Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

We've been insulted.

Options
Watching an hour long History Channel bit on "barbequing".  They just explained the whole range of equipment, from a corporate trailer-tractor rig down to a Webber.  Guess what, not a single ceramic, let alone a BGE.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

When was it originally aired. Bet its an old show.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Ha, Arthur Bryant's Kansas City.  I've been to the original, uh, nice location.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options

Show says aired 2006.  They just did a good bit on Webber (completely deserved IMO), but I would posit that ceramic cookers (in one form or another) have been around for millenia, and the BGE is a revolution in America.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    D-day. Classic!
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    SmokinDAWG82 said: Are we gonna sit here and let them get away with this or are we gonna RISE UP LIKE MEN AND GET THE RESPECT WE DESERVE ? "Did we stand by when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?" Lets GO!! Who's with me?
    I'm right
    behind you, Dawg.  

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Are we gonna sit here and let them get away with this or are we gonna RISE UP LIKE MEN AND GET THE RESPECT WE DESERVE ? "Did we stand by when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?" Lets GO!! Who's with me?

Germans?

Forget it, he's rolling

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Once, while driving a school bus, I listened to a couple of Middle Schooler's arguing about whether we fought the Australians in WWII. 

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Once, while driving a school bus, I listened to a couple of Middle Schooler's arguing about whether we fought the Australians in WWII. 
    At least, they knew there WAS a WWII, unlike my college graduate niece.  :-B

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    First rule of fight club: we. do. not. talk. about. fight. club.

Good.  We're not going to have to enforce our wrath on the producer of the history channel show for talking.
    edited November 2012
    Options
    "It was all as I had left it except that now it was winter. I looked out of the door to the big deck and saw my friend sitting on his nest, the dome open and the sunlight coming into the DFMT. It was smoking and I did not know whether to go out and check the coals or go upstairs first and put on my apron. I decided to go upstairs."
    (Paraphrased)

Farewell to Eggs, Ernest Eggingway

This was a quote I was reminded of that will allow us Eggers time to reflect on this sad day.

• michigan_jason
    Options
    The History Channel is stuck in the past.  
    Lol, well played.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Ha, I am a huge Hemmingway, err, Eggingway fan.

"The first thing you noticed, coming out of the stream and up to the island, was a small smudge on the  horizon, usually marked by a column of smoke.  Next you could see the tall coconut palms rising higher above the horizon, and then finally the house.  The house was built right into the island, like a ship, and when the trade winds blew, the smoke from the Big Green Egg on the deck went through the house from wind side and out the lee...."

Big Green Eggs in the Stream, Part 1, Andros, Ernest Eggingway

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Doc, priceless, absolutely priceless!

Just into my corn flakes and I already have a smile for the day...
    =))
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    eggsellent!

Doc, priceless, absolutely priceless!

Just into my corn flakes and I already have a smile for the day...
    =))
    Cred's to the inspiration, Eggcelsior.

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    "It was all as I had left it except that now it was winter. I looked out of the door to the big deck and saw my friend sitting on his nest, the dome open and the sunlight coming into the DFMT. It was smoking and I did not know whether to go out and check the coals or go upstairs first and put on my apron. I decided to go upstairs."
    (Paraphrased)

Farewell to Eggs, Ernest Eggingway

This was a quote I was reminded of that will allow us Eggers time to reflect on this sad day.

Doc was right, you were the inspiration, thanks for starting this, I will have this stupid grin on my face all day (well stupider than normal grin) Thanks!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Old man and the sea is my favorite book. It's also the first book I read my son. Islands in the stream is a close second.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • IrishDevl
    Options
  • Doc_Eggerton
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Thomas Hudson rested on the sand, and felt the fine clean sea breeze.  He thought to himself that he had never seen finer, or more perfect and clean sand.

"I must think like the men we pursue; no I must think better than them," he thought.

He wondered if they had already passed Cayo Sal, or had they gone inside and were hiding in the mangroves until night.

"We are chasing them well," he thought, "and if we don't over run them we will catch them, or push them into someone else who will catch them"

"If only we knew whether they had an Egg," he wondered.

He dozed off to sleep, and dreamed of his own Egg, and murmured about smoked salmon. 

Henry came up to lay a light blanket over the sleeping man, and hearing him said, "Oh, you poor son of a ****, there is no Egg on the ship."

Ernest Eggingway, Big Green Eggs in the Stream, Part 3, At Sea

• IrishDevl
    Options

Love it, keep it up.

• Eggcelsior
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Old man and the sea is my favorite book. It's also the first book I read my son. Islands in the stream is a close second.
    Hemingway is one of my favorite authors, along with John Steinbeck. "The Pearl" was one of the first books I ever read that really "said something" to me. Makes you love to read. 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Thomas Hudson lay on the floor of the big bedroom, that looked so much like a cabin on the old Normandy, and felt the cold wind coming under the door where the grass mat had been bent away.

He often slept on the floor, the first night ashore, because he could not stand the rolling of the bed.

He felt the roughness of the woven grass mat, and felt the pressure of the large cat that lay beside him and that was rubbing against him.  The cat's name, now, was Boy.  Once it had been Boise, named after the Cruiser, but now it was just Boy.

Hudson pushed the cat hard with his hand, for Boy loved to be rubbed or patted just like a dog, and said "Where's the Egg, Boy, where's the Egg."  The cat erupted in loud, lion like purring.

Hudson remembered that night, when he had had so many of the sea foam green drinks at the Gordito; the fine drinks with local rum, and lime, and no sugar at all, and which looked like the phosphorescence of the sea, and stumbling home had first said to Boy, "Where's the Egg."

Hudson had been hungry and could not sleep, and he and Boy had found the Egg, and had made wings.

Afterwards, as Hudson slept on this same floor, Boy had laid beside him, drunk with the rich smell of rum and wing sauce.

Big Green Eggs in the Stream, Part 2, Cuba, Ernest Eggingway

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    This.Thread.Delivers.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    The History Channel is stuck in the past.  
    Village Idiot... you just made me snarf my water.  :))
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • yellowdogbbq
    Options
    LMAO, Love the Ernest Eggingway!
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Mornings, before daylight, I slipped into neighbor's yard and borrowed a plate setter, or a swing grate, or a thermapen, or some new lump, or things of that kind. Pap always said it warn't no harm to borrow things, if you was meaning to pay them back with pulled pork, sometime; but the widow said it warn't anything but a soft name for stealing, and no decent body would do it, unless it was brisket.

Adventures of Huckleberry Egg

Samuel Egghorne Clemons aka Mark Twain
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Mornings, before daylight, I slipped into neighbor's yard and borrowed a plate setter, or a swing grate, or a thermapen, or some new lump, or things of that kind. Pap always said it warn't no harm to borrow things, if you was meaning to pay them back with pulled pork, sometime; but the widow said it warn't anything but a soft name for stealing, and no decent body would do it, unless it was brisket.

Adventures of Huckleberry Egg

Samuel Egghorne Clemons aka Mark Twain

*slow clap* *stands* *faster clap* *one tear*
    Boom