Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just got Hi-Q grate - any good uses for old CI grate?

Just upgraded to a Hi-q after my CI grate kept clogging. Any good uses for my old CI grate (eg. clean and use as small grid for baking on egg, etc)?

Comments

• Seriously, though, has anyone tried turning CI grate into anything of use?
  • Frisbee Golf - Assassin version, lol.

I would hold on to it.  Never know when you might need it again for the Egg for some reason. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I use it as a gravity monitor.  It's sitting on the floor in my shop.  If I ever see it floating above the ground, I'll know there's a problem with the Earth's gravity, and it's probably end-of-days.  :D

Here's what it can be used for - lamp base, discus, steak weight, weight for curing salmon, drain cover...
    edited December 2012
    If you want you can use it for grilling and pizza. The High-Que is great for low and slows, does not "clog" like the OEM grate. The CI grate worked just fine for high temp cooks. I often throw my BGE grate back in if I'm doing pizza. I figure the HQ has only so many burns, so maybe I can get a few more years out of it...
    Of course you could always use it as Nola suggests, his main use is as a drain cover, ground water in NO is anything below the roof line...
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    I am in the major minority here, expect flame posts to follow...

I bought the High-Que for both my small and large and used them for a few months, several cooks per week.

I went back to the original grates and am very satisfied.

I experienced going through lump much faster and found myself recycling all of the small pieces that were falling through the grates.

Just my 2 cents... 
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,431
    edited December 2012
    Skiddymarker said: If you want you can use it for grilling and pizza. The High-Que is great for low and slows, does not "clog" like the OEM grate. The CI grate worked just fine for high temp cooks. I often throw my BGE grate back in if I'm doing pizza. I figure the HQ has only so many burns, so maybe I can get a few more years out of it....  

I've had the opposite experience.  I've been able to reach "pizza" temps much easier with the Hi-Q.  If my Hi-Q ever does "burn out", I'll just buy another one (don't expect that to happen in my lifetime).  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• @Botch - I agree the HQ will work very well for high temp cooks (it works for everything), as will the OME CI. I think the key word was easier. I have a medium BGE. For low and slows using RO (large bags) with the OME CI I was continually using a wiggle rod. With the HQ it just works, no wiggle rod needed. I guess that's what's good about this forum, we all have different experiences that work for us and that's good. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    New BGD owner , what is a Hi-Q grate? I have the stainless one the grill came with and I bought the CI ( cast iron ) one which I love. But don't know what the Hi- Q grate is?
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • Alton said:
    New BGD owner , what is a Hi-Q grate? I have the stainless one the grill came with and I bought the CI ( cast iron ) one which I love. But don't know what the Hi- Q grate is?
    You have a SS GRID not a GRATE. The grate is the thing the lump sits on, the grid is the thing the food sits on. You bought a CI grid, great for searing grid lines on your food. High-Que makes a SS grate that improves air flow over the CI OME grate. It sits in the bottom of the fire box. 
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    @skiddymaker thanks for the clearification. I was way confused.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    hapster said:
    smbishop said:
    I am in the major minority here, expect flame posts to follow...

I bought the High-Que for both my small and large and used them for a few months, several cooks per week.

I went back to the original grates and am very satisfied.

I experienced going through lump much faster and found myself recycling all of the small pieces that were falling through the grates.

Just my 2 cents... 
    Really? I agree that I'm going thru lump at a slightly faster pace; but when I clean out the ash, that's all I'm taking out, there are no more little pebble sized pieces, everything is burned. Overall, I would say it's a more efficient use of lump even if it is a little faster...
    That was my experience,  I set up a screen and would reuse all of the smaller bits..  Maybe just my style of cooking...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

In my experiences I tend to agree with smbishop, especially with the small egg.  I know some have had issues getting their small egg up to temps with the OEM CI.....not here.  Seems that you have to clean the small more frequently with the HQ.  For a low-and-slow indirect the HQ would be preferred.  I also switched back to OEM for the small.  

In the large, I've had a couple of fires burn out when using Wicked lump and OEM CI.  No issues with the HQ in the large.  A few small pieces of lump are insignificant for a little airflow insurance. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."