Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Clean burn ?'s

What temp, how long and how often?
Spent the end of a cook's lump attempting to clean burn at 580 dome about two hours. Outside of egg (medium) has grease drips from the chimney and from the gasket lip. Inside is now kind of dry seasoned but all is still black sooted.
Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2013
    Load the box, top of the fire box - not the fire ring. Take out the dome termo, start it and open the bottom vent fully, nothing on the top vent. Make sure you have clearance and it will look like a "Top Gun" after burner... and it will be clean. My MBGE only hold the fire for about an hour. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Benefits of the burn out? Something I should be doing?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    flemster said:

It makes everything clean and white again.  Whether or not that is helpful/necessary/desirable is debatable.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942

Yeah, I'm one who doesn't see a need.  If you cook a pizza or a steak once in a while it takes care of itself.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I've burned mine bottom grate open and nothing on top several times. My interior still black. I dunno what point us besides wasting charcoal. My $0.02, and that's about all it's worth: remove interior pieces and clean out every so often. That'll do more than max burning temp of egg
    Boom
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    Foghorn said:
    flemster said:

It makes everything clean and white again.  Whether or not that is helpful/necessary/desirable is debatable.
    Has anyone ever cracked a firebox on a slow cook? It takes time to season your egg why burn that off?
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Three years now without a clean burn -- when that black crap gets crispy i'll scrap it off while loading my lump and let it fall in the fire box !!  ;)
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Rub the dome with some crumpled up aluminum foil. This helps get junk off to. Cheaper than a load of charcoal.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    @chokeonsmoke and @fanoffanboys
    make two very good points.  there are some impressive pictures on here where people let it rip and open up a somewhat new looking white egg afterwards... what does it mean??? well actually not a whole lot.  Now it is very important to clean your egg on a somewhat regular bases, depending on how much you cook, I have now fallen off to every few months.  

I do not do a "clean burn" any more but i let it get a little carried away when I am searing a steak or doing pizzas.  If I am towards the end of some lump I will just let it go wide open until it stops.  just loading it up to light and leave seams like a good waste to me

As @fanoffanboys mentioned, to me, my .02 cents, the most important thing you can do is a good cleaning out every now and then.  remove the innards and sweep or as i do shop vac it all clean, this will dramatically improve air flow and cooking control.  

I like to think of my LBGE as seasoned with a nice coat of love (soot) on the inside.  Gonna wear the small out until it is just as dark as big momma. 

XLBGE 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    unnecessary. waste of charcoal.