Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brine?Yep. Meat Glue?Yep. Sous Vide?Yep. Torch? Yep. Awesome? Oh @#!*% yes.TFJ killed it tonight

The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
edited December 2012 in EggHead Forum
abort mission until I get pics right. Damnit.
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited December 2012
    nm
  • I'll fix the pics ASAP. Damnit. They are good too.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    whoop whoop  crank that amp to 11!
    edited December 2012
    NM

Damnit. can't get images on my laptop to work..

stay tuned

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited December 2012
    X
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited December 2012
    Cen, from the laptop, insert "Direct" link into the photo tool's address bar. From your iPhone, paste the HTML code into the body of your message.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited December 2012
    Try again: OK- So I posted a few weeks ago about some yard bird that I had in LA at Drago Centro. It was amazing but I sniffed out how they did it right on the spot and vowed to try it. TFJ was so fired up about it that she took the lead and WOW am I glad she did! Here's the deets: I brined 3 bone in, skin on chicken breasts for 3 hrs in the most basic brine (water, salt, sugar). Once out of the brine, we boned and skinned the 3 breasts. We then scraped all the skin until almost translucent and set aside. Then we meat glued 2 of those boneless skinless breast together and glued the skin back on those 2 breasts (took all 3 skins) and formed it into a sphere (details below with the pics). We then cooked Sous Vide for 6 hours. Once out of the SV, we seared with a torch to brown the skin. It was served with TFJ's garlic mashers, roasted Brussels sprouts and finished with TFJ's "All Day Marsala Demi Glace". This project answered a ton of questions for me about: Meat Glue (it's awesome) Sous Vide (absolutely amazing when used in the right spots) Chicken skin (if you want perfect bite through skin, scrape it and meat glue back on the bird....and yes, it's worth it for special meals). This was so fun and it was every bit as good as the food I had at one of the best restaurants in LA. Tons of work, but it's so cool to know that we can make food on par with the big boys from time to time. Good food (and bourbon) night at Casa CenTex. Scraped skin: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Here is all the "snot" once you scrape. I'm telling you, once you get all this stuff off the back of the skin, it's like a little "chip" once crisped up. Lot of work but I now totally get why comp BBQ teams take the time to do it. I know it's gross but I posted to show why it helps texture to scrape for that "one bite, no pull" chicken skin. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Boned, skinned breasts sitting skin side DOWN: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Meat glue added: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Breasts placed together inverted so the fat part of one is bonded to the skinny part of the other. This creates a very uniform piece of yard bird. This helps it all to cook perfectly uniform so you have no waste from dried out tail pieces etc. There is also meat glue on the outside of this piece for the next step: to reattach the skin Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Now TFJ wrapped these 2 breast pieces with the scraped skin from all 3 breasts so the skin wrapped all the way around both glued breasts. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos She then wrapped them in plastic wrap to form a sphere and allow the meat glue to do it's thang (bond the breasts and bond the skin to the breasts). Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos We then put in the freezer until firm so we could vac seal for the SV without deforming the sphere. You can drop the plastic wrap sphere directly in the SV but we had store bought wrap and it was not wide enough to do it one piece so we didn't trust it. Commercial wrap is much wider and you could do it that way if you decide you want to get weird with food like we do :)Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Once out of the SV we (she) seared with a torch to crisp up the skin Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos And plated with Mashers, "All Day Marsala Demi", and Brussels Sprouts: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Moral of the story: Do not mess with TFJ when she gets mad at something. I brined the bird and then was told to sit my @#!*% down and watch the magic happen. I did and was rewarded with one of the best home cooked meals I've ever had. Centex Out
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited December 2012
    cazzy said:
    Cen, from the laptop, insert "Direct" link into the photo tool's address bar. From your iPhone, paste the HTML code into the body of your message.
    got it now.....geez. I'll figure it our one day

• nolaegghead
    Awesome.  I remember you talking about duplicating this earlier.  I see a lot of potential crazy gor-met sh*t with these techniques - like glue chicken to pork tenderloin so it forms a yin-yang when you slice it.  Again - impressive.  whoop! whoop! (siren blast!)
    Amazing job! What to try this when I grow up!
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    impressive!  love me some marsala based sauces.  i'm sure this is outstanding

• Here is the original in LA Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • nolaegghead
    That's the pic I remember.
  • Wow.  That looks fantastic!  Yours looks better than the restaurant's.  Gotta have TFKh look at this. I told her about meat glue (from your previous thread) and she was simultaneously grossed out and intrigued. Thanks for experimenting and sharing with us. 
  • Wow.  That looks fantastic!  Yours looks better than the restaurant's.  Gotta have TFKh look at this. I told her about meat glue (from your previous thread) and she was simultaneously grossed out and intrigued. Thanks for experimenting and sharing with us. 

Thanks. Nothing gross about meat glue. It's running through your veins and it's in every plant you consume also. If you have ever eaten deli meat, California rolls, chicken nuggets, hot dogs, or countless other foods you have eaten, you've had plenty of meat glue. It is 100% natural, tasteless, odorless, and fun to play with. Trust me, we all eat transglutaminase (meat glue) most every day of our lives.
  • Holy.  Crap.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @C-T-Hell of a cooking adventure-congrats on being one with TFJ in the kitchen until "recognizing the right asnwer when told"...Looks great! 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Wow - Inspiration in so many ways!!!  Thanks for the step by step.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

Thanks. Nothing gross about meat glue. It's running through your veins and it's in every plant you consume also. If you have ever eaten deli meat, California rolls, chicken nuggets, hot dogs, or countless other foods you have eaten, you've had plenty of meat glue. It is 100% natural, tasteless, odorless, and fun to play with. Trust me, we all eat transglutaminase (meat glue) most every day of our lives.
    We were asking ourselves this question just last month, "how do they make deli meat?" and then came your answer.  Interesting. And thank you.

We were asking ourselves this question just last month, "how do they make deli meat?" and then came your answer.  Interesting. And thank you.

Even the "good" deli meat like boars head etc are whole muscles (like turkey breast) put in a mold with meat glue and cooked. There are no 50lb turkeys running around with perfectly football shaped breasts! Not something I would cook with every day but fun every once in a while.
  • Thanks! Fun to do
  • Awesome.  I remember you talking about duplicating this earlier.  I see a lot of potential crazy gor-met sh*t with these techniques - like glue chicken to pork tenderloin so it forms a yin-yang when you slice it.  Again - impressive.  whoop! whoop! (siren blast!)
    Nola......you could be talking about a tur-ducken filet!   I gotta get some of that glue.
  • Awesome.  I remember you talking about duplicating this earlier.  I see a lot of potential crazy gor-met sh*t with these techniques - like glue chicken to pork tenderloin so it forms a yin-yang when you slice it.  Again - impressive.  whoop! whoop! (siren blast!)
    Nola......you could be talking about a tur-ducken filet!   I gotta get some of that glue.

http://www.modernistpantry.com/moo-gloo-rm-transglutaminase.html
  • cazzy said:

Check your inbox. I owe you a care package and h ave plenty of me
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136

cazzy said:

Check your inbox.

I owe you a care package and h ave plenty of me

Got it! Good looking out...very appreciated! :)
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Old post but I'm bumping because I want to do this for a bunch of people this weekend. No sous vide, so what would the preferred method be? raised direct or indirect? I'm thinking it'll be a pretty thick piece of meat but not so thick that a raised direct cook around 375* wouldn't work. Any input would be appreciated. 
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • nolaegghead
    Without sous vide, I'd smoke it low and slow until around 145F internal.  Maybe at 225-250 dome with some cherry or peach.  I'd pull it off and let it cool down for 15 minutes uncovered, then hit it with a creme brulee torch (which is pretty much just a regular propane or butane torch) to crisp up the skin.  Voila.  Masterpiece.

If you're doing a lot of them, I'd do the crisping on a wire rack on the top shelf of your oven set to broil on high. Constantly turn them. The smoke taste will be there from the low n slow, the crisp at the end will keep it crispy when you serve without overcooking.
    How long does it take the meat glue to set?
    Pentwater, MI
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Trying this now. Seasoned with Raging River after gluing the skin back on. I didn't brine, last minute decision this morning to try it.

imageimageimageimageimage
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    CT, two words. Thank You.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker