Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shun knife set - good deal?

I'm thinking about it.  But I'm an idiot.  $305 shipped.  Chime in if you're a knife expert.  I have a Ken Onion Shun Chef's knife, plus a bunch of Wustof.  Plus some others.  Probably don't need this level of performance (and without carbon steel dedication) but, man, if feels good to wield a nice, pretty knife when you're prepping dinner.

http://www.woot.com/offers/shun-classic-sets

The 3 piece set, not the one with the bread knife. 

3-Piece Flat Set Includes:

• (1) Classic 9" Hollow-Ground Slicing Knife DM0720 - Hollow-ground indentation help slices release from the blade
  • (1) Classic 10" Chef's Knife DM0707 - The longer blade provides additional cutting leverage and is especially handy when it comes to cutting larger foods
  • (1) Classic 5" Nakiri Knife DM0742 - Ideal for cutting vegetables and for straight down motion cuts

Comments

• Not a knife expert, but I am a w00t expert..

Guys in my restaurant love the Shun.  Keep them out of the sink and damascus blades will last you a sharp lifetime.

imho - if it's an impulse buy, w00t puts Shuns up at least once a month.  Pull the trigger if you're sure you like them and need them.  If not, wait a bit, they'll be back...

Hope I helped..

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Yeah I see shun on there frequently.  Guess I've been w00tin' about 5 years.  Never did get a (*&^%%^&*() bandolier of carrots.  Dammit.  Never did see that combo before, but I'm not as w00t obsessed as I used to be. 

Woots: 178
    Deals.Woot Rep: 0/100

• It appears that they are not true Damascus blades. Damascus clad is what I think they are called. Also, they appear to be made exclusively for woot. Not sure that it matters but there it is anyway.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    @travisstrick found the two I care the most about on other sites based on the model numbers, the last one wasn't very popular.

http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/shunclassic-hollowgroundslicingknife-90blade.aspx
    http://www.amazon.com/Shun-DM0707-Classic-10-Inch-Chefs/dp/B0000Y7KN6
    http://www.crateandbarrel.com/shun-classic-5-nakiri-knife/s428094

They have a VG10 core which is nice...You're right - the cladding is pretty much aesthetic, but that core is brittle so it's sort of functional if you're trying to stab cinder block or something. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damascus_steel
  • Yeah I see shun on there frequently.  Guess I've been w00tin' about 5 years.  Never did get a (*&^%%^&*() bandolier of carrots.  Dammit.  Never did see that combo before, but I'm not as w00t obsessed as I used to be. 

Woots: 178
    Deals.Woot Rep: 0/100

I have a few BOCs.  They've really slipped in recent years, and especially since the Amazon takeover.

MaskedMarvel

Woots: 330
    Deals.Woot Rep: 44/100
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• nolaegghead
    @MaskedMarvel - damn, you've been busy!

I think I'm gonna hold off.  You're right, they'll be back, thanks.

I question the value of a nakiri knife. It looks cool, but anything it can do, a chef's knife can do just as easily.

I kind of wish I got an 8" chef's knife instead of the 10". I might have to add to the collection later on.

• nolaegghead
    scottc454 said:
    I have some Shun Premier's that I bought piecemeal. They are great, and look awesome. They cost a pretty penny, though.

I question the value of a nakiri knife. It looks cool, but anything it can do, a chef's knife can do just as easily.

I kind of wish I got an 8" chef's knife instead of the 10". I might have to add to the collection later on.

I already have a 8" Ken Onion Shun chef's knife - it's my most go-to knife for most prep work.
    if its the look of the damascus your after this is a good alternative, the difference in the core vg1 to vg10 is minor and the 10 degree angle gives this ginsu an extremely sharp edge. been using one since last winter and it doesnt show any signs of wear. at this price its an extremely good deal, you just have to get past the fact its made by ginsu
    :))
    http://www.halowayexpress.com/products/Ginsu-Hanaita-Series-5904DS-8%2dInch-Damascus-Chef-Knife-%2d%2d-1SO0027YHPQ099.html
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583

if you like the balance of the ken onion shun chef - the classics will feel VERY different.  I keep my thumb and index finger on the blade so i don't mind the simple handle, but you will use a very different grip and angle from the onion knife.

• @MaskedMarvel - damn, you've been busy!

I think I'm gonna hold off.  You're right, they'll be back, thanks.

That was mostly from when wine woot was starting and they had amazing wine offers.

Read the forums about those knives too - there's something about the core not being a true Damascus? I didn't read very closely...

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• nolaegghead
    @tonya @fishlessman - thanks, I'm thinking maybe I should try that carbon steel Japanese knife that I see posted all the time first - it's only around $50 - and see if I like the balance.  I'm dedicated enough to take care of it, I'm not sure SWMBO is, but we have plenty of knives and if I end up being the only one to use it, well, so be it.  I'm not too snobby to turn my nose up at the Ginsu brand if it's well made, and it sounds like it is.

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• nolaegghead
    She Who Must Be Obeyed

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    edited November 2012
    I have 6 (I think) shun knives that I bought separately. Half of them I bought at William's Sonoma when they were on clearance. 

I bought the offset bread knife for about $50 or $60 at WS on clearance. 

I got the vegetable clever for $70 at WS on clearance

I got a gift card for WS and bought a Wustof knife, ended up returning that to get the Shun 5 inch santoku and the 6 inch utility (that I use as a boning knife)

I also have a big 10 inch utility knife that I found at Marshall's for $80 that I rarely use

Unless those three knifes are the exact ones you want, I would just hunt around and buy the exact ones you want by themselves as you find deals on them.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I would buy the tojiro 240mm WA gyuto on chef knives to go for $60. Amazing knife
  • I'm thinking about it.  But I'm an idiot.  $305 shipped.  Chime in if you're a knife expert.  I have a Ken Onion Shun Chef's knife, plus a bunch of Wustof.  Plus some others.  Probably don't need this level of performance (and without carbon steel dedication) but, man, if feels good to wield a nice, pretty knife when you're prepping dinner.

• (1) Classic 9" Hollow-Ground Slicing Knife DM0720 - Hollow-ground indentation help slices release from the blade
    • (1) Classic 10" Chef's Knife DM0707 - The longer blade provides additional cutting leverage and is especially handy when it comes to cutting larger foods
    • (1) Classic 5" Nakiri Knife DM0742 - Ideal for cutting vegetables and for straight down motion cuts

nolaegghead, I am a new Egghead, however, I have been a chef for 8 years. If I understand you correctly, you arte saying you are getting all 3 for $305? If thats the case, those knives are being GIVEN away!!!! I would jump on that ASAP. If theres another coupon or access to that deal, please send me link. Happy hunting.
  • I'm thinking about it.  But I'm an idiot.  $305 shipped.  Chime in if you're a knife expert.  I have a Ken Onion Shun Chef's knife, plus a bunch of Wustof.  Plus some others.  Probably don't need this level of performance (and without carbon steel dedication) but, man, if feels good to wield a nice, pretty knife when you're prepping dinner.

nolaegghead, I am a new Egghead, however, I have been a chef for 8 years. If I understand you correctly, you arte saying you are getting all 3 for $305? If thats the case, those knives are being GIVEN away!!!! I would jump on that ASAP. If theres another coupon or access to that deal, please send me link. Happy hunting.
    Just went to the link and they were sold out :( Hints why it was such a del. I hope you got them while they were still on the shelf.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

The 4 block set would've been the better option.

The belly of a chefs could be used as a nakiri.  Rank a nakiri with the 6" utility and the tourne.  Paid only $20 for the one below.  Does come in handy when opening packages.

I'm with Lit on the $60 gyoto in white#2 from CKTG.  Keep a towel close when in use, it will flash rust almost instantly.  It is polished with wetdry 600 grit sandpaper, and second on the left.   

Also with yzzi on picking up knives individually as opposed to a set.  If the price is right with the right knives, I'd grab a set.

Amazon had a great 6 piece Shun set for $260 on Cyber Monday.  Brother tried to get one but it sold out fast.  Good deals are out there.  I picked mine off of Amazon several years ago when they closed out the SS Classics.

From right to left: $90, $50, $50, $40, $60, $30, $30, $20, $60, $20

Much less than a set of the same quantity, better knives too.  Shears, blocks, and honing steels are thrown in as additional pieces.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• nolaegghead
    @Focker - which is your most used knife?

@svendangle - Yeah, it was a one day sale that ended at midnight last night.  It'll probably come up again.  I'll post on this site if I notice it.  I was on the fence on buying the set, if I read your post while they were still on sale, I probably would have picked them up. 
    Focker said:

The 4 block set would've been the better option.

The belly of a chefs could be used as a nakiri.  Rank a nakiri with the 6" utility and the tourne.  Paid only $20 for the one below.  Does come in handy when opening packages.

I'm with Lit on the $60 gyoto in white#2 from CKTG.  Keep a towel close when in use, it will flash rust almost instantly.  It is polished with wetdry 600 grit sandpaper, and second on the left.   

Also with yzzi on picking up knives individually as opposed to a set.  If the price is right with the right knives, I'd grab a set.

Amazon had a great 6 piece Shun set for $260 on Cyber Monday.  Brother tried to get one but it sold out fast.  Good deals are out there.  I picked mine off of Amazon several years ago when they closed out the SS Classics.

From right to left: $90, $50, $50, $40, $60, $30, $30, $20, $60, $20

Much less than a set of the same quantity, better knives too.  Shears, blocks, and honing steels are thrown in as additional pieces.

what are the ones on the right you caught my interest, i know nothing about knifes but i do know i want the look of damascus and the prices you listed look great
  • Interesting the perspective we have on knives, they are the most personal part of food prep, and I think we often keep searching for the magic bullet. I was at an outdoor show recently and the Rapala rep told me the $25 retail "SuperGrip" (means rubber) fillet knife was the same blade as the $85 retail custom bone handle "home use" fillet knife. 
    I picked up the "SuperGrip" at Canadian Tire for $9.99 on a clearance sale. It is a great boning and fillet knife, holds an edge very well. My son laughed at me using it until he tried it. He went out and bought one for $25. 
    To each his own. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Focker
    edited November 2012
    @Focker - which is your most used knife?

@svendangle - Yeah, it was a one day sale that ended at midnight last night.  It'll probably come up again.  I'll post on this site if I notice it.  I was on the fence on buying the set, if I read your post while they were still on sale, I probably would have picked them up. 

The $60 Tojiro ITK Shirogami from CKTG and 10" chefs.  For $60, it cannot be beat.  Higher maintenance with this steel, but so worth it.  Polishing is not necessary, but seemed to improve the drag from the natural finish.  Note too, that the blade(spine) is slightly tapered.  Not a big deal to me if the slices aren't OCD perfect.  

CKTG is a great site, talked to the owner a couple of times over the phone, highly recommend. 

Still searching for my brother this season.  The Tojiro would turn to rust on him, so not an option.

If I find a good deal, I will definitely give you a heads up.  I'm sure Amazon isn't done yet.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited November 2012

@U_tarded,

They are Classic Shuns in SS.  The Classics are still available in black paka wood handles, but not marked down to this extreme.  Shun quit making the SS line, and Amazon cleared them out at 66% off. I haven't searched the net for this line, but other stores may have done something similar.

After using them, I would not hesitate to pay full price for a 8" chefs to start out with. If my brother doesn't get a set, he will get that.

Standard Classics are for right-handers.  They do make left-handed versions of the D shaped handle if you're a leftie.   

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited November 2012
    Interesting the perspective we have on knives, they are the most personal part of food prep, and I think we often keep searching for the magic bullet. I was at an outdoor show recently and the Rapala rep told me the $25 retail "SuperGrip" (means rubber) fillet knife was the same blade as the $85 retail custom bone handle "home use" fillet knife. 
    I picked up the "SuperGrip" at Canadian Tire for $9.99 on a clearance sale. It is a great boning and fillet knife, holds an edge very well. My son laughed at me using it until he tried it. He went out and bought one for $25. 
    To each his own. 

I still roll with an old wooden handle Rapala filet knife in the tackle box.  Someday, it will get replaced with a Leech Lake Filet knife identical to the one Fishlessman has posted.

http://www.reedssports.com/Product/product.taf?_function=detail&_ID=3973&pc=1033

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    the old wood handle rapalas were alot better than the newer ones, took a much sharper edge. you get that leech lake and your gonna cut yourself
    :))
    fukahwee maine

• Focker
    edited November 2012

I can hardly wait.  Would get an employee discount in the ED.   >:)

They are beautiful fish, glad you posted yours awhile back.  Does the carbon/SS alloy hold an edge well?

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    i havent sharpened mine yet, have filleted a hundred and something white perch with it though plus use in the kitchen, still trying to get used to the back side being sharp. never did find out what stainless is used on the leach, its superflexible yet stays sharp
    fukahwee maine