Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adding Wood Chips Challange

This weekend I grilled ribs.  I used the plate setter.  Throughout the cook I added apple wood chips.  It was a challenge working around the plate setter; have about a 1inch clearance between the plate setter and grill wall. I'd aim for the small area (like pouring oil without a funnel) and used a rod to push the others that missed.  Anyone have better ideas and maybe a different cooking strategy? The ribs turned out great. BGE Rocks !!!!!

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    You did it the same way I did at the Plano Fest this weekend untill PhotoEgg showed me I was using a plate setter in a new type Woo that picked up grid and plate setter at the same time to add chips. One reason I do not use a plate sitter at home but use the spyder and smaller pizza stone for indirect, just easier to add chips.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GLW
    GLW Posts: 178
    I've not done it myself but I've heard you can add some chips through the bottom vent.  Does anyone know if that actually works?
    When in doubt add more pepper.
  • Mickey said:
    You did it the same way I did at the Plano Fest this weekend untill PhotoEgg showed me I was using a plate setter in a new type Woo that picked up grid and plate setter at the same time to add chips. One reason I do not use a plate sitter at home but use the spyder and smaller pizza stone for indirect, just easier to add chips.
    I'd like more info about this Woo.  Who has it and how does it work exactly?
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • Mickey
    edited November 2012

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/

go look at the Large PS WOO

• The PSWoo works in tandem with the BGE Large platesetter. We did this so it's easier to lift the platesetter in and out during a cook. Again, a handy option for checking the lump or adding wood chunks during a cook. The platesetter slides between the PSWoo's two rings and sits on the lower ring's half circle indentations. Pictured below right shows the PSWoo upside down and how the platesetter rests on the PSWoo's lower ring. The handles act as a stop, so you can't push the platesetter in too far.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Platesetter now sits in the woo ring and it has handles to lift out all as one piece. Its on the website. I've just picked up everything (using welder's gloves) before.

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-woo-big-green-egg.html

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey

Optiontrader I added my drip pan sitting on 4 alum foil balls to the top of the plate sitter.I had not noticed the woo when setting it up and Photo Egg told me how it worked: WOW... Notice the set up in the pic from Plano Fest of the ham.

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    Also you can try mixing in the wood chips thru out the lump before you light it. Personally I use wood chunks instead of chips. Four nice chunks will give me enough smoke flavor without having to add more during the cook.
  • Wow, this looks great.  I'll have to get one of these.  Thanks!
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited November 2012

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JF60CE/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i00

I bought one of these off of Amazon thinking it could work as a second level in my Medium, since there are not many eggcessories available for it. The Woo would work but I already had the plate setter and a PSWoo is not available for it. Unfortunately, it catches the sides of the dome, leaving a 1-inch gap when it is sitting on the BGE grid in it's normal position. Due to that, it took refuge in my garage until I could figure out what to do with it. As it was out of sight, I missed out on the return window. Then, out of arrogant pride to disprove SWMBO's comment on it being a waste of money, I tested it out with out the regular grid. The legs sit right on the fire ring. I first used it upside-down to sear steaks. When flipped, It is at the level of the firebox. Upright, it sits 1-inch above the felt line. I can put the PS legs-up and rest the grid on the exposed areas of the ring. The disadvantage is that the grid is only 12-inches in diameter, but this gives me the ability to easily place up to fist-sized chunks onto the coals without removing the meat. This doesn't work with the largest butts(still need full grid), but it works with 8-9 lb hunks of meat.

If I did this over again, I would go with the Woo. If you have a large or XL, the PSWoo. I just tried to work with the tools available, plus it was only $30.

I'll post a picture when I get home to help with the visualization of this.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Just mix it in the lump
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I mix it with the lump and start my fire in one spot in the middle. Child catch fire as the fire spreads. Easy and it works. Once my PS is in the egg, that's where it stays until the end of the cook.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    I believe that Cen-Tex mentioned fashioning a slide/open funnel rig using aluminum foil to help guide the chips/chunks under the setter to the fire-never tried it as I'm with cortguitarman-once loaded that's it til the finish-line.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gfavor
    gfavor Posts: 74
    Thanks for the responses, lots of great ideas
  • @eggcelsior, small Grill Dome extender is great! I use it for single butts and 1/2 chickens, works just fine. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap said:
    I believe that Cen-Tex mentioned fashioning a slide/open funnel rig using aluminum foil to help guide the chips/chunks under the setter to the fire-never tried it as I'm with cortguitarman-once loaded that's it til the finish-line.
    I was responding to another poster who had rigged up some type of tin foil chute. I don't ever need to add wood to my smokes- I do that all upfront.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I use chunks and don't add anything even on 12+hr cooks, the meat takes most of the smoke in the first couple of hours anyway
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The chute-idea is silly.  I'd like to see a rube goldberg chip addition system, though.