Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Fever

2»

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    edited December 2012
    you can hear her emotion in that cowbell.  awesome
  • Maybe should have put this under the DIY thread, but whatever. I took a shot on the DorkFoods DSV controller from Amazon for $99. I had everything else I needed. Still playing with it, holds temp very well, matches thermapen within 0.2 degrees. Don't seem to have a circulation problem, maybe because of the large volume. Found that stainless steel plate rack on clearance. If fits perfectly inside the fryer basket up or down when I have to deal with steam pockets on hotter cooks. For you DIYers I initially used the foil on the probe cord to protect it from the lid, but I found it to be more useful to position the probe in the water bath so it isn't touching the food or the side. This rig will suffice for now and the price was right, but I definitely see the Poly Science rig in my future. It's more portable. image
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710

Sous Vide controller from Thermo mart delivers today. $59.00 Controls a Rice Cooker or crock pot. (I've got one of those bigger crock pots so should work nicely). It is very small, just a controller that the crock pot plugs into. (I'm out of kitchen space too). It should do me just fine for what I need it for.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    I got the Sous Vide Supreme "Chef" model on sale for $449... I called SVS customer service to see  what the difference was between the "Chef" and the regular SVS... They are outwardly identical.  The rep. told me that the wiring and heating element was beefier on the "Chef" model... in order to get UL and NSF certification for commercial use.  Unfortunately, the sale ended and the "Chef" model is now a couple hundred more than the regular SVS.  

I use my SVS on the kitchen countertop and carry it to the sink to dump it out... Not too heavy for me but a person could use a large pitcher to remove most of the water if weight were an issue.  
  • My sous vide setup - gets a lot of use and we love it...

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    cazzy said:
    OK guys, do you think I should return my unopened Sous Vide Supreme Pro?  There is no restocking fee and the unit Nola linked is only $50 more.  Thoughts?
    yes. The circulator is better (and i have the SVS). For only $50 I wouldn't give it a second thought
    Okay, just got the PolyScience Chef Series for $562 shipped.  Doesn't come with the carrying case or the recipe book, but it is new and the price is right.  

@nolaegghead what are you using for a container?  A polycarbonate container?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I use a 10 quart pot and a 40 quart cooler.  Just stuff I had.  Pretty much covers all my needs.
    I use a 10 quart pot and a 40 quart cooler.  Just stuff I had.  Pretty much covers all my needs.
    Didn't you Sous Vide your bird for Thanksgiving?  Did you part it up?  How was it?
  • nolaegghead
    Dude.  It was awesome.  I did butcher it.  I did a practice bird about a week before.  Learned a few things, but it came out great too. 

Seared with coffee rub cut it up and plated it nicely.  Now there are a few family members that want to get into SV.   Oh, I brined first.

Dude.  It was awesome.  I did butcher it.  I did a practice bird about a week before.  Learned a few things, but it came out great too. 

Seared with coffee rub cut it up and plated it nicely.  Now there are a few family members that want to get into SV.   Oh, I brined first.

Great to hear...I think the volume capabilities of the PS Chef unit is what flipped me. Excited to get going...waited this long so don't mind having to wait some more even though I have a SVS in my living room.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:
    OK guys, do you think I should return my unopened Sous Vide Supreme Pro?  There is no restocking fee and the unit Nola linked is only $50 more.  Thoughts?
    yes. The circulator is better (and i have the SVS). For only $50 I wouldn't give it a second thought
    Okay, just got the PolyScience Chef Series for $562 shipped.  Doesn't come with the carrying case or the recipe book, but it is new and the price is right.  

Cazzy;

There have been 11 carrying cases that have sold on eBay since early Nov. for between $25-$40. Currently there aren't any listed, but check under Polyscience sous vide bag from time to time. I transport mind back and forth between homes and it's very handy. The cook book in nothing special.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • cazzy
    billyray said:

cazzy said:

cazzy said:

Cazzy;

There have been 11 carrying cases that have sold on eBay since early Nov. for between $25-$40. Currently there aren't any listed, but check under Polyscience sous vide bag from time to time. I transport mind back and forth between homes and it's very handy. The cook book in nothing special.

Thanks for the tip...will definitely be on the look out.

• @nola- don't you have to do dark meat and light meat separate because of the temp difference?

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead

@nola- don't you have to do dark meat and light meat separate because of the temp difference?

Yep.  The breast is done around 147 (I think) for around 2.5 hours and the dark meat at 178 (I think) around 5 hours.  I need to double check my notes.  But I did two of them, and I remember I cut down on the time for the dark meat because it was too "fall-apart" tender and hard to sear on the egg.

• @nola- don't you have to do dark meat and light meat separate because of the temp difference?

Yep.  The breast is done around 147 (I think) for around 2.5 hours and the dark meat at 178 (I think) around 5 hours.  I need to double check my notes.  But I did two of them, and I remember I cut down on the time for the dark meat because it was too "fall-apart" tender and hard to sear on the egg.
    That' the way I understood it too. Just making sure I had it right
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cazzy
    edited December 2012
    Breasts 146F @ 2.5 hours
    Leg quarters 176F @ 8-10 hours

That's what I read yesterday in this recipe:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • nolaegghead
    I did the dark meat for 10 hours and it was too much.  It was good, but like pulled-pork soft.  5 hours, plus another 20 on the egg was perfect.
  • Nola.....I see that the unit you have will do 30 quarts vs 20 quarts for the Creative.  The unit you have also has a stainless steel heater witch must account for the almost double in weight.  Do you think the cheaper unit would do what yours does?  I was mostly wondering about the increased capacity.    Thanks...and Merry Christmas.