Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket

Austin_Aggie
Austin_Aggie Posts: 13
edited December 2012 in Beef
I've had my large egg for about 6 months, but this is my first attempt to really see what it can do. I've spent time getting used to higher temp cooks, but it's finally time to break out the low and slow. I know brisket has a pretty tough rep, but figured, what the heck why not go for it.

From the start I figure I have a couple strikes against me:
1) This is my first attempt
2) The only brisket that I could get my hands on for now is a 7lb select trimmed packer from HEB. I'm regretting not getting at least a 9 or 10lb.

That said, It's been fun figuring out which rub etc. I was going to begin experimenting with. I decided to go with one I found here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-920806.html

I cut @thirdeye's recipe for the dry rub in half - just enough for my cut.
I also decided to throw on a slather of yellow mustard and Worcestershire that he mentions here: http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html?m=1

I'm planning on using an inverted plate setter with drip pan and standard grid on top. The plan is to put in the brisket fat side down, leave it closed until I get an internal temp of ~190 and then check for tenderness. Going to shoot for a grid temp of 250 (using an iGrill remote thermometer), I figure it will take about 12 hours on the egg then will rest it for a couple of hours in a cooler before digging in.

Going get the grill going around 10pm and let it do it's thing overnight. Here's hoping.

Comments

• let me know if you run into any issues. I will even help one of my Aggie brethren (through clenched teeth, but Brisket brings us all together). Enjoy the cook and we'll be here if you need us. What kind of wood are you using for smoke?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I appreciate it. I'm using Royal Oak with a few Oak chunks thrown in.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167

Given you have a packer (however it's trimmed) and Cen-Tex in the on-deck circle you should be good to go...what follows are a few additional sites to check-out at your leisure

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html
    http://www.bubbatim.com/
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes.htm More than enough info for your consumption-just go til you can probe the thickest part of the flat like butter and you are home-free.  Enjoy the journey!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Austin_Aggie
    Austin_Aggie Posts: 13
    edited December 2012
    Couldn't figure out the image posting earlier, hope this works:

Dry Rub -

Slather -

• I appreciate it. I'm using Royal Oak with a few Oak chunks thrown in.
    perfect. Lou has all the good info. I honestly just make it up as I go. I've done a few though so I should be able to help if called upon.......pending bourbon consumption during cowboys/redskins and I'm well on my way. I am most certainly at the sharpest I will be all night right now.....and that ain't too sharp.
  • Do it fat up so it will self baste. It will seem to stall out around 165-170 but that is just the fat rendering. Just go for it, the Egg is forgiving.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    But even if the game goes south and the bourbon runs hot you can still get someone to the finish -line...and to the OP, when C-T says "a few" he really means hundreds.  However, not all were resounding successes...but close :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap said:
    But even if the game goes south and the bourbon runs hot you can still get someone to the finish -line...and to the OP, when C-T says "a few" he really means hundreds.  However, not all were resounding successes...but close :)>-

I've pushed a few of mine through under less than desirable personal circumstances so I may be considered some type of expert in intoxicated brisketology :))
  • seems like I knew a couple of guys that minored in that in college.

Quick question before I finish setting up the grill. Do you recommend any particular way of placing the lump?

I'm planning on starting from a clean egg and placing larger lump on the bottom first and then filling in the rest of the fire ring. I assumed I should just mix in the 3 or 4 chunks of oak throughout the lump. Thoughts?
  • seems like I knew a couple of guys that minored in that in college.

Quick question before I finish setting up the grill. Do you recommend any particular way of placing the lump?

I'm planning on starting from a clean egg and placing larger lump on the bottom first and then filling in the rest of the fire ring. I assumed I should just mix in the 3 or 4 chunks of oak throughout the lump. Thoughts?

sounds perfect
  • Alright. The brisket is on the grill and have the temp at grill level hovering around 260. We'll see how it goes.

After transferring the brisket from the pan to the grill, I've had second thoughts about using this particular slather or at least only putting it on right before my cook. It seems to have washed off some of the rub.  I don't know, could have been the juices that collected in the pan as well. Is there any benefit to letting the rub and/or slather sit on the brisket for an extended period of time before slapping it on the grill?

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    After trying it just about every way and reading a zillion opinions, I've decided the easiest method is starting your egg, then pull out the brisket or butt, take it out of the packaging, cover with rub, then throw it on.  No mustard, no overnight seasoning, no letting it warm up.  All that makes no noticeable difference and it takes more work.  Injecting can make a difference if you want to try that. 
  • 13hrs in to the cook and the brisket has hit 190. Looking good, but still not buttter tender with the probe and the fork test still had a good bit of resistance. Will wait until 200 to check again i guess.

• pulled it off the grill after 14.5hrs at 205. Looks good, probe was like butter, resting in a cooler for the next two hrs. perfect timing for dinner. hope it tastes as good as it looks. Forgot to separate the point for burnt ends before stowing it away in the cooler. Will have to do that next time.

Tweak for next time would be to rig it up so the grid is higher off the drip pan. The grease kept the underside wet and I lost a good bit of crust pulling it off the grid. Guess I finally have an excuse to get an AR.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll post with the final verdict after it's cut.

• Matt20971
    Matt20971 Posts: 20
    edited December 2012
    Austin, what app and temp controller are you using?

• AA- we need to work on that bark. Let me know when you do your next brisket
  • Matt20971 said:
    Austin, what app and temp controller are you using?

using an iGrill - can get it from apple store, at&t (random), and several other locations. It works well with the free app by the same name/co. uses bluetooth to connect to the app. has a pretty decent range in my house.
    agreed. I'll take all the help I can get. About to pull it out of the cooler now and carve it up.

prob won't be too long before I do another. got the itch now.
  • Austin Aggie - That's got to be a tough hometown.  Anyway, your plan sounded great.  The more rub you use, the more bark.  Use it liberally.  Enjoy.  Let us know how it turned out.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• Verdict - wasn't amazing...good, edible, but not great. The cook was fun though and I look forward to doing many more.

To Improve:
    • SALTY, don't know if that was the rub (using dry rub as well as a mustard/worcestershire slather) or something else in the cook.
    • Bark wasn't thick or crunchy except for the ends.
    • Was pretty dry throughout most of the cut except the point.
      • I don't know if this was due to letting it rest too long or if it was a problem with the cook - had it on for 14hrs at avg of 260. The temp did drift up to around 270 for the last few hours from opening to check for tenderness.

agreed. I'll take all the help I can get. About to pull it out of the cooler now and carve it up.

prob won't be too long before I do another. got the itch now.

we'll get you there. Won't take but a few cooks. What part of town are you in? I'll even come over and set you up if you wanna. I work for beer.
  • Beer I've got, experience with brisket, I don't. Sounds like a fair trade. I'm up in N. Austin. I'll let you know next time I consider revisiting the brisket. Prob won't be too long. Appreciate the help.
  • btw, where do you usually get your packers in Austin?
  • btw, where do you usually get your packers in Austin?

Cool- I live out in Lakeway. I get my packers at Whole Foods or Central Market. They are pricey but the best I've found for usre. HEB's "All Natural Choice" packers are awesome but they only have select 90% of the time. You can also find them at Sam's or Costco although I've found Costco to be more reliable than Sam's for better choice briskets. The Meat House in Westlake also has awesome briskets but they are even higher than Whole Foods and CM. Anything higher than those 2 I consider to be robbery. I really like Whole Foods because they tend to be smaller (like 10 lbs average) and they come out perfect every time. It's the perfect amount of beisket for my family and I don't eat leftover brisket a lot. Any time I'm having company over, I always go Whole Foods.