Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bon voyage daisy wheel

BigGreenBamaGriller
BigGreenBamaGriller Posts: 629
edited December 2012 in EggHead Forum
I just got a new small egg for Christmas. I noticed that the daisy wheel doesn't sit all the way down on top like on my XL. I am currently cooking some feta stuffed burgers, and while lifting the top a minute ago the DW flipped off (thankfully into the grass). Is the tight fit normal? Does anyone have a fix?

Thanks,

Chris
Killen, AL (The Shoals)
XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs

Comments

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    I have the same problem cept mine hit the concrete & broke. Bad design IMHO. I was told to try a bead of silicone on the chiminey for some traction but I just take it off when I open it now.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• gasket material either on the chimney or lined inside of DW is said to work...haven't tried either.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I open the lid slowly and the DW stays on.  Good habit to get into in case I forget to remove the rain cap before opening the egg for set-up.  That fits lose and will go flying. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • sola
    sola Posts: 118
    I put a ring of gasket material on the chimney & have no issues
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited December 2012

Another thought: Do not use the DW. Have had 4 Eggs over 6 years and only used it the first year. You can do 100% adj from the bottom alone so why?

OK in the very, very few times I go less than 275 I pulled it out. But 300 is my low on 95% of my cooks and you just don't need it (ok, I don't need it).

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mick,

I'm curious, what do you use on the top of the egg if not the daisy wheel?
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The top of Micky's egg is commando.
    So is his bottom. Isn't that how you roll with kilts?
  • Mickey
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    that was hilarious

Mick,

I'm curious, what do you use on the top of the egg if not the daisy wheel?
    nolaegghead said it all. I do use the ceramic to put out the egg after cooking. Just need one. You can not use the bottom and just use the daisy wheel but that seems harder for me to do.

• Interesting. I figured without the daisy wheel on top, the temp would climb uncontrollably. I'll give it a shot.

Nola - quote from your article: "Sending children up chimneys is traditional too, but we don't do it now and the same should apply to wearing nothing under a kilt."

What's wrong with these people?
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
  • nolaegghead
    You get a little more stable temp control using both when it's windy, but you can totally control the egg using either damper by itself.  As a matter of fact, you can put out the fire just by closing the bottom damper or leaving the bottom open and putting the cap on top.  Takes a little longer, but it works.

Kilts - you got the whole spectrum of people out there, all with opinions.  I say, what's going on in the undercarriage is nobody's business but the guy wearing it.  I don't think it'd be appropriate to go kilt commando in a day care center or on a windy day in public, but that's just me thinking of other people.
    You get a little more stable temp control using both when it's windy, but you can totally control the egg using either damper by itself.  As a matter of fact, you can put out the fire just by closing the bottom damper or leaving the bottom open and putting the cap on top.  Takes a little longer, but it works.

Kilts - you got the whole spectrum of people out there, all with opinions.  I say, what's going on in the undercarriage is nobody's business but the guy wearing it.  I don't think it'd be appropriate to go kilt commando in a day care center or on a windy day in public, but that's just me thinking of other people.

You are bringing your kilt to the Salado EggFest March 16, correct. Should have a couple dozen in kilts this year.

• nolaegghead
    I need to get a kilt first, but that's the plan.  ;)
    edited December 2012
    cherokeer said:
    I used a dremmel to work down the inside of the daisy wheel . Now it fits just like the ones on my larges. Never falls off no matter what.
    Great fix. 
    Interesting. Just like the gaskets we now get instead of the crap wool originals or maybe the "soft tabs" now on the lower vent to avoid someone slicing a finger, BGE will address the fact you cannot raise the dome on many small eggs without the DFMT flying off, eventually. Pity users have to come up with fixes. 
    Although Mickey says he doesn't use the DFMT for temp control, many don't use the lower vent, they use the DFMT only - that's why it has such nice easy to adjust petals in the daisy. 
    One thing is for sure - Dumb design. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I need to get a kilt first, but that's the plan.  ;)
    Here's your tartan....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    I need to get a kilt first, but that's the plan.  ;)
    Here's your tartan....
    Sweet - thanks skiddy.  I was thinking more about a fleur de lis pattern, but I might go traditional.  My dad is half Ó hÓgáin - Irish (Hogan) - bit of providence there.  Might just get creative and get a Seattle grunge tartan - maybe in the vein of Kurt Cobain. ;)
    I used a dremmel to work down the inside of the daisy wheel . Now it fits just like the ones on my larges. Never falls off no matter what

i have the same problem with my small...how much material did you have to take off the bottom edge to make a good fit?  how high up from the bottom edge did you cut the wheel when taking off the material?  do you need to apply high temp black paint to keep it from rusting??

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC