Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Belly + Baby Back Ribs Sous Vide

paqman
paqman Posts: 4,660
edited December 2012 in Pork
Pork Belly was rubbed with Dizzy Pig Jamaican Firewalk - one pack will be in the water bath for 30+ hours, the other 55+ hours
Ribs were rubbed with Dizzy Dust - will be in the water bath for 30+ hours

In the water bath @ 140F since 9h30am

I plan to sear all sides of the pork belly on the egg in a cast iron pan.

One of the rack of ribs will be finished on the egg for diner tomorrow.  I added liquid smoke to the other and I will reheat it it for a quick weeknight diner.

imageimage

Comments

• Makin up some caesars there man?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• paqman
    Yes sir!  And they were well deserved.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• paqman
    Ribs after 31 hours - Going on the egg for 15-20 minutes

• paqman
    don't go past 36 on the belly. Mine was mushy
    What was your temp?

What was your temp?

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • paqman
    edited December 2012
    Belly = out after 32 hours

Thanks for the advice, the texture is perfect.

imageimage

• paqman
    nice paq! How was it?
    Texture + look = Perfect
    Jamaican firewalk = Winner

The crispy layer on the skin was too thin.  I was expecting that a lot of fat would render; not at all so it was a bit too fatty for my taste.  We will sizzle the remaining cubes in duck or bacon fat tomorrow.  A coworker told me that deep frying was the way to go...

Overall, the taste was great but it was just too fat for me.

• paqman
    I cubed and pan seared the belly leftovers from yesterday.  I then sprinkled with fleur de sel.

I have to say that it is much better than yesterday.  The result was crispy little bite size tasty cubes with a tender moist interior.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I bet those would make excellent cracklings. 

We get the brass pass and go to Jazz fest each year...yep, every day.  Jazz Fest is pretty much Christmas for SWMBO.  Anyway, they have a few excellent food sections and one does nothing but fry up cracklin's in a giant pot.  You get a small paper bag with hot cracklins, and they're heaven.  Of course, you get about half you RDA of calories and need an angioplasty the next day, but man are they special.
    I braise it at around 350F with perviously browned vegetables. Then I let the belly sit out while I make a bourbon-pepper corn glaze. I then put the belly back in uncovered at 350F with the glaze on top for about 15 minutes. Add the perviously cooked vegetables and lay the belly with the glaze on top. OMG! This is a killer dish, but very rich. 

I never make my own bacon anymore, because I can buy pretty good bacon. I use my bellies for making my pancetta and the belly recipe above. 

Photo is of the two Berks I brought home last month from my butchers. I render my their fat and use it for everything from frying eggs to making pie crusts. Because they are raised on pasture and hardwood forests their fat has the good cholesterol in it. 
  • nolaegghead
    @KamadoMan -  A neighbor just gave me a 11.6 pound belly from a Duroc.  I don't know anything about the breed, but it's what the restaurant buys for it's belly, and it's a 5 star place, so I assume it's good.  So you think it's a waste to make bacon with a good quality belly?

@KamadoMan -  A neighbor just gave me a 11.6 pound belly from a Duroc.  I don't know anything about the breed, but it's what the restaurant buys for it's belly, and it's a 5 star place, so I assume it's good.  So you think it's a waste to make bacon with a good quality belly?

How can bacon be bad. Maybe divide it into a few pieces do a couple pounds bacon. Couple pounds panchetta, and just cook some up like centex and paqman did. That's what I would do
  • nolaegghead
    yeah, you right.
    paqman said:
    nice paq! How was it?
    Texture + look = Perfect

The crispy layer on the skin was too thin.  I was expecting that a lot of fat would render; not at all so it was a bit too fatty for my taste.  We will sizzle the remaining cubes in duck or bacon fat tomorrow.  A coworker told me that deep frying was the way to go...

If you scored the fat it might render more.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • paqman
    billyray said:
    paqman said:
    nice paq! How was it?
    Texture + look = Perfect

If you scored the fat it might render more.
    I punctured the skin several times with the tip of a debonning knife but the skin was gelatinous from being in the water bath for so long.  When I seared it, almost no fat rendered and the puncture were not apparent at all.  I wass searing it as one big piece.  The key to success was to slice it in smaller cubes and then sear all sides of the cubes.  I did not add more fat.

Sorta like big lardons.
    Sorta like big lardons.

Yep but the texture is a bit different - melt in the mouth tender

Ah, so you didn't crisp the outside, just added some color and flavor.
    All the sides were crispy but the interior was melt in the mouth tender.  I find that lardons are sometime chewy.

My bad, I forgot you basically tenderized the whole thing in the SV bath.  Lardons are basically cooked from raw pancetta.