Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Dough - Kitchen Aid Mixer

Options

I have read many post concerning pizza dough recipes and get confused. I have a new KA mixer and wanting to make my own deep dish dough.

Any and all suggestions welcomed - thanks in advance.......

LBGE - Swing Grate - Platesetter - Pimaster110 - Pizza Stones - Maverick E732 - Thermapen - Dutch Ovens Abbeville, SC

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Do the initial mixing with the K paddle, while the dough is more like a batter, that is soupy. Once you are ready to add more flour, switch to the dough hook. 

I also keep an oil mister to spray onto the bowl sides as the dough starts to pull away, just makes it easier to work with. Be patient, deep dish dough is really sticky hard to work compared to regular pizza dough, IMHO. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I wish I liked deep dish pizza, there's been so much buzz about it lately.
    what's not to like about deep dish pizza?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Nuthin'.  I just like thinner, chewy crusts better.  Less is more.  It's all personal.  I cook a lot of them.
    edited December 2012
    Options
    nolaegghead said: Nuthin'.  I just like thinner, chewy crusts better.  Less is more.  It's all personal.  I cook a lot of them.

You should get certified by
    Associazione Vera Pizza Napoletana.
  • Mauch5
    Mauch5 Posts: 33
    Options

I just made a deep dish two weeks ago.  I used the dough recipe shown below and my KA mixer.  I used the dough hook attachment.  It turned out great. 

http://www.biggreenegg.com/features/deep-dish-pizza/

• nolaegghead
    edited December 2012
    Options
    There's a joint in SA where my mom lives that is.  I'm going around the time I'm going to Salado.
    Options
    There is a place in DC(2Amys) that is as well. I try to swing by when I am in the neighborhood.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Nuthin'.  I just like thinner, chewy crusts better.  Less is more.  It's all personal.  I cook a lot of them.
    for me, I like the accomplishment of eating the whole damn thing, which I can do with a thin crust, 13" pizza done on my MBGE. I can only handle about 1/2 of a 12" deep dish done in CI skillet on the egg, I feel so inadequate....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited December 2012
    Options
    for me, I like the accomplishment of eating the whole damn thing, which I can do with a thin crust, 13" pizza done on my MBGE. I can only handle about 1/2 of a 12" deep dish done in CI skillet on the egg, I feel so inadequate....
    It's even worse with a Sicilian pie. After 4 pieces, I feel sick and emasculated.  :))
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Those whole pies gotta be at least 4000 calories - the worst kind.  Not that the pizza falls into the diet category in general, but it ain't a personal pie.
    Options
    Those whole pies gotta be at least 4000 calories - the worst kind.  Not that the pizza falls into the diet category in general, but it ain't a personal pie.
    I know. I would never eat a whole one. It's that subconscious feeling we all have to clean our plates.

(And some general humor) 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    jackieb79 said:
    what's not to like about deep dish pizza?
    It's not pizza.  It's casserole.   :P

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• GaryLange
    Options
    I am craving the Giordanno's Stuffed Pizza myself. It has been a while since I have been able to get back to the Chicago area. This is different from the Deep Dish in that it has two crusts. One on the bottom with all your desired contents and then another with slits and the sauce. They are so good. I am blessed with a Chicago Chain opening here in Springfield, Mo. called Rosati's so I can have my Chicago Style Pizza all the time. They will move into a bigger place in January or February and be a regular sit down restaurant which will be great.
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Options
    Rosati's has good pizza but it is not consistent from location to location i have noticed here in chicago.  hopefully you get a good one down there.  i do like their thin their thin crust and sausage.