Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide question

Options
So set the machine up at 125 degrees this morning, chucked in some steaks and left. SWMBO called and tells me the water temp is at 87 degrees 5 hours later.A) ..Do I chuck out the steaks .

B) do I restart machine and try again
C) do I fire up the grill and cook them.

Any thought?
Lynnwood WA

Comments

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    double said:

So set the machine up at 125 degrees this morning, chucked in some steaks and left. SWMBO called and tells me the water temp is at 87 degrees 5 hours later.A) ..Do I chuck out the steaks .

B) do I restart machine and try again
    C) do I fire up the grill and cook them.

Any thought?

A) NO, are you insane? Nothing wrong with them
    B) Depends on how hungry you are - if can wait then do sous vide if that is what you want and no need to eat anytime soon
    C) See B) above.
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    @irishdvl wouldn't be the first time my sanity was questioned.

No in a rush and the manufacturer emailed back saying they are sending me a new unit but to try a reset so I am going to give that a bash.

Thx
    Lynnwood WA
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    double said:

No in a rush and the manufacturer emailed back saying they are sending me a new unit but to try a reset so I am going to give that a bash.

Thx

All good baby, good luck and do not throw out those steaks.
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    double said:

Thx

All good baby, good luck and do not throw out those steaks.
  • BlueOvalBruin
    Options
    You're probably fine, but for longer times (3+ hours) you might want to be at a higher temp like 131degF (130 is min) so you're actually pasteurizing the meat rather than promoting growth of microbes.  Beef at 131degF is still an excellent medium rare and not nearly overcooked.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    87F is right in the middle of the "danger zone" - Not knowing how long it was there, I would not take a chance...  Especially if the food was there for several hours.

Options
    paqman said:

87F is right in the middle of the "danger zone" - Not knowing how long it was there, I would not take a chance...  Especially if the food was there for several hours.

No issue. Would take days for a problem.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options

Options
    paqman said:
    A wanker. No issue, get into it.
  • double
    Options
    My Logic leave it at 132 for 2 1/2 hrs and sear and eat. Won't give to the kids but wife and I will try it.
    Lynnwood WA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    double said:

My Logic leave it at 132 for 2 1/2 hrs and sear and eat. Won't give to the kids but wife and I will try it.

That's horrible! Everyone knows you're supposed to have your neighbors be your guinea pigs. :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • double
    Options
    My neighbor provides me with fresh halibut, oysters, crab and Salmon so I dare not do that!
    Lynnwood WA
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    double said:

My neighbor provides me with fresh halibut, oysters, crab and Salmon so I dare not do that!

You sure it is fresh? Perhaps you are his fish guinea pig????
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Bacteria basically stops partying, humping and dividing around 131F.  I'll sous vide lower than that, but not for too long.  Doesn't take much time to get the whole thang up to that temp internally, and you're not breaking down collagen and connective tissue at those low temps so there's really no need to go much longer than what it takes to get the internal to your set point.
    Options
    Haha it's fresh he rebuilds a lot of the Alaskan fishing boats.
    Lynnwood WA
  • nolaegghead
    Options

double said:
    Hey, lookie here!  A Halibut stuck under the bilge pump!  Double's gonna LOVE this! ;)

double said:
    Hey, lookie here!  A Halibut stuck under the bilge pump!  Double's gonna LOVE this! ;)

looks like a couple didn't make it out of the holding tanks last week. Hell, Double will eat them. he eats anything :))
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • double
    Options
    So Diesel marinade isn't a real thing crap what I worried about these steaks for... The Sous Vide conked out again so fail... On a good note their customer service is awesome new one already in the mail no questions asked.
    Lynnwood WA
  • nolaegghead
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Good to hear....customer service is where companies make it or fail trying. 

"Diesel marinade" - sounds like a drink at a Guy Fieri joint :D
    Options
    FULL THROTTLE!
    Options

Good to hear....customer service is where companies make it or fail trying. 

"Diesel marinade" - sounds like a drink at a Guy Fieri joint :D

Haha - cant understand why he got such poor ratings.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I KNEW the devil would chime in on his favorite celebrity chef!  Rock on, and I hope you beat the Sabin out of Bama.  (normally I root for any SEC team, with that exception - I was at last years BCS championship game, what a downer).
    Options

I KNEW the devil would chime in on his favorite celebrity chef!  Rock on, and I hope you beat the Sabin out of Bama.  (normally I root for any SEC team, with that exception - I was at last years BCS championship game, what a downer).

Baiting the nutty Irishman.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    IrishDevl said:
    Baiting the nutty Irishman.

fish on!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX