Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Diamond plate for hot area

Options
Would a sheet of diamond plate or just thin steal be enough surface to have as a hot area on a wood table? I was at lowes and saw some 2x2 sheets of diamond plate. Thought about screwing one down on my lower shelf in the middle to toss stones, PS grids such and such of dirty hot things when changing set up. Easy to clean and looks kinda cool.

Any thoughts.

XLBGE 

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Rust never sleeps. If it's galvanized you will be OK but the edges will rust if you don't seal them with something. Maybe pick up a stainless tile

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MrCookingNurse
    Options

Rust never sleeps. If it's galvanized you will be OK but the edges will rust if you don't seal them with something. Maybe pick up a stainless tile

Was thinking of needing to put a rubber seal around the edges just so I don't cut my self on them. Don't have quiet the rust problem in Mississippi as you Canuks but that's somethig didn't come to my mind. Thanks.

@little Steven
    Would this be in flooring dept prolly?

XLBGE 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Agree with LS - rust never sleeps, no matter where you live unless it is a desert. 

I think the diamond plates would be OK. They should act like a trivet until whatever you throw on it cools, and that would not be too long. If it is the one I think it is, the diamonds are slightly raised, a little air space is good. Like your idea of rubber seal on the edges. maybe over some rust paint on the edge or a light coat of oil, rubber over that. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Options
    You can buy some zinc spray( looks like a bottle of spray paint) and spray the edges then let dry then put your plastic cover over that. I do electrical work and we spray all galvanized metal on the edges where we cut and it works great to prevent rust. Good luck!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    But a mangrate down...it'll change your life.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    henapple said:
    But a mangrate down...it'll change your life.
    Finally, a use worth talking about. Fireproof, air gap - a true BBQ trivet. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Agree with LS - rust never sleeps, no matter where you live unless it is a desert. 

I think the diamond plates would be OK. They should act like a trivet until whatever you throw on it cools, and that would not be too long. If it is the one I think it is, the diamonds are slightly raised, a little air space is good. Like your idea of rubber seal on the edges. maybe over some rust paint on the edge or a light coat of oil, rubber over that. 
    NY eh Skiddy?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MrCookingNurse
    Options

yup thats it.  

Thanks guys

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Kosko said:
    You can buy some zinc spray( looks like a bottle of spray paint) and spray the edges then let dry then put your plastic cover over that. I do electrical work and we spray all galvanized metal on the edges where we cut and it works great to prevent rust. Good luck!

thanks man, will check that out.

next step in table is to stain and seal it.  hoping to do that next week or twoo, lay this diamond plate... then on to lighting!! OUI!! its got me all boogered out.  I have a head lamp but something permanent would work better.  or a permanent head lamp!!! could have a lot of uses.  Well then theres the second egg, gotta cut a hole for my small and figure out how to hinge the edge so i can pull the small in and out!!! NEVER ENDING MONEY PIT!!!

XLBGE 
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Was thinking of needing to put a rubber seal around the edges just so I don't cut my self on them. Don't have quiet the rust problem in Mississippi as you Canuks but that's somethig didn't come to my mind. Thanks. @little Steven Would this be in flooring dept prolly?
    I would think you would have to go to a tile importer warehouse

Steve 

Caledon, ON