Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire-building FAIL

So, I know there is the debate between stacking and dumping. I'm I'm between - I dump for short cooks, but stack for long cooks. I usually pull out big pieces and save them to help with the stacking. When I went to do a pork butt yesterday, I had so many big pieces that I just stacked em all up and didn't put many medium or small on top at all, thinking lump is lump. About 11 hours in my temp started to drop, but didn't matter too much because the butt was 193 so I just pulled it. Examination of the fire box showed that the big pieces created so much ash it was killing the air flow. Going forward, I think I'll cut down on the number of big pieces I use. Hope somebody can learn from this experience.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    There ya go - forensic investigation reveals useful knowledge in lump loading configuration.  I love science. 

Thanks for sharing as we can all learn from the journeys of others-hers's a link about lump loading that may be a bit excessive but in the interest of letting others know the options...

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm regardless, the pork is great!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    What brand of charcoal were you using?  Some brands have much more ash than others.  I currently use Humphreys as my main charcoal and it is pretty good on ash creation.  Wicked Good was also low on ash.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Shiff said:

What brand of charcoal were you using?

Royal Oak. It's all I've ever used and never had an issue before.
  • There ya go - forensic investigation reveals useful knowledge in lump loading configuration.  I love science. 
    We know you love science, it has always been wether or not you understand when and how to use it that has always been a concern to the forum. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    There ya go - forensic investigation reveals useful knowledge in lump loading configuration.  I love science. 
    We know you love science, it has always been wether or not you understand when and how to use it that has always been a concern to the forum. 
    Skiddy - I performed a introspective survey on my application of science on this forum. I conclude empirically that I have a pretty good accuracy ratio that's slightly better than just picking only "(a)" on a scantron test, and that it drives people nuts.  :D
    I'd keep one or two extra or additional bags so you're assured of having smaller pieces.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited November 2012
    Skiddy - I performed a introspective survey on my application of science on this forum. I conclude empirically that I have a pretty good accuracy ratio that's slightly better than just picking only "(a)" on a scantron test, and that it drives people nuts.  :D
    For what it's worth, I always go with "c" on Scantron, when the result is in doubt.

I always appreciate your application of science. It definitely helps explain things better than this guy....

You can be my Dr. Bunsen anytime!
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Try a hi Q grate with big pieces, which should allow more ash to fall through.