Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Birthday gift for me and the egg

My birthday is coming up and my mom wants to get me something for the egg, around 150$.  Was thinking about a partyQ. Any ideas?

XLBGE 

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Did you already get a woo setup for your small?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Agreed. I would ditch the temp control unit. Adjustable rig for you large (if you dont have one) or Woo for the small.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • +1 Chubbs. Happy Birthday MCN!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    ++1 for Chubbs idea.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I'm holding out on the swing rack for my small. I've for a woo extender for my large a have yet to come across something I couldn't tackle with it.

Does anyone have any experience where the AR would be much better than a woo ext?

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    GrannyX4 said:

Gift certificate to the local meat or fish market. ;;)

I'm digging this idea!

XLBGE 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I would go with Granny's idea.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• MrCookingNurse

No I went with the plate setter!! Gasp!

I'm add some bolts to my grate and make my own raised direct and I'm really wanting to see the swing rack for the small when @cgw gets done with it

XLBGE 
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    +1 on the meat idea
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    No I went with the plate setter!! Gasp! I'm add some bolts to my grate and make my own raised direct and I'm really wanting to see the swing rack for the small when @cgw gets done with it
    Nothing wrong with that!  I have had my small for about 2 years now and I still don't have a plate setter or a WOO.  I use a home mad elevated grid and broken pizza stone :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Freezer Freezer Freezer...

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Happy Birthday, MCN!
    I like the gift certificates. I recently put in a lot of hours helping a friend reno a kitchen, he wanted to pay me and I refused so he gave me some gift certificates at the local meat market, much appreciated and will be used with "gusto", or is that beer? 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Like the GC idea... However, $150 should get you a few bottles of Double Oak
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    But one steak and hit the liquor store..
    :(|)
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    The way I look at gift or a bonus: I can get something on my wish list that I might not buy with my own money. 

Gift certificate would be great because I don't usually shop at the high end butcher. 

EggCarten to make the small even more portable.

Potlifter to move it easier if you don't want the eggCarten

Of course the Small Swing-rack would be at the top but its not out… yet. 

Maybe a nice knife or end grain butcher block cutting board? I'm looking at the Proteak cutting boards that CGW just announced they will be carrying soon. The marine ones are super thin but and not very expensive so I might get one with my travel setup. 

Spider or Woo setup and a Wok for either egg.

Half of a Yeti cooler 
    :))

Lifetime tailgate table for when the small travels @RAC has one New Family Member and the eggCarten sits on it perfect it even has hooks for utensils. You can find it at Sams. 

Some Quart bottles of Dizzy Pig baller style like @Plano_JJIs it "on" or what? or any shaker bottles you want / don't have. 

Cast iron pieces / I like Craycort grates but am going to hold out for the swing rack on my small, and i'm still searching for the perfect griddle for the small. 

Or go with your original thought and add a little of your money and get a digiQ 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • MrCookingNurse
    @solson005
    You my friend are a genius!!

I took your advice, kind of. The way I see it, this is something I'd never buy my self or spend my own money one.

I like the gift card idea, but I'll buy a nice piece of meat and that won't last long. An egg carten is prolly one of my next purchase unless the CGW swing racks come out. If that was out I'd have picked it! For sure!

I just ordered a pot lifter last month. Works really good and I can one man my egg in and out of the table. That's what I needed it for. Egg carten will be a next and a must for travel.

So drum roll please!! Ha no suspense needed.

I went with the party Q. I've never been gung hoe over controllers but since its "free" I do think I'd do more long cooks if I had the added piece of mind!

I'm super pumped. And thanks to @solson005 and the rest of you guys, my want lost has grown!!

I actually forgot about the egg carten but was leaning towards trying to make my own. My father in law welds and was interested in trying to make our own apparatus for flying trips with the egg.

XLBGE 
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    With your schedule it is the best choice. A little sleep is a good thing sometimes. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • MrCookingNurse
    GrannyX4 said:

With your schedule it is the best choice. A little sleep is a good thing sometimes. ;;)

@granyX4
    Kinda what I was thinking. With working call I'd be more apt to start a 5-8 hour cook if I knew I could run to the hospital and back

XLBGE 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

GrannyX4 said:

@granyX4
    Kinda what I was thinking. With working call I'd be more apt to start a 5-8 hour cook if I knew I could run to the hospital and back
    This is exactly why I want to get a cyberq or a stoker. Nothing like monitoring your egg while running a code. ;)
  • MrCookingNurse
    @eggcelsior

Ha sounds awesome. What do you do?

XLBGE 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited March 2013
    Glad I could be of some help. 

I got my home theater speakers / receiver that way, one piece with each bonus. Then got the last piece as a gift. 

I think your really enjoy it, I use my digiQ for anything I cook over an hour except for pizza. I don't have a maverick just that and my thermapen. Here is the Naked Whiz Review of it if you haven't checked it out yet The PartyQ from The BBQ Guru At first I just had the pit viper fan when I had a cheap smoker to try and keep the temp up so it was just a on or off feature and had good success. I got the DigiQ as a gift when I got the Large egg and have never looked back.  

I think building your own holder could be fun and since you have the pot lifter to move the egg you could make it to fit in the plane perfectly, I can always take some measurements from mine if you go that route. I have a pretty cool mod I'm going to try and do to it this weekend 
    :-?
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

@eggcelsior

Ha sounds awesome. What do you do?

Right now I'm a Clinical Coordinator in GI. I wanted some ambulatory experience for getting my doctorate. I used to work at Shock Trauma in neurotrauma and I'm getting the itch again. Every time I hear the Medevac landing the adrenaline starts rushing again, though it never really stopped. Plus 4 days off to egg.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Let us know how you like the PartyQ. I've been flirting with the idea. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • waegger
    waegger Posts: 88
    You will love the party Q i , i use on all my long cooks and it works great . a low cost way for peace of mind.
  • MrCookingNurse
    waegger said:

You will love the party Q i , i use on all my long cooks and it works great . a low cost way for peace of mind.

I've faught the temp controller for long enough. I'm the first guy to comment on a thread about controlling and bonding with your egg. Well, this is "free" an well worth a shot. I can see myself cookig a lot more knowing I can get a little space between me and the eggs.

XLBGE 
  • SmokeyPitt
    I think you made a great choice.  It was the first thing you mentioned...so it was what you wanted!  It will be great for overnighters.  One cool thing about the party Q is it is battery operated, so if you get the adapter for your small you can take it tailgating, camping, etc.  That way you can concentrate on drinking beer.  That's probably where it got the name ;)