Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Member, New Owner

Just picked up my first BGE. While driving home with it, I received an e-mail notifying me that Egghead membership had been approved (I registered on Christmas Day). So, we have it assembled and ready to try it out (once we decide what to cook). As far as what we got, you can see the nest and egg mates in the photo. I also got a grate gripper, an ash tool, an electric charcoal starter and a bag of BGE lump. Tomorrow, I should receive my order from the Ceramic Grill Store (Adjustable Rig Combo w/ Woo2). I think that's a good starting point, but I have a feeling it's only the beginning. Thinking cast iron grate, wok, thermapen, etc. Pretty much what everyone wants. Anyway, only by reading the helpful posts on this forum for a couple of weeks did I know where to start. Thanks to everyone. I guess I better fire up the egg and cook something. If anyone has suggestions for an easy first cook, don't be shy.

Comments

• New member, new owner as well. Good luck. Let us know what you cook first. My current dilemma is deciding what to cook first!
    Have fun!
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Welcome aboard!!! You have just entered a cult.I feel sure you will enjoy every aspect of owning your egg.It is very addictive and can be quite expensive but, what the he** I love it!
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Here's a great intro site and check out the spatchcock recipe you will find there-best way to cook chix I have run across. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm  Welcome!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Welcome aboard. Glad to have you.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • brownbw
    brownbw Posts: 154
    Good info on here. People are extremely helpful! I'd grill something like a nice thick steak to celebrate. Look up Trex or Xert steaks on here. Then later try some ribs (search for carwashmike ribs), then smoke a butt. Then go crazy with pizza, fish, the list goes on and on...
    Opelika, AL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Welcome - good timing on the account, right?

Fire it up an hour before you want to throw your food on and play with holding it at low, medium and high temperatures (in that order). 

Suggestion on a first cook -  this might sound a little weird, but it's easy and foolproof unless you get drunk and forget you're cooking something.   Buy some nice sirloin, cut it into squares, marinate it with something - worcestershire, salt, pepper, soy, Italian dressing, whatever.  Also cut and add some veggies to a marinade - onions, mushrooms, bell peppers, brussle sprouts, etc.   I skewer the meat by itself and the veggies separately.  Throw 'em on direct, cook til they look done.  Do a little sear at some point.  They're delicious. 
    Welcome - Just pick something - steak, chicken, burgers - anything - you will love it!!!  Did your new BGE come with the high temp gasket?

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

I'm doing chili in a dutch oven - smoking with cherry wood tonight.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• bmac55
    bmac55 Posts: 20
    edited December 2012
    Thanks for the welcome and suggestions. How would I know what kind of gasket I got? The Egg was new, in the box and was the last one in the warehouse (he said he had more to unload from a truck). But, I don't know how long it had been sitting back there on the pallet.
  • bmac55 said:
    Thanks for the welcome and suggestions. How would I know what kind of gasket I got? The Egg was new, in the box and was the last one in the warehouse (he said he had more to unload from a truck). But, I don't know how long it had been sitting back there on the pallet.
    Welcome. Ask the dealer. If it has been sitting it may be the old wool gasket, it will fry in no time. The newer eggs, most shipped from med 2012 (I think) are BGE high temp Nomex. The reason @dlk7 mentioned it is you can get a gasket in the first year under warranty, if it is an old one, you will need it for sure, if a newer one you might need it, Just being helpful. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    You could post a picture of it.  I'd just not worry about it - don't let it hold you back from cooking the way you want to cook.  If it fries, BGE will send you a replacement, and that one will be Nomex.
    These were taken with a phone. Is the quality of the picture sufficient to tell what kind of gasket material it is!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Based on nothing but the pics...I would say "virgin" :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    That looks like Nomex to me. 
    edited December 2012
    You have the latest and greatest gasket. It's a great gasket, I have it on mine. I have done several 750 degree steak cooks, gasket has performed flawlessly! The old gaskets they put on we're a darker gray and they were junk!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I've used that gasket for a prophylactic...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • As a suggestion for a first cook, I can highly recommend the chili crusted pork tenderloin recipe I posted earlier today. Prep is incredibly easy, the cook time is short, and I'd bet the end result is pretty robust against some fluctuations in the dome temperature. Taste is outstanding.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • My suggestion I always give to new owners is to let it heat up for a while before putting your meat on. Tis let's the dome heat up and is easier to control your temp. Secondly, it gives time for all the bad smoke to burn off. I learned from experience that if you put the meat on too soon it absorbs some of the acrid smoke and affects the flavor. You will love it and looking forward to seeing pics of that first cook.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Another piece of advice is forget about 'how long does it take to cook a xxxxxx'. Cook to temp, not time.
    tyenic1 Posts: 150
    @Tjcoley although that's true, I find it helpful to get a round a bout guess as to the time it takes so I can plan a little better.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    @tyenic1. Totally agree. However when the range is 1 to 1.5 hours per pound for a 10 pound butt, the 5 hour window doesn't do much good. I guess the better advice is plan to finish early and FTC.
  • Cook anything with a bacon weave if you want to impress people. It looks difficult but is really easy. The bacon takes on a great flavor from the smoke. And you have options. You can put the weave on lasagna, wrap meatloaf, make a fattie/bacon explosion. Good luck!
  • tyenic1
    tyenic1 Posts: 150
    @Tjcoley I see what your saying, sorry.