Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

73° in the Egg Shed

Options
2»

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    stupid mild weather here in new england, some one send me a cold front, really, i like cold winters and frozen lakes to walk on, i feel bad for the south knowing its going to get hot soon. hit 58 this weekend and i opened the doors
    It's stupid mild down here in Maryland too. 60 today. I am supposed to ski patrol on Wednesday night so I need this crap to clear out or I am going to have a bad time.
    you guys must be down to mud and slush on the slopes, that cant be good, i havent even thought about ruining my skis this year on the slopes
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    We have had 2 "good" weeks since opening 1 week before Christmas. It's not saying much, but at least it's been better than last year....

Frontside: 

Backside:

• fishlessman
    Options
    definitely rental skiis for that
    :)
    fukahwee maine

• AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options

177 inches at Sushine Village Ski Resort this season so far. Although I have not made it out there yet. 20 inches fresh in the last 7 days.

County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    stupid mild weather here in new england, some one send me a cold front, really, i like cold winters and frozen lakes to walk on, i feel bad for the south knowing its going to get hot soon. hit 58 this weekend and i opened the doors
    Yep- keep feeling bad for me when I'm out on the lake in my boat and in my pool from march-october, playing golf and fishing all winter. Eating outside most of the year.................it's horrible! Somebody get me out of here!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eggcelsior
    edited January 2013
    Options
    That would be quite depressing for me actually. I do enjoy the 4 seasons and the transitions are the best time of year, especially the fall. I could do consistent temperatures but it would have to involve the ocean in very close(walking) proximity. I may return to Charleston in this case, or as my wife says, buy lots of flannel and a golden retriever then move up to Vermont for the other extreme.
  • CavemanCook
    Options
    We have had 2 "good" weeks since opening 1 week before Christmas. It's not saying much, but at least it's been better than last year....

Awesome Views!! I could soak that up everyday. 

If its not memorable, its not worth doing.

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Har de har har, caveman :D

Here is the view from opening weekend.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Same shot from the previous day, during the storm.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    brentsee said:

73 in my egg shed too... but -28C or -22F outside.  No open water outside, just ice and lots of snow.  I cook inside the garage for the winter.  Have to modify this setup someday, the cardboard sides aren't very fireproof.  The smoke goes out the wall through a chimney and i have fresh air intake from the attic.

dude......seriously. Is that attached to your house? Me no likey the cardboard dampers
    The cardboard dampers protect all the flammable liquids on the shelves from stray embers. ;)
    Options

Yep- keep feeling bad for me when I'm out on the lake in my boat and in my pool from march-october, playing golf and fishing all winter. Eating outside most of the year.................it's horrible! Somebody get me out of here!
    i dont golf. i ice fish all winter, put the boat away the weekend before xmas, will be floating late march again, usually dont even put it away during the winter but go diving off the coast thru the winter. only reason im not diving this year is that my brother lost his ankles in a wreck last year, will take another year or so before he can do it again hopefully. i eat outside on the weekends too, its dark at dinner time now so its indoors during the week. we dive in the winter because of the water clearity, i think this year the suit wouldnt fit.
    :D then we got those ski slopes for when its cold. i really do hate the heat, 80 max for me and i hope it dont last. only month i could do without is march
    fukahwee maine

• FlashkaBob
    Options
    I got a chuckle reading all the posts on this thread. All you folks bragging about the beautiful warm weather and how you all eat outside year round. It's funny but I didn't hear a single word about the hurricanes and himicanes, the torrential downpours and flooding, the tornadoes and droughts and wildfires that you guys are susceptible to at other times of the year. Us northerners are in the perfect place for global warming. At some point in the future, when everything south of the 49th parallel becomes desert, we will be in the temperate zone. We will then get our revenge by posting about what a beautiful warm Christmas we had here while you guys are all frying like bacon in the south Mwah Ha Ha! >:)

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• CavemanCook
    Options
    Ouch FlashkaBob.  I think southerners take the weather for granted sometimes- me included.  This is no more true after seeing how other eggers do what the do above the 49th parallel since this thread began. Now... was I bragging to be barefoot while watching the Bronco's Game? Not really. What I saw at Mile High Stadium was 80,000 Christmas Story Ralphie little brothers i.e. "I can't put down my arms" all bundled up.  It made laugh. 

For what its worth, I did second guess making the thread afterwards. The extreme differences are just crazy - thats all.

• AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options

-30c to +30c, yes they can be extreme, these past days alone we saw -30c and will be back up to +6 for tomorrow. Crappy thing is that we will be back down for the weekend again when my kids have asked for a bacon wrapped pork loin on the egg. Will be only my second egg cook but I bet it turns out better than the gas bbq for sure. So ya, some of us will end up cooking in no matter what temperatures or conditions. Ice fishing is great, but I did envy the comment on year round fishing. I sure miss the open water, a few more months and we will be back in the boat. GREAT looking place by the way CavemanCook. Probably one of the nicest set ups I have seen. “80,000 Christmas Story Ralphie little brothers” That was pretty good!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    The little bros part was golden. I guess they can't do it like the friendly folks in Green Bay, ya know?
  • CavemanCook
    Options
    I reread bob's post... kidding more than serious :-). Just trying to figure out the board folks/etiquette. Newbies have a learning curve :-)

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I know everyone as their favorite spots. I've lived all over and prefer hot over cold. I would really prefer a totally temperate climate (San Diego-ish) with vacations to the great fall and winter spots.

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Spanish for "The whale's vagina" doesn't really sound like a nice place, CT
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    I really prefer cold, only because I can put on more layers. You can't take your skin off(without damage)

I attribute this to the inefficient HVAC in my parents house. My room was on the end of the duct run, and my bedroom window leaked. It was always cold in the winter(more covers, snuggies, footed pj's). I would absolutely die in the summer time. No wonder I liked going to camp so much.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    heres a good winter spot, was a 2 hr drive north, and another hour by 4 wheeler, but it was worth it, thats a fishing spot
    :D

fukahwee maine

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    heres a good winter spot, was a 2 hr drive north, and another hour by 4 wheeler, but it was worth it, thats a fishing spot
    :D

I can almost see Santa!
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    Options
    -25C without windchill here in northern ontario!!!made roast with baby red potatoes and carrots!!everything was great!
  • burr_baby33
    Options
    Cold front should be on the way.  We had 70 in Kentucky on Saturday and 29 today (Monday).  Get ready.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Founded by the germans.............
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited January 2013
    Options
    craziest weather day day ever- I had a house in Appleton WI (Green Bay Area) that I was trying to sell after moving back to Austin TX. I had to go up there to check on the house because the weather got so severe I was worried. It was 20+ below for 3 weeks so I went up to make sure the place was still standing. It was January and in Austin the day I left....82 degrees. Landed in Appleton 3 hrs later. 22 below. 104 degrees difference!!!!!! Try to pack for that one.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options

I got a chuckle reading all the posts on this thread. All you folks bragging about the beautiful warm weather and how you all eat outside year round. It's funny but I didn't hear a single word about the hurricanes and himicanes, the torrential downpours and flooding, the tornadoes and droughts and wildfires that you guys are susceptible to at other times of the year. Us northerners are in the perfect place for global warming. At some point in the future, when everything south of the 49th parallel becomes desert, we will be in the temperate zone. We will then get our revenge by posting about what a beautiful warm Christmas we had here while you guys are all frying like bacon in the south Mwah Ha Ha! >:)

Only thing on your list to ever hit me was a hurricane. In 1989.
    Boom
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited January 2013
    Options
    craziest weather day day ever- I had a house in Appleton WI (Green Bay Area) that I was trying to sell after moving back to Austin TX. I had to go up there to check on the house because the weather got so severe I was worried. It was 20+ below for 3 weeks so I went up to make sure the place was still standing. It was January and in Austin the day I left....82 degrees. Landed in Appleton 3 hrs later. 22 below. 104 degrees difference!!!!!! Try to pack for that one.
    Dude, I know what you mean.  I used to commute for a week every 2nd or 3rd week from NOLA to Minneapolis.  Winter was brutal and you either freeze or burn up getting off the plane.

First time I went up there in the summer, I thought, well, at least I'll get a reprieve from these damn mosquitoes.   Then I learned the mosquito is the state bird of Minnesota. ;)
    Options

Sorry, I take Ron Burgundy to heart.

Scotchy, scotch, scotch
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    We have had 3 days if heat records and might hit a 4th today. Love it
    Boom
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Sorry, I take Ron Burgundy to heart. Scotchy, scotch, scotch
    me too. I've seen it at least 20 times. My dog's name is Baxter.I have problems