Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do I need a torque wrench to adjust the bolts or can I do it with a regular wrench?

Going to be replacing the gasket on my Large when the weather cooperates now that I have a couple of backup eggs.  So really just asking the question in the subject.  I have no reason to own a torque wrench besides this that I can think of. But if there are other common uses for one I will purchase one.
I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I just have normal tools.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Normal never saw torque specs
    Seattle, WA
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Thanks fellas, I haven't watched an assembly video in a while but if I recall right they called for using a torque wrench, I will proceed as normal. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Just bend the bolts about 20* and you will be fine

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Scottborasjr
    @Little Steven so do I need to replace the bolts completely if I'm just readjusting for putting a nomex or rutland gasket on or can I just loosen and tighten back up.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I loosened and then retightened last time. Have to do it again soon.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Scottborasjr
    @Chubbs, were you replacing a gasket as well? What one did you go with?  I'm leaning towards the Rutland so I only have to do the bottom part of the Egg and seems to be a longer lasting product.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    @Chubbs, were you replacing a gasket as well? What one did you go with?  I'm leaning towards the Rutland so I only have to do the bottom part of the Egg and seems to be a longer lasting product.

Yeah, was replacing the gasket. Went with nomex. It burned off on first high temp cook. Got a replacement for free so going to put that on and give it another shot. Been gasket less for a while now but want to put one back on.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Scottborasjr
    @Chubbs Yeah, I'm not sure I really need it but can't hold a temp below 275* since I fried it and kind of like the added padding if someone who isn't used to tending the Egg happens to be using it while I'm doing something else with the kids.  With the Nomex does that require both top and bottom or just the bottom?
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2013
    Not to shoot across the bow of other more experienced eggers, but geez, does any one read instructions anymore? The BGE assembly instructions are pretty clear, 10 ft. lbs. If you do not have a torque wrench, BGE goes to great lengths to advise that 20# exerted on a 6" long 1/2" wrench is 10 ft. lbs or 125 in lbs. 
    The instructions should be included with your egg. I'm a touch of a gear head so I have a number of torque wrenches. At less than $20 for a really good home one, get one - lots of uses if you like to be sure. If not hang a 10# bag of spuds on the end of a 12" wrench extension - voila, 10 ft lbs. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Scottborasjr
    @Skiddymarker, that's what I thought about BGE recommending a torque wrench.  All three of my Eggs have been assembled by the dealer and have never dealt with loosening the bands.  I've checked that they are tight, but never loosened.  And I am far from a gear head so that's why I put this thread up. Thanks for your input.
    ^:)^
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited March 2013
    @Skiddymarker the hell with the specs. First time in seven years I have seen a PDF posted like that. Cool ^:)^
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Scottborasjr
    I just don't want my any of my Eggs to fall apart when I don't mean for them too. Not a very "handy" person I guess and just want to know exactly what I need to do.  The bent bolts really threw me for a loop the first time I looked at them.  Didn't know bent bolts was a good thing.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I did two butts the other night. Smoke was pretty much constant out of the right side of my egg... Guess its gasket time for me too. I've got the replacement here already.

XLBGE 
  • Scottborasjr
    I've got a BGE gasket ready to replace as well @MrCookingNurse but leaning towards getting a rutland gasket. Then I can use the BGE gasket to put on the top of my small and for minimal repairs. It is the old felt kind.
  • MrCookingNurse
    edited March 2013
    Mine is the new self adhesive kind. Gotta get something to clean my LBGE First and remove old gasket remnants.

I dunno about putting gasket on top of my small. But the daisy wheel sits up there so flimsy. I feel like the gasket would get really nasty up there

XLBGE 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    "NEVER TIGHTEN THE BANDS WHEN THE EGG IS IN USE"

How many people just said: "Oops" :-\"
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I have a few torque wrenches, and I used them when I assembled our egg the first time.  Last time I adjusted the bands I just used an impact wrench and relied on experience and intuition to tighten.  They didn't break and they're still tight when I do a pizza, so I guess I didn't F up.  :D
    @MrCookingNurse, I'm sure it will get nasty but if it will keep the daisy wheel from falling off when I open the egg it's worth it. Haven't even fired up the small yet gonna bust that cherry this weekend.
  • MrCookingNurse
    @eggcelsior

Prolly zero, quit padding your thread count with worthless information :-\"

XLBGE 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I believe you could rent a torque wrench from o'reillys or auto zone if you want. Depending on how tight your dealer got your band I would highly recommend getting two new 5/16 x 2" carriage bolts mine cost $0.50, so if yours are bent pretty good just replace them (cheap insurance in my book). One was bent so much that it cross-threaded when I tried to take it off so I just got a grinder and cut it off. I got the confidence to take apart my precious egg from Fred's Music and BBQ Part one, two, and three. Here is my post for replacing my small a couple weeks ago New handle and gasket change for the Small BGE that might be of some help. I did not use a torque wrench but I will get mine off the shelf and check since @Skiddymarker posted the proper specs. Both of my eggs came assembled (the small had the hinge installed upside-down but worked fine.) and had no idea there was a actual spec, I didn't get the paperwork from headquarters either, I guess they threw that away as they put the hinge on wrong… 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2013
    I have a few torque wrenches, and I used them when I assembled our egg the first time.  Last time I adjusted the bands I just used an impact wrench and relied on experience and intuition to tighten.  They didn't break and they're still tight when I do a pizza, so I guess I didn't F up.  :D
    Some just have a feel for that kinda thing, could be you also just lucked out. I've seen guys at the track that could set a bolt by feel, but they always checked it. 
    The most important part of the manual is:

IMPORTANT: You must check the band carriage bolts and the hinge / band studs for tightness regularly, especially after each of the first two or three uses. Failure to follow these instructions may cause the dome to slip out of the bands and break; this will not be covered under warranty. (NEVER TIGHTEN THE BANDS WHEN THE GRILL IS IN USE)

This last bit just like Eggcelsior says. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Solson005
    Again @Skiddymarker I am thankful for you passing along the info. While i may be able to feel torque specs pretty well, many eggheads probably can not. Sometimes we forget about the little things that some of us have picked up working with tools over many years. Any information on working on the egg which is the reason all of us are together, is much appreciated in my book. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • nolaegghead
    Skiddy, that is good info.  I always use a torque wrench on lug nuts.  I recommend anyone working on their egg follow the factory specifications.  I just happen to have lots of extra hardware if the bolt broke, and I'm a wrench jockey from my elementary school days.  I used the deformation of the bolt to estimate the torque.

edited March 2013
    To further beat a dead horse, while looking at other posts a Harbor Freight flyer came into my mailbox, look what they have....
  • nolaegghead
    Those are cheap.  They're not always accurate, but they'll put you in the ballpark.  The specs are well below the failure torque anyway.  I have a snap-on and proto 1/2 and 3/8" torque wrenches.  Rarely ever use them anymore since I kinda moved away from old temperamental cars.
    OK, guys, move away from the tools. Why do you have to remove the top anyway? I have to replace the gasket on my large when the weather gets warmer, so I've checked out the configuration. Looks like I can do it on the large without removing anything. On the mini, I just did the bottom to get around this issue. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • nolaegghead
    edited March 2013
    jlsm said:
    OK, guys, move away from the tools. Why do you have to remove the top anyway? I have to replace the gasket on my large when the weather gets warmer, so I've checked out the configuration. Looks like I can do it on the large without removing anything. On the mini, I just did the bottom to get around this issue. 
    I didn't remove the top when I replaced my gaskets.  I just had to make an alignment adjustment at some point.
    @nolaegghead that's all I'm planning to do as well is just a adjustment after installing the new gasket.
  • Solson005
    I did not take my dome off when I replaced the gasket on my large, on my small the hinge was upsidedown and although it worked fine once I knew it was wrong I wanted to fix it. It was much easier cleaning the gunk off with it inverted on the base but not necessary. If all your doing is adjusting then you won't need replacement bolts but if you do they are only $0.25 a piece.