Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which bourbon?

IrishDevl
IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
So do I hit the Four Roses Small Batch or some Buffalo Trace? Or take a fifth of Ultimate Vodka to the head? Decisions...decisions.

Comments

• Put them all down and grab a bottle of Oban Single Malt Scotch
    www.finandflame.com

www.oldfishinglure.com
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390

Put them all down and grab a bottle of Oban Single Malt Scotch

That will be next time. Have to go out and buy it.
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501

Local party store where my daughter works had a whole barrel cased with their own logo.They also have the cask in their other location. I must of liked it. Think it was gone in a week.

Oh my older brother helped some.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• Markzzz
    Markzzz Posts: 35
    Pappy Van Winkle 20 year neat....The way God intended it.
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    I like Knob Creek and Bulleit....pretty easy on the wallet too. Pappy is good stuff too......plenty of em out there for you to try.
  • Four roses gets my vote. 100 bucks for oban is a little spendy for me.
  • Makers Mark
    A winner that never gets old
  • Makers Mark
    A winner that never gets old

Second that!
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    Cast my vote for Four Roses....package store near mi casa carries single barrel 4R made specially for their store. Great stuff.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    into (and it's almost gone - big sigh) 12 year old Aberlour double cask Highland single malt - very nice for "cheap" scotch. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Mickey - you're breaking my heart, can't stand to see something so good being so close to being over.....forever!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Try some sheep dip boyz. Not for the faint of heart but delicious

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

into (and it's almost gone - big sigh) 12 year old Aberlour double cask Highland single malt - very nice for "cheap" scotch. 

I wouldn't put cheap I parentheses. My stuff is usually 10-20 more. I will need to give that a try.
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    I have to stop at about 50 bucks on the booze(once a year). Old Sheep Deep Dip is pretty good.Love single malt scotches.Still can't figure where I aquired the the taste for them. Like bourbons and Bombay Saffire. But as a good pollack I like my beer.But I can't stand any light beer. What a waste. A nice dry red wine works also.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• How about a little Evan Williams Single Barrel 10 Year? Mighty tasty for an under $25 bottle!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    The nights I get into brown water, I usually wake up on the porch with the egg and pandora blasting. SWMBO leaves me there as punishment. So.... I bought some Woodford yesterday....
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @Chubbs-if you can find Woodford's Double Oaked (been in the market for aorund 8 months or so) it is much better (opinion only FWIW) but hard to find even in the land of Kentucky Jelly.  I prefer it to Van Winkle's 12 and 15 year old-don't spend the $$ for the 20 and up.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Forgot I had this behind my old grand dad.

So much win!
  • Bulleitt makes all better, frontier whiskey at it's finest poured over ice!!
  • for every day- Woodford (preferred) but more often Bulleit (really good for the money) special: Pappy Van Winkle but more often Jefferson's Presidential 18 Year Reserve
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DawgDays
    DawgDays Posts: 83
    edited January 2013
    For you Pappy fans out there - try the WL Weller. Same distributor. Pretty darn close, cheaper, and easier to find. It's my daily driver in an effort to save the small amount of Pappy I can get my hands on. Saw a couple people mention Bulleit. I'm not big on their bourbon but they make a darn good rye. Gonna have to take a flyer on the Woodford Double Oaked.
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    DawgDays got it right... Weller is a nice wheated bourbon. Mix the 7 year with Diet Sierra Mist or sip the 12 year neat or on the rocks. Perfect drink to sip Egg-side.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    lousubcap said:
    @Chubbs-if you can find Woodford's Double Oaked (been in the market for aorund 8 months or so) it is much better (opinion only FWIW) but hard to find even in the land of Kentucky Jelly.  I prefer it to Van Winkle's 12 and 15 year old-don't spend the $$ for the 20 and up.

Is it smoother? What is the taste like?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Really into Buffalo Trace and Bulleit Rye right now, but we go through phases.  I will probably get in a Maker's phase late this spring.  Was in a Woodford phase last year.  It's all good though
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Talisker. Basil Hayden. Tito's. Hendrix. Cuervo. Jack. The perfect speed well...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    DawgDays said:
    For you Pappy fans out there - try the WL Weller. Same distributor. Pretty darn close, cheaper, and easier to find. It's my daily driver in an effort to save the small amount of Pappy I can get my hands on. Saw a couple people mention Bulleit. I'm not big on their bourbon but they make a darn good rye. Gonna have to take a flyer on the Woodford Double Oaked.
    Drink Weller myself. I like the Makers Mark too but for the price, its hard to beat the Weller. Local store here had it for $28 for the 1.75
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Plano_JJ said:
    DawgDays said:
    Drink Weller myself. I like the Makers Mark too but for the price, its hard to beat the Weller. Local store here had it for $28 for the 1.75

Would that be Spec's? I get the 1.75 of Jack there for $29. I usually just get Jack or Turkey 101, but lately I've been liking 1835. I can get it for under $20. (This isn't my picture, I stole it somewhere online when I realized I didn't have a pic)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• cmkratt
    cmkratt Posts: 54
    edited January 2013
    Griffin said:

Would that be Spec's? I get the 1.75 of Jack there for $29. I usually just get Jack or Turkey 101, but lately I've been liking 1835. I can get it for under $20. (This isn't my picture, I stole it somewhere online when I realized I didn't have a pic)

I've seen the 1835 at Specs but haven't tried it yet...I'll have to rectify that. Props to Skiddymarker on the Aberlour 12-year old. Picked up a bottle earlier this week and am really enjoying it.