Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Uses for ash?

Options
Bullibe
Bullibe Posts: 132
I have been wondering is the ash from the Egg good for certain plants?
Redneck Riviera, Gulf Shores, Alabama

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    It acts like lime- keep it away from acid loving plants like azaleas, etc
    Greensboro, NC
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    Options
    I have a big spot behind my deck where most of the grass has died. I live on top of a mountain ridge where the soil is very poor. So, I am throwing my ashes onto this spot in the hope that it will help to enrich the soil. Yes, it is a feeble attempt, I know.

Tim
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    ratcheer said:
    I have a big spot behind my deck where most of the grass has died. I live on top of a mountain ridge where the soil is very poor. So, I am throwing my ashes onto this spot in the hope that it will help to enrich the soil. Yes, it is a feeble attempt, I know.

Tim
    I'm in the same boat, but I've given up on the lawn and use it in our garden

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Test to see what the pH of your soil is, and what plants (as above) might be growing where you spread it. My soil is slightly basic already, so the ash doesn't help.
  • Bullibe
    Bullibe Posts: 132
    Options
    Thanks, I guess I need to do some soil samples and see what I have now.
    Redneck Riviera, Gulf Shores, Alabama
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    I've been putting on my asparagus beds which respond well to lime. The current ph is slightly acidic.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Spread mine on the lawn and flower beds, coastal BC has very acidic soil and moss thrives. I still spread lime every year, so the ash goes into the flower beds and onto the heavy moss areas - the moss is still healthy so I guess I need to cook more. 
    Good advice above, know your soil PH and if acid, the ash will help. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Spread mine on the lawn and flower beds, coastal BC has very acidic soil and moss thrives. I still spread lime every year, so the ash goes into the flower beds and onto the heavy moss areas - the moss is still healthy so I guess I need to cook more. 

had not occured to me before about the moss wanting acid. i want more on the patio between the stones, maybe i should be mulching pine needles in the fall before the snowfall
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2013
    Options

had not occured to me before about the moss wanting acid. i want more on the patio between the stones, maybe i should be mulching pine needles in the fall before the snowfall
    Coffee grounds and peat moss are the two most common "acid adders" for the home gardener. during hot summer days with a thunderstorm, your yard might smell like a Starbucks. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    It is getting a little late in the year but you can use it to make a solution to help prevent ice on your driveway, sidewalks, etc:

http://www.ehow.com/how_10070755_make-homemade-brine-solution-sidewalks-driveways.html

Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This