Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sad Day. Broke my dome

While starting the process of changing my band and spring assembly, I dropped my dome lid and it shattered. Can I buy just a new dome or do I have to buy a whole new rig? Wasn't sure if the lid is unique to each unit.

Comments

• RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Man that sucks! The domes are sold separately. You may be able to get it replaced under warranty. You have nothing to lose...
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Yeah u can buy just dome. Sorry that happend
    Seattle, WA
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I am so sorry that happened. I would be "shattered" as well.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Ouch! I feel for you. I know I would be seriously unhappy if that happened to me. No harm in trying to get a warranty replacement. The worst they could say is no. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Yep. I'd ask at least. They can't kill ya and eat ya!
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I wouldnt be able to get out of bed the next day if that happened to me. Cant believe that tree fell on your egg :-$
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited March 2013

I'd like to think most are honest.  This thread leads me to question that premise.

Why would this be a warranty issue?

When ever we have a accident happens with one of our customers we try to get their Egg put back together for cost of parts.  It saddens us all to hear these types of stories.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

@roost, Ouch! So sorry to hear that. I think one can buy parts of the egg if they break.

What were you changing the band and springs for?

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• CSRAEgger
    CSRAEgger Posts: 18
    I agree, Smitty and Bow. Some of the comments are very disturbing. Glad I'm teaching my children the right way of doing things.
  • I'm sorry you're out of action for a spell.  Hope you get put back together real soon!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Aviator said:

@roost, Ouch! So sorry to hear that. I think one can buy parts of the egg if they break.

What were you changing the band and springs for?

A couple of years ago I almost lost the entire egg. I was moving it and it tipped over. I was holding the dome by the lift handle and when I pulled to save the egg from falling over the entire dome, top band, bottom band and spring assembly came off the egg. Somewhere in the process I think one of the bands was bent and the spring assembly got out of whack. I never could get the dome to set so that it didn't leak air....even with a new gasket. I plan to go to a local dealer today and get a price on a new dome.
  • probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    I agree with BOWHUNR, et al.  May be an insurance issue but certainly not a warranty issue.
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    probe1957 said:
    I agree with BOWHUNR, et al.  May be an insurance issue but certainly not a warranty issue.
    Ditto !!

Opelika, Alabama
  • caliking
    Methinks the high horses should be returned to the stable for a bit.

I was not implying that the OP should be dishonest in any way, and I'm pretty sure that Chubbs' comment above was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. What is wrong with explaining the situation to the mothership and asking if it would be covered by warranty? They are the keepers of the warranty -  let them decide. The worst that they could say is no, and the OP is no worse off than when he started i.e. with a broken dome that needs to be replaced. I don't see what is so immoral or "disturbing" about that. 

It can't hurt to ask.What a tragedy it would be if the OP saved a few bucks. 

• I checked with my local dealer and their price was $219+ tax. I was expecting it to be more. Does anyone know if this is the going rate for a dome for the large model?
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576

I'd like to think most are honest.  This thread leads me to question that premise.

Why would this be a warranty issue?

When ever we have a accident happens with one of our customers we try to get their Egg put back together for cost of parts.  It saddens us all to hear these types of stories.

SMITTY, I am glad you are a good businessman.  If this ever happens, I will let you know and let you know the truth.  Can't wait to see you at Eggs by the Bay this year!

I appreciate when you offered to sell me a part I thought I lost at last eggefest at cost.  Luckily, I found it.

• Chubbs
    Clearly I was joking guys and gals. Sucks you lost the dome. I see some halves on Craigslist quite a bit so you can likely find a replacement. I would suggest the mother ship though so you can be certain it is in good shape.
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    sorry for your loss!!! hopefuly back up and running soon!! :((
  • Chubbs
    Oh and by mother ship I am not saying a warranty claim as they would not fly for that. Bow and Smitty, I hope you guys know I was joking. :-t
  • hoffmand
    hoffmand Posts: 105

I checked with my local dealer and their price was $219+ tax. I was expecting it to be more. Does anyone know if this is the going rate for a dome for the large model?

Yes, that's the MSRP for a large replacement dome.

Cedar Park, TX
  • caliking
    I would check other dealers as well just to see. When I bought my small there was a $150 difference between various dealers.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Sad, we all make mistakes, but this one is truly disturbing, your egg is only good for wokking until you get a replacement, When you buy a replacement, make sure you know how to register it for warranty incase it breaks in the future without your help.. Good luck
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • JohnMc
    JohnMc Posts: 76
    I broke a medium dome last summer the same way, changing the bands.  I was on the last bolt/spring when it went flying off onto the cement.  Got a replacement from local BGE dealer in just a few days for $150.  I was real careful putting it back on.  Good luck.
  • RLeeper
    edited March 2013
    BOWHUNR said:
    RLeeper, he broke it, how in the heck can that be warranty?  This is a perfect example of why costs are going through the roof.  Manufacturers are having to build in costs for those that feel they are entitled and want to cheat the system.

Roost just needs to order a new dome.

Chubbs, Why in the hell would BGE be obligated to replace an egg that a tree fell on?

Mike
    I have never had to place a Warranty claim. Didn't suggest he go to the dealer and lie but suggested he explain what happened to see if it would be replaced. Some warranties allow people to replace one item over a lifetime regardless of the cause of damage. What does the warranty say? Each dealer is different.
  • RLeeper
    edited March 2013
    caliking said:
    Methinks the high horses should be returned to the stable for a bit.

I was not implying that the OP should be dishonest in any way, and I'm pretty sure that Chubbs' comment above was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. What is wrong with explaining the situation to the mothership and asking if it would be covered by warranty? They are the keepers of the warranty -  let them decide. The worst that they could say is no, and the OP is no worse off than when he started i.e. with a broken dome that needs to be replaced. I don't see what is so immoral or "disturbing" about that. 

It can't hurt to ask.What a tragedy it would be if the OP saved a few bucks. 

Caliking I agree. A lot were quick to jump to conclusions and judge for trying to help someone out. No one suggested he fabricate a story to attempt to get a new dome for free. The character attacks were a little surprising.
  • Thanks for the feedback. I ordered a new Dome from my local dealer yesterday. Have a great rest of the week everyone.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @RLeeper - "What does the warranty say? Each dealer is different."
    Not sure this is true - the warranty I saw/have is with BGE, not my dealer. The dealer was very helpful with making sure I knew how to register, but the warranty is between BGE and me. The dome and base have lifetime warranties to original purchaser, but are void due to "abuse", which of course would include dropping it. Always worthwhile to ask your dealer, if he can get you one under warranty, great, if not he can order a replacement. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RLeeper
    @RLeeper - "What does the warranty say? Each dealer is different."
    Not sure this is true - the warranty I saw/have is with BGE, not my dealer. The dealer was very helpful with making sure I knew how to register, but the warranty is between BGE and me. The dome and base have lifetime warranties to original purchaser, but are void due to "abuse", which of course would include dropping it. Always worthwhile to ask your dealer, if he can get you one under warranty, great, if not he can order a replacement. 

Thanks for that info. After I posted that I did a little research on the warranty. I saw where it stated that abuse is not covered and it get that...I also saw where it says that the exclusions may not apply to some people depending on where they reside. Overall that wasn't the issue for me. The concerning factor was that some seemed to place judgement on character and ethics based on a comment that was meant to provide assistance to someone in need. I was not trying to suggest he try to defraud any business or dealer but ask. Back to Egging and eating I go!