Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Food Processor Pizza Dough

Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
edited November 2012 in EggHead Forum

We've all probably got one sitting in a cupboard.  Stumbled upon this interesting theory, and am slowly becoming a convert.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/10/the-pizza-lab-how-to-make-great-new-york-style-pizza.html

Fellow egger Carolina Q steered me to this easy peasy New York style dough.  Yields 3 14" doughballs.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/10/new-york-style-pizza.html?ref=search

It is best to use the regular blade, dough blade is not necessary.  Recipe says to pulse for 15 sec...more like 30-45 sec.  Another tip learned the hard way is to use bottled water.  Some tap water kills yeast, at least mine does.  Best results have been with a 2 day cold rise.

With a scale, bowl, and FP, it takes less than 5 minutes to throw this together.

For today's Zas, I tried going with 1/3 KA Whole Wheat and 2/3 KA Bread flour.  Setup consisted of inverted platesetter, egg feet, stone.  Temp was a couple of ticks above five hundo.

First pie:  alfredo sauce, mozz, chedda, ernyin, grn pepp, parfrozen grilled chicken breast, basil. 

Second pie: Enrico's pizza sauce, mozz, chedda, grn pepp, ernyin, roasted red pepp, sausage, anchovies, basil.

Ol' Unkie Pook hit paydirt like the Bears Defense by getting a 2, 5, and 6 year old to eat ernyin, peppers, and basil.  Was shocked they liked the first one, so I went a little overboard with the second for the "big boys". 

First try of the anchovies.  Glad I scaled back and used only 4 chopped filets.   

Having issues with the pics, apologies in advance.

Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Great looking pie and dough. May have to give this one a try.
    KingRover Posts: 115
    edited November 2012
    Great looking pizzas and nice crust. I've been meaning to try this method. And I like that you threw some whole wheat.
  • Focker

@Tjcoley,

Thanks, dough is very pliable and easy to stretch.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker

Thanks, New York style is my favorite, combination of crunch and chew.  Whole wheat really intensifies the flavor.  Prefer all bread flour though.  This is the "healthy" version.  ;)

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    I used that recipe and it was my best dough yet. I'm not sure yet if it was the food processor or the "00" flour but the dough had a good consistency and was easy to stretch. Your pies look great, and it certainly looks like the little ones enjoyed them.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    Looks good.  Makes me want to bake pizza this week.

• Focker
    Hungry Joe, my results with this dough are identical.  Thanks for the kind words, it was a good day. :)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• @Focker, looks very similar to this one I've posted here a couple of times. It is easy, works and stores very well. The only issue was the power of the food processor, our's is a tired old guy that really strained to make the dough, results were very good. 

Great cook and thanks for sharing... looks like the most important "critics" are really enjoying the pie, there lies the reward or as you say "it was a good day".

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Focker
    edited November 2012
    @Focker, looks very similar to this one I've posted here a couple of times. It is easy, works and stores very well. The only issue was the power of the food processor, our's is a tired old guy that really strained to make the dough, results were very good. 

Great cook and thanks for sharing... looks like the most important "critics" are really enjoying the pie, there lies the reward or as you say "it was a good day".

Thanks

Yes, it is.  ATK's Chicago Deep Dish is on the list of things to try.  Chris got a little hot under the bowtie when he was at Lou Malnati's in Chicago and the owner would not reveal any tips.

The critics can be picky at times, I was a little thrown off.  Pizza is by far, our favorite cook on the egg.  Possibilities are endless.    

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I used that recipe, but screwed it up with regular flour. Now have the right flour, but haven't messed with it again. So many cooks to try, so little time....

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Focker
    I hear ya.  Anymore, I stick with the KISS method.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities