Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New handle and gasket change for the Small BGE

Solson005
Solson005 Posts: 1,911
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
A couple weeks ago I fired up the Small BGE for a quick weeknight cook. Half way through I opened up the dome and saw this. 

I ripped off the top gasket and finished my cook. Later that night I sent BGE a email with the picture attached and asked for a high-temp replacement gasket. I got a response before noon the next day and had a gasket shipped to me. Around a week later it arrived and it had a adhesive back so no need to mess with the spray adhesive like I did with my large egg. 

Also last week while answering a question about small eggs on the forum It came to my attention that my hinge was installed upside-down from the dealer. While it worked fine and was not the reason my gasket failed I decided to take the dome off and fix this issue at the same time as my gasket. 
Before

The easiest way to balance the dome is get a couple of rags, take out the thermometer, and flip it into the base. 

Make sure to keep the inside of the gasket flush with the inside of the dome the outside can have the excess part of the gasket. 

Next the base gets scraped clean. 
I used rubbing alcohol to help loosen up the gasket adhesive that was stuck to the ceramic and a few razor blades. 

Then it was time to flip the hinge around and get it the way it should have been from day one! I went ahead and splurged and got two new 5/16 x 2" carriage bolts since you bend them to get the bands tight. Cost me $0.50 but it was for a good cause.. 
and finally it was time to put on my new handle from Danny's Carvings Danny does great work and I highly recommend him if you want a personalized handle. This time around I went with the Sooner Schooner. I like to think of my small as being a sort of a chuck wagon that can travel and create great food. The Schooner is one of my favorite symbols for the University of Oklahoma! He even signs the back of the handle. 

All Done! 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    As good as new. I like the carten.
    Seattle, WA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Cool handle> And thanks for the step by step - my small came with the old gasket, so I will probably be doing this replacement at some point.

OT but related to the small: Mine fits a bit too snugly in the nest, which makes removal for travelling etc just a bit difficult. Any tips for loosening it up a tad?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Great post, and thank you for sharing.  I just got my small to compliment the large at Christmas this year.  My goal with the small frankly was to use less lump if possible for just the 2 of us and spend the savings on better ingredients and beverages.  I cannot help but to feel a little "inadequate" with the small amount of fuel that the small takes in comparison to the large.  Although I have probably used it 10 times, I wonder if you feel that the small is just a smaller version of your large, or if it has it's own plusses and minuses.  I am just not (yet) feeling the same control of temps on cooks that I have with my Large.  I want to love it as much as my large, but we seem to be stuck in the courting phase.  

Any thoughts?  Thanks-
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• Solson005
    edited February 2013
    Thanks @SkinnyV the eggCARTen makes traveling with the egg so much easier and stable. 

@caliking thanks. Mine is pretty tight too, I step on the crossbar of the nest when I "yank" it out, you have to make sure the little rubber knobs don't fly off because it will scratch when you goto put your egg back on the nest. Maybe having a second person just to help stabilize as it pops out. I like to leave mine in the eggCarten but travel over to a friends almost weekly and they have a long concrete path that makes it easter to use the nest so its in and out quite often. 

@allsid cooking on the small is definitely different than the large. I leave my Woo from the ceramic grill store in my egg at all times. I think that helps put distance between the grate and the fire. I would load up the lump and just fire up the small and play with the settings for a couple of hours. Mine likes to stabilize around 400° so thats where I cook chicken and burgers. The main thing with the small is making minor adjustments after the food goes in, the temp usually drops and i have to bump it back up. It takes a little more tending, but can make food just as good as the large. Getting a high-que helps with airflow and startup times. It was highly recommended in a couple of posts before I got my small so I had one delivered before I bought mine and haven't cooked without it. If you have any specific questions just ask and I can try to help. I would do maybe a spatchcock chicken or some brats and get a couple of cooks that aren't expensive cuts of meat and just spend some time dialing in temps on the small. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Nice handle, very cool!

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Thanks @Solson005 for the response.  Fortunately, I also got the High que prior to my small arrival and did get a Woo as my first purchase from CGS shortly thereafter.  On my large unless I am looking for violent heat, I almost always go raised direct and figured the woo would be the best solution for the money on the small.  I do find it hard to keep lump from falling thru the hi-que but I guess that is life-  Thanks for the advice and similar to my large, I guess I just need to take my lumps and not try to rush anything until I have 75-100 cooks on it under my belt- 

Cheers!  P-

Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• Solson005
    Thanks @Skiddymarker those Canadians do great work!   :D

Here is the other handle he made for my large from my sister's drawing. 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited February 2013
    Nice tutorial you put together Solson005!

@caliking - I had to "loosen" the nest that came with my LBGE to allow my Imperial Kamado to fit in it (my LBGE is in a table). I used a large crescent wrench (15" I think) and just bent the nest "arms" out a little. Not the most gentle solution but it worked for me.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Solson005
    @allsid one day it just clicked for me. I used to prefer my large and wasn't happy with the results on the small and after a couple of really good meals my attitude and the cooking got a little easier. I try to stack large pieces of lump at the bottom of the pile to cut down what falls through the high-que but some still does. You'll get the hang of the little guy. 
  • When it comes to wood, no doubt Canuck seem to have a nice touch, maybe because our national animal is a beaver, working with wood comes naturally... 

;))
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Solson005
    Thanks @R2Egg2Q I saw lots of posts mostly from years ago, talking about this but none really had any pictures so I thought I would share. Posts like your Tri Tip Tutorial which I was reading earlier in the week make people want to cook that or answers some questions so I try to have pictures explaining the process. 
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Nice handle Solson. 

Which dealer in the area installed the hinge wrong?  If you don't want to say...I understand.  You can send me a private message if you prefer.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • Very nice my man! Can't wait to put my handle on from Danny.

Appriciate the write up, I've got gasket coming for my large

XLBGE 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I have my second Nomex in a drawer. I am thinking about just putting it on bottom so I have the second half as a reserve. I would image if I get a good seal gasket less I will get one with gasket on bottom only.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Do you have to take the bands off to replace the handle?
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Solson005
    edited February 2013
    @Logger Thanks I like how my handle shows support for my team and has ties to cooking on a open flame. Everything BBQ was NOT the place I got my small from, but is my go to dealer for Ozark Oak, rubs, and recipe ideas, I did buy my large there. Those guys are all pretty helpful and always have lump in stock. The other place happened to be $125 cheaper and threw in lump and a ash tool, but the girl checking me out couldn't answer any questions, so yes I saved some money but I didn't get any service before, during, or after the sale. 

@MrCookingNurse thanks! I didn't take off the dome for my large but it was a pretty tight squeeze in the back. It might be a little easier if you do but not necessary. 

@Chubbs I've seen lots of guys do it and I'm sure it would work on just the bottom. I got this gasket with the warranty so I put it on both the top and the bottom. Having a exposed ceramic edge would drive me crazy, if someone else (or myself) was to slam down the dome and risk chipping. If this one fails I'll get a replacement and fix it again. I don't' seem to have the gasket issues a lot of guys talk about. so replacing the second one for both my eggs in two years isn't that big of a deal for me. 

@YEMTrey no you can just take the two nuts off of the band that hold the handle piece on, Then take it over to a bench and work on it easily. 
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Lovin that handle!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• Solson005
    Thanks @Scott805 I do too! Hopefully I will have a nice setup to do some tailgating this fall! 
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Nice work there Bud. Like the step by step.
  • Solson005
    Thanks @Plano_JJ I figured it could help someone else with a picture to go along with the description, so I just made a post. 
  • Solson005
    Here is document Big Green Egg sent me along with the gasket to help prolong the life of the new one. Most of it has been covered by questions but I will post it to have as much info on this post as possible. 

Managing your Big Green Egg gasket

On a new grill, you should have several (3-4) low temperature (350 degree) cooks before cooking at higher temperatures.  This gentle heating helps to set the adhesive on the new gasket.  It is best to avoid cooking steak or pizza right out of the box.  After you’ve had a few cooks, you can move on to steaks, but be mindful that the gasket is going to be affected by too much heat.  It is OK to get the grill up to 600-650 degrees but shut the grill down when you remove your food.  There is no need to leave a new grill burning at high heat after you have removed your food.  Doing so can result in burned gaskets or gaskets that become fused together.  Cook your food and shut the grill down so it can begin cooling.  Over time the gasket is going to flatten and turn black.  It is much less susceptible to heat damage when it reaches this point, but a new fluffy gasket must be treated with kid gloves for a while. 

The number one thing that causes gasket burning on a new grill is using the plate setter with feet pointing down in conjunction with high heat.  In this orientation, the heat hits the bottom of the plate setter and is pushed out through the gaskets.  For this reason, the only way I recommend using the plate setter is with feet pointing up.  To cook a pizza, install the plate setter with feet pointing up, cooking grid on plate setter feet, and pizza stone on the cooking grid.  This moves the bottom of the plate setter away from the gaskets and down inside the body of the Egg.  Making this change and cooking your pizzas at 500-550 degrees will help prevent the problem in the future.  If you do a great deal of steak or pizza, you will be better served by a high heat (nomex) gasket.

The way the Egg is made, all the heat travels up the back wall of the grill, so the area between the rear hinges will always be hardest hit and prone to burning.  One thing you can do to protect that area is the install one of the plate setter legs between that rear hinge area.  This will help deflect some of that heat away from the hinge area. 

If your gasket is being pulled off the base of the Egg, between the rear hinges, or your dome has an under bite, this is an adjustment problem.  The bottom band is too far down and the dome is pulling the gasket off the base.  To correct the problem you need to move the bottom band up toward the gasket.  Make sure the dome is closed, slightly loosen the bottom carriage bolt, then using a wooden block and hammer, tap the bottom of the bottom band to move the band up toward the gasket.  You want the bottom band to be 1/8” below the gasket.  Be sure that you can see a small sliver of green ceramic material between the band and gasket.  After you re-tighten the bottom carriage bolt, it may be necessary to loosen the top carriage bolt, push the dome down onto the base, and re-tighten the top carriage bolt.  It is easier to do this step with an extra set of hands.  Make sure both carriage bolts are properly tightened and check for proper operation. 

Recommended cooking temperatures are:  steaks at 600 degrees, pizzas at 500 degrees, and chicken, burgers, and dogs at 400 degrees. Make sure to always use the plate setter with the feet pointing up.  The thing most people don't realize is that a dome temperature of 750 degrees translates to a cooking grid temperature of 1000 degrees or more.  Understand your cooking habits and grill set up dictate how long your gasket will last.  Keep these things in mind and you will spend more time cooking and go longer between gasket changes. 

• Bught a small to use in the RV and have been debating about the Eggcarten for it...Do you find it hard it to move around in it...and what do you sit it on when you cook?

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• Solson005
    edited February 2013
    The trickiest part about the eggCARTen is getting the egg in and out which is much easier with two people once it is in it is very easy to move around by yourself and a cinch to move with two people. The egg just is too awkward for me to carry without something and too fragile as well. I have a teak shower stool that I put it on. @RAC has a cool table that I will be looking into New Family Member 
    Bught a small to use in the RV and have been debating about the Eggcarten for it...Do you find it hard it to move around in it...and what do you sit it on when you cook?
    Edit sorry I meant to include a picture of the stand
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    @Solson, what wood did Danny use for your handles? Looks different than the other handles I have seen him make.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    My favorite line in the gasket instructions:
    " , but a new fluffy gasket must be treated with kid gloves for a while."

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Solson005
    @Chubbs it is the same as Danny uses for all the handles. Mine got a couple more coats of varnish since he didn't paint them. 

@caliking I liked that part too. 
  • Awesome handle!

BOOMER!
  • Solson005
    Thanks @smokinsooner I thought it was fitting for both BBQ and the Sooners!