Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Herbed Poultry Brine from: Charcuterie, The craft of Salting Smoking and Curing

Options

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    I'm getting a little tipsy. Should I just wait for the duck til tomorrow?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm getting a little tipsy. Should I just wait for the duck til tomorrow?
    it's up...............
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • travisstrick
    Options
    hey clettus, what kind of pink salt do I need. I'm ordering the book from Amazon and I want to get the salt at the same time. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Go to academy and buy it. It's $2. I bought 4 of them. They have fiesta brand sodium nitrite. That's all you need. Any sodium nitrite will work.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Book ordered, salt not. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    If you have an iPad, it's on iBooks. That's the way i did it.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    I have a kindle, iPhone, and iMac. No iPad........ Yet
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

A ha. Prolly have it on kindle too but hard copy would be good
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

Kindle-version is 19 and change on Amazon.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    I got the hardcover for $20 plus $6 for shipping.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Dang, you are gonna be through that book before I even get started.

I got my curing salt through Butcher packer and Supply Company online. 8oz for $2.50. Haven never seen it at my academy. I try not to go in there or I will spend too much money, but I'll look next time I go in there, which maybe tomorrow. Need more ammo for the ranch next weekend....and maybe another gun....

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Griffin said:

Dang, you are gonna be through that book before I even get started.

I got my curing salt through Butcher packer and Supply Company online. 8oz for $2.50. Haven never seen it at my academy. I try not to go in there or I will spend too much money, but I'll look next time I go in there, which maybe tomorrow. Need more ammo for the ranch next weekend....and maybe another gun....

It's on the jerky/sausage making supply aisle back by camping. It's not on the seasoning aisle
  • Griffin
    Options
    Oh, I know. I've looked there before. In 3 seperate Academy's (dallas, mesquite and frisco). Trust me, I've looked. But I'll look again tomorrow although now I have enough for 100 lbs of meat or 100 gallons of brine. I should be good for awhile.

Rowlett, Texas

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    OK...this may be a dumb question, but what are yall using to brine your birds in?  I don't know if I have anything big enough to put a 20# bird in that will keep it completely submerged.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cazzy said:
    OK...this may be a dumb question, but what are yall using to brine your birds in?  I don't know if I have anything big enough to put a 20# bird in that will keep it completely submerged.  

I'm doing a 15lb ham in a brining bag in a cooler with ice this week. If you have an extra fridge, head on over to Home Depot and get one of the 5 gallon orange buckets. we are headed to my sisters ranch this year so I'm not doing a bird for the first time in quite a while. we were put in charge of breakfast so we made 10 lbs of bacon and a fresh brined, maple glazed ham with some jalapeño cheese grits.......boom.......that just happened. It's going to blow their minds
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    cazzy said:

I'm doing a 15lb ham in a brining bag in a cooler with ice this week. If you have an extra fridge, head on over to Home Depot and get one of the 5 gallon orange buckets. we are headed to my sisters ranch this year so I'm not doing a bird for the first time in quite a while. we were put in charge of breakfast so we made 10 lbs of bacon and a fresh brined, maple glazed ham with some jalapeño cheese grits.......boom.......that just happened. It's going to blow their minds
    Where do you get brining bags?  I don't have a extra fridge so a bucket wont work.  

Man, that sounds awesome Guy Fieri!!  =P~
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:

Where do you get brining bags?  I don't have a extra fridge so a bucket wont work.  

I'm brining my ham in a gallon of Rumple Mintz, 1lb of sweet sticky weed, 4 crushed up ambien and instead of pink salt, I used the artisanal meth from the Trappist monks in MO from the Williams Sonoma Thread......and of course, I will garnish with raisins.......Full Throttle!!!! Brining bags are at your local HEB in SA brother. $3 or so.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:

I'm brining my ham in a gallon of Rumple Mintz, 1lb of sweet sticky weed, 4 crushed up ambien and instead of pink salt, I used the artisanal meth from the Trappist monks in MO from the Williams Sonoma Thread......and of course, I will garnish with raisins.......Full Throttle!!!! Brining bags are at your local HEB in SA brother. $3 or so.
    how many of those you had today?

also to the brining bags, have in the past used the roasting bags for turkeys sold by the ziploc section double bag it and you should be leak free!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:

What a coincidence, I'm using an ounce of OG Kush, dilaudid in place of pink salt, a Chimay (meth is bad, m-kay) (blue) and some bath salts for the brine.  I'll smoke with angle trumpets (very fruity and trumpety) rather than your Texas standard - mesquite.   The epinephrine rub will add some ZANG to the mix, (plus some instant espresso and chili).  The in-laws will be out-laws if they get randomly tested but the sous vide before the sear will ensure juiciness!
    U_tarded said:
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:

how many of those you had today?

also to the brining bags, have in the past used the roasting bags for turkeys sold by the ziploc section double bag it and you should be leak free!

I've had 37! ...............ours was just a giant ziplock but we paid $2 more because we were at whole foods. I'm sure it was made with some special non global warming sustainable materials..........or they just bought the zip locks and put it in a new box with graphics that look 20 years old made with soy ink and charged me 40% more
  • Griffin
    Options
    cazzy said:

I use a cheapo ole metal stock pot for my brining. Not sure onthe size but it held an 18.5 lber. Can look at it when I get home if you want.

Rowlett, Texas

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options

I too do Kindle, but my book has lots of margin notes scribbled in.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    cazzy said:

A 5 gallon bucket.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I bought some rubbermaid plastic storage bins from Home Despot that hold a turkey, and that are much shorter than the 5 gal buckets.  If I use a bucket, I have to rearrange the beer and remove a shelf in the manbearcave fridge. 

If you have a big enough crisper drawer, and I do this for smaller stuff, you can put your brine and meat in a bag and throw it in that.
    Ha! I can just put it in the garage.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Ha! I can just put it in the garage.
    Ha!  You're garage is cold, mine is toasty, toasty warm!
    Options
    hapster said:
    Brine question... The bone in breasts that I picked up last night do not state "enhanced" anywhere on the label; but to say they have up to 6% added water, with no preservatives, MSG, etc...

Are they okay to brine?
    Yes they're ok.  If they added salt, it would say "enhanced" or "solution" or "salt" somewhere (unless it's illegally labeled).
    edited November 2012
    Options
    @hapster - No prob.  Another way to tell is to look at the nutritional information label.  The sodium per serving should be well under 100 milligrams per serving.  If it's several hundred or more, then salt was added. 
    Options
    That's perfect.  I just bags all the time for brining and marinating.
    Options
    So question, do I rinse the bird after I pull it from the brine?  Didn't see that listed in the instructions but many recipes say to rinse it so just checking.