Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much temp can I get with this enclosed table?

Options
I just got this table made.  It has a large vent on the side and the back to let air go in and out.  
Do you think it will pull air as needed for the BGE?  
The table came out good so far.  I have some stone work to add to the top.  Its got hidden casters on the bottom so I can roll it around.  

imageimage

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks good.  Yeah, it should be fine insofar as pulling air in to burn lump.  You'd have to work hard to get the inside above Fahrenheit 451 (where wood auto-ignites).  Make sure your base is fireproof and and air gap is important.
    Options
    I think it should be fine. Perhaps you may need to leave the front access door ajar if you are not getting to temp for high heat cooks.

However, that table looks fantastic! I love the contrast with the tile.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Very, very nice. Is it all one "room" inside, or two separate compartments?

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Looks good.  Yeah, it should be fine insofar as pulling air in to burn lump.  You'd have to work hard to get the inside above Fahrenheit 451 (where wood auto-ignites).  Make sure your base is fireproof and and air gap is important.
    Otherwise, we will have to call Guy Montag
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Otherwise, we will have to call Guy Montag
    haha...otherwise you might just have a dystopian back patio.... :(
    Very, very nice. Is it all one "room" inside, or two separate compartments?

Its separated, with some shelves.  Here is a pic.  The stone its sitting on is an extra travertine.  I have a different stone being cut that's slightly higher so I'll have a bit more air gap room around the egg 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Clever....looks like you incorporated the doors/frames of some restaurant equpiment.  Very nice.  The air gap around the table top isn't a problem.  It just can't touch.  What's the shelf made out of that supports the egg?  If it's not wood, you're fine the way it is.
    The entire table is made of cedar I think.  Its all done from wood, hand done by the carpenter that did some construction a few years ago to my house.  

I purchased the doors online from Whirlpool.  They are the outdoor stainless grill doors.

I'm in Metro New Orleans, I always enjoy your posts.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    How about getting a table nest?  That would solve your height issue giving you more room around the sides and also it inserts an air gap below which would alleviate any concerns about the shelf getting too hot.  Just a thought.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    How about getting a table nest?  That would solve your height issue giving you more room around the sides and also it inserts an air gap below which would alleviate any concerns about the shelf getting too hot.  Just a thought.
    Fred means one of these... but you also want the table nest on a non-combustable surface.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mattsam
    Options
    It works just perfect like it is.  I can't find the feet it came with or I would stick with that route.  But I also have a thicker stone coming.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    My only thought is the heat transfer from Egg to stone to shelf.  Adding the air gap would stop any heat transfer. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Mattsam said:
    The entire table is made of cedar I think.  Its all done from wood, hand done by the carpenter that did some construction a few years ago to my house.  

I purchased the doors online from Whirlpool.  They are the outdoor stainless grill doors.

I'm in Metro New Orleans, I always enjoy your posts.
    Very nice. 

I have a burned spot on my table where the heat transferred through the stone into the shelf.  I did have have a thin stone.  For some reason, I guess because the the bottom isn't double walled like the sides around the fire (and it's close to the coals), it's the hottest part of the egg shell.

Anyway, a thicker stone will help, but keep an eye on it.  A 1" air gap is a good insulator.

If you're ever in Algiers Point, lemme know.
    I want some of what you are smoking.  The Egg is now furniture.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • NEWB_IN_NOLA
    Options
    That's really nice looking. When I get ready for a table, I might need to get the name of your carpenter.
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams