Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

GWN (Toronto area) - lump deal at Costco

Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,458
edited March 2013 in Off Topic
Costo is carrying sugar maple hardwood lump from Quebec again, same price as last spring, $11.99 for 8 Kg. Last year they were sold out in about couple of weeks so act fast if you're interested. I picked up 10 bags only since I still have 15 assorted bags and my garage is cramped full! Got mine at Costco Vaughan, most locations should have it but better call before you go. 
canuckland

Comments

• milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Man - I wish my CostCo in NoVa carried that!  They only carry lump during the summer months. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Interesting.  Costco in San Antonio has Stubb's lump for $16.99 for 34 pounds.  I loaded up 3 bags just to say I bought over 100 pounds of lump.  I caught a little flak from SWMBO where storage is concerned, but I realize I'm a lightweight compared to some of the heavyweight lump hoarders here.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    I Picked some up myself (kitchener store) great product. Last year they stocked it all summer.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Also picked up some bags at the Vaughan store but must have before @canugghead as the skid was mostly full. Good sized pieces with this one being the largest.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Guys in the states should keep their eyes open for it too. It was in some US Costcos last year. It's Basques lump which is all sugar maple

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2013
    This is great stuff, used it while on vacation in Ontari-ari-ario last year. I would suggest that if you can get it, buy some. Unfortunately, those of us who happen to live west of Sudbury, cannot get it. (Can't get Maple Leaf in BC either for that matter. No wonder we cross border shop for lump)
    The price was very good, <$12 as I recall and the quality was excellent. It had a very mild sweet smoke smell and seemed to be a good mix of natural and saw mill ends. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    You vacation in ON? :)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    @skiddymarker - Just how west of Sudbury?
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Skiddymarker
    Greeno55 said:
    @skiddymarker - Just how west of Sudbury?
    About 3800 Km. Live in Delta BC. The reference to the nickel capital was with respect to Costco Canada selling Nature's Own lump (according to their website) but the furthest west store is the one in Sudbury, On. (Which when you consider Sudbury is pretty close to the middle of this huge country, means the west has no supplier)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Skiddymarker
    You vacation in ON? :)
    Family - SWMBO's brother and sister own places near Jones Falls on the Rideau. My brother is just north of Kingston, so we go to them, makes for a very busy week or two. 
  • Millsy
    Millsy Posts: 113
    Perfect I am down to my last bag .I think for the price it is the bomb
  • Canugghead
    edited March 2013
    Foghorn said:
    I caught a little flak from SWMBO where storage is concerned
    @Foghorn hehe, you have permission to show SWMBO my photo, tell her it's perfectly 'normal', this represents 1/3 of my typical stash and I'm a small time hoarder compared to many others   :))

@Eggnorth, I remember last year follks from GTA went to Kitchener to pick up the $899 Large and Basques after they were long gone in GTA. Hopefully it won't run out so soon this year otherwise they need to revamp their inventory system :D

@gabriegger, I was there just after lunch, the skids were still quite full.  I was just saying they sold out fast last year, probably even after replenishing the floor stocks few times.

@Millsy, it is the bomb indeed. Regular BBQ dealers sell it for $19.99 and up.  Blue-bag RO is $14.99 and up at crappy tire and Lowe's although Lowe's ran a 2-for-1 deal last year. ML is 17 or 18 bucks at Rona, cheaper if group-bought at Nella's but still higher than 11.99

@LittleSteven, can I store some at your shop? :D
    canuckland
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    edited March 2013
    @canugghead I must have just missed you. Wish they carried it all summer. How's the RO blue bag at the Tire compare to BGE?

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Canugghead
    edited March 2013
    @gabriegger RO is okay but not as nice as Basques or ML; Lowe's 2-for-1 RO deal was quite decent though.  Sorry can't remember clearly what BGE was like, used only one bag that came with my first egg 4-5 years ago; certainly not worth the premium $$$. 
    canuckland
  • Skiddymarker
    Have not confirmed this yet, but Lowe's in Canada will have Nature's Own, message from Basques. 
    "Thanks for writing us. As it turns out we are now listed at Lowes. The only store they have is in New Wesminster, 1085 Tanaka Rd.  We started shipping last week so they should have it now. 
    Thanks"

• Canugghead
    @Skiddy that's great news, hope it's reasonably priced.  Basques' web site lists all retailers including Costco, but still nada west of Sudbury.
    canuckland
  • Skiddymarker
    @Skiddy that's great news, hope it's reasonably priced.  Basques' web site lists all retailers including Costco, but still nada west of Sudbury.
    Maple Leaf is available for <$20 a bag at Home Hardware, I'm hoping Nature's Own will be as good. Most reviews I've seen rate them: ML, RO, NO. 
  • they carried it all summer at the Scarborough Costco.  I'm kind of banking on it again this summer because I dont have the room to store 10 bags of charcoal.    
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660

Maple Leaf is available for <$20 a bag at Home Hardware, I'm hoping Nature's Own will be as good. Most reviews I've seen rate them: ML, RO, NO. 

In my opinion, Nature's own comes 2nd after Maple Leaf and RO is far behind. However, Nature's own is roughly half the price at Costco when compared to Maple Leaf so it is my "every day" lump. That being said, SWMBO sometimes ask (order) me to go get Maple Leaf at our local Home Hardware store... BGE's quality varies from bag to bag and is 1.5 time the price of Maple Leaf's. RO is mostly OK but I had a few bad experiences with crap in the bag; this never happened to me with Maple Leaf or Nature's own.

edited March 2013
    IMO NO is better than ML, smell/taste and size consistency wise.  The cheapest place to get ML was and probably still is Nella's, based on my experience over a year ago, about $14 per 8 Kg bag or $12.50 if you group buy minimum 20 bags.  Last summer Lowe's had a one-week 2-for-1 sale on RO, $14.99 for two bags, not too shabby; some folks also got crappy tires to price match.
    canuckland
  • Skiddymarker
    edited March 2013
    Well there you go, Maple Leaf for $14 a bag in the east, $20 a bag here in "lotus land". No wonder we cross border shop in the thousands, ACE in Bellingham will bring in Wicked Good for less.
    I'm down to five 8KG bags of RO I picked up for a 2 for 1 at $14.99 a bag (final price was $7.50 for the 8Kg). It will be hard to pay full retail. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    Well there you go, Maple Leaf for $14 a bag in the east, $20 a bag here in "lotus land". No wonder we cross border shop in the thousands, ACE in Bellingham will bring in Wicked Good for less.
    I'm down to five 8KG bags of RO I picked up for a 2 for 1 at $14.99 a bag (final price was $7.50 for the 8Kg). It will be hard to pay full retail. 
    I never paid less than 18.99$ for Maple Leaf (8kg)

Time for a reverse raid-all those northern state Egger's need to head north and help with the sales/consumption.  Sounds like a great deal-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

Man - I wish my CostCo in NoVa carried that!  They only carry lump during the summer months. 

@milesbrown4 - which Costco? I'm in Frederick and mine only ever has Kingsford competition briquettes during "grilling season". I have family in NoVa so I could make an excuse to swing by.
  • Don_Piero
    Don_Piero Posts: 97
    Time to visit Costco in Etobi Coke. Thanks for posting as I'm just about out of lump.
    Piero from South Etobicoke in Toronto and sometimes Pinellas Park, St.Petersburg, XL-BGE
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,359
    I'm going to kitchener today, hope there is some left!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314

@milesbrown4 - which Costco? I'm in Frederick and mine only ever has Kingsford competition briquettes during "grilling season". I have family in NoVa so I could make an excuse to swing by.
    @Eggcelsior - I go to the CostCo in Springfield off Boston Boulevard.   I didn't find any after an exhaustive search so I asked the sales staff and was told that they carry lump during the "grilling" season.  After explaining that is all year round was told the summer months.  I am sure if Springfield starts to carry it then Frederick will as well.  Good luck!
  • Went to the Nepean Costco store in Ottawa and there was two skids worth of Basques.

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @foghorn...how is it?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Don_Piero
    Don_Piero Posts: 97
    Don_Piero said:
    Time to visit Costco in Etobi Coke. Thanks for posting as I'm just about out of lump.
    Bought 3 bags. Lots in Etobicoke
    Piero from South Etobicoke in Toronto and sometimes Pinellas Park, St.Petersburg, XL-BGE