cook in it are hotdogs and hamburgers if that tells you something
    Isn't the egg itself called a "barbecue" up in your neck of the woods, as opposed to cooking BBQ-the food, on it?

I know of three people with an egg. Me, my Dad, and a dude whose wife is on the Ski Patrol with me. I was over at their house one time and saw it, so I got all excited. His response is exactly what you wrote above. He had cooked on it 3 times in 8 months. I should have offered him 200 bucks for it(LBGE), I bet I could have made that deal. There are a few dealers within an hour of me, so there has got to be more nearby. I do have to explain it to almost everyone I talk to.
  • fishlessman
    Options
     a barbeque is an event where you call someone up and tell them to come to the barbeque....then serve up hamburgers and hotdogs
    Isn't the egg itself called a "barbecue" up in your neck of the woods, as opposed to cooking BBQ-the food, on it?

I know of three people with an egg. Me, my Dad, and a dude whose wife is on the Ski Patrol with me. I was over at their house one time and saw it, so I got all excited. His response is exactly what you wrote above. He had cooked on it 3 times in 8 months. I should have offered him 200 bucks for it(LBGE), I bet I could have made that deal. There are a few dealers within an hour of me, so there has got to be more nearby. I do have to explain it to almost everyone I talk to.

fukahwee maine

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    When I get my egg very soon it will be me and one other person for the entire province of Newfoundland and Labrador it seems. Nobody that I work with or know have even heard of BGE and they think i'm nuts being so interested in such a expensive green egg thingy!!! That will change when they taste the food hopefully!!!!
    :)>-
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited March 2013
    Options

The art of cooking/smoking meat in ceramic pots is a well known practice here in the SF Bay Area.  There have been importers who have been selling Kamado type cookers for the last 30 years it seems.  So we have quite a few younger clients who remember seeing "Big Green Egg" type cookers in their families over the years.  Big Green Egg is simply a newer version of a recognized cooker from their past. 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options

a barbeque is an event where you call someone up and tell them to come to the barbeque....then serve up hamburgers and hotdogs

Don't let Andy Staples read this! A cookout is hotdogs/hamburgers/steak. That's grilling. He rants about it all the time. Funny stuff
    Boom
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    I live in the Springfield, MO. area and we have a store in Springfield and another in Nixa, MO. I live about 3/4 of a mile from the Nixa store and have an egg on each side of me. They seem to be well known down this way as they know of what I speak when I mention the BGE.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Local pool store added them to their line a couple months ago in my city.  Their meager accessories and inflated prices doom them.  I need to keep my eyes open for the sell off.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    I personally know 5 eggheads in my town. But just about everyone I talk to about cooking knows and respects the egg.

I'd have to say here in northern Mississippi the egg has a pretty strong reputation.

XLBGE 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Other than one of the two dealers I know in the Greater Vancouver Area, don't know anyone in my neighbourhood who has a BGE. Lots of Primos and Visions around, but no eggs. My neighbour had a Kamado Joe. 
    There are a number of egg owners in the GVA, but most of those bought in the US and drove the egg across the border. Over and above the US retail (tax included) Canadian Border Services can charge 12%HST. As the Canadian retail is almost 45% more than the US retail, still a bargain. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Options
    I'm from the North and when I invite people over for food that is made on the Egg....Unless it's something I am cooking Lo and Slow I specifically do not call it a BBQ.  It's called grilling or I'm having a cook out....

That's a huge pet peeve of mine :)
    Large BGE

• J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    edited March 2013
    Options
    My neighbors looked at me like I had three heads when I pulled my egg off the back of my truck. When I told them that it was a smoker they looked even more confused. Needless to say it's not very popular in my neck of the woods. (Just outside of Philadelphia) But I'm not that far from Guru country and Hapster is in the neighborhood, so it's not unheard of. Most people just think it's a Philadelphia Eagles tailgating grill because it's green. I just laugh and say yea...That's what it is.
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • pwg56
    pwg56 Posts: 93
    Options
    I live in NJ and I've heard of one other person in the area who has one but I don't know them.  I'm in the land of gas grills and to spend a lot of money on a really heavy round green thing shaped like an egg (and then you have to BUILD a table for it), then you have to use charcoal (but not briquets), then you have to 'light it' and not just 'turn it on' is just too "out there".

Then if people eyes are not completely glazed over if I tell them there are forums where they post pictures of what they cook and there are get togethers around the country organized around cooking on these things that finishes them off.
  • smokinsooner
    Options

The egghead population in N. Texas is growing like crazy. I've been teaching BGE cooking classes at my distributor's location... 20 people each class... it's really pretty cool. The Plano Eggfest should be hopping this year.

BOOMER!
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I live 5 miles from the nearest dealer and I'm the only person I know that has one. My buddy wants one, but hasn't pulled the trigger because his wife uses their gasser and doesn't want to mess with the charcoal. There are 3 more dealers within an hour, nut I never see them around. Of course, I don't go creeping into peoples back yards regularly.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    We ate dinner at a friend's apartment about 10 years ago and he had a small BGE.  That was the first time I really noticed them. The salmon he cooked was noticeably better than average BBQ salmon.   Then years later we saw one on someone's front porch.  Can't believe it it never got stolen - probably because 1. they're heavy and 2. no one knows what they are
    Options
    I live in a small town of 3,000, and I know a lot of people here that have them. 

Even the ones that don't own them have heard of them. I haven't ran across anyone that hasn't heard of them here. 

I would say that BGE is doing pretty good here in Georgia.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • chris123stock
    Options
    You know I thought that the BGE was unknown in  the Northwest,  but more people than you think know about the egg, after we started selling them, everyone and their brother came in talking about the egg. Well at least up in bellingham, plus all the Canadians.  They love the egg. They come down buy two or three at a time. 
  • blueinatl
    blueinatl Posts: 94
    Options
    I'm lucky here in  ATL, most folks I run into know what they are.  There is a restaurant here that cooks on them in their kitchen (Muss & Turners) and another one owned by the same team that cooks some things on them as well (Local Three).  I have quite a few friends who have them and I finally got one for Christmas after begging :-)  HWOM did a great job!
    Peachtree Corners, GA. Large BGE
  • chris123stock
    Options
    Other than one of the two dealers I know in the Greater Vancouver Area, don't know anyone in my neighbourhood who has a BGE. Lots of Primos and Visions around, but no eggs. My neighbour had a Kamado Joe. 
    There are a number of egg owners in the GVA, but most of those bought in the US and drove the egg across the border. Over and above the US retail (tax included) Canadian Border Services can charge 12%HST. As the Canadian retail is almost 45% more than the US retail, still a bargain. 
    There are alot of BGE owners, of course some might be Whiterock and such, but alot of Canadians come down and buy eggs.
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    fletcherfam I am just a time zone away from you but on about the same latitude and I don't personally know another egg owner in Montana with the exception of my dealer.  

OT- any word on a PNW egg fest for 2013?
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    There are 4 in my neighborhood in Round Rock TX and many more in the area. Texans take their BBQ very seriously. I consider it to be a minor religion. Two of us are definitely members of the BGE cult according to our neighbors. They just don't understand that cooking on gassers is not the same. I suspect having decent year round BBQ weather has a lot to do with it.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein