Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Duck prosciutto, bresaola and cold smoked steelhead weekend.

It's a Ruhlman's Charcuitterie cooking weekend....will post pics as I shoot them.

Comments

• Snob
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    This is me ignoring plebeian comments from the proletariat.
    :-@

Different parts of the country have different names for what is often the same fish, just curious. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    @nolaegghead, when you say steelhead, is this a Pacific Northwest steelhead (like salmon except spawns several times) or is it rainbow trout? 

Different parts of the country have different names for what is often the same fish, just curious. 
    I dunno where it comes from - it's basically a type of rainbow trout, but it looks and tastes like salmon - I could pass it off as salmon.  I think it tastes better than most farm-raised salmon.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    I believe that's called anadromous.  Since I'm being pompous today anyway, might as well live the dream.  And they have red flesh because they eat food with astaxanthin - for example, crustaceans such as shrimp and krill.
    edited November 2012
    Bresaola - started with a 5.3lb top round.  Removed every trace of fat and membrane.  Made a rub, applied half of it, saved the other half for after the first 7 day dry cure.  I used a foodsaver bag to keep the meat in contact with the dry rub.  A lot of water will come out - probably lose 1/3 of the weight in water when it's said and done.

last pic is just last nights cook.  Seared two filets.
    imageimageimageimage
  • I believe that's called anadromous.  Since I'm being pompous today anyway, might as well live the dream.  And they have red flesh because they eat food with astaxanthin - for example, crustaceans such as shrimp and krill.
    I thought he was the Greek god of beauty and desire

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Our steelhead are running late this year, my Taiwanese buddy is heading out next week to wade in the cold water and bring home more than he can eat, I hope. Average is about 6 pounds, but they can hit as much as 30 - big fish. Years ago, fished in Spence's Bridge BC, close to where the Thompson and Fraser Rivers meet, Thompson River steels - best there is. 

Enjoy your fish!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Nice nola...the bresaola from that book is so good...I'll be doing another one soon so is ready for the holidays. I picked up duck breast for prosciutto and a piece of pork belly for pancetta today...
  • nolaegghead
    edited November 2012
    Are the 30 pounders good to eat?  They must make good steaks.

The steelhead looses so much moisture in the cure - there's at least a cup of free-water in the pan.  I've only done cold smoked fish once before.
    Nice nola...the bresaola from that book is so good...I'll be doing another one soon so is ready for the holidays. I picked up duck breast for prosciutto and a piece of pork belly for pancetta today...
    Nice - I've done pancetta.  Bacon is on the list. 

The duck breast was $14/lb.  I think I'm just going to buy a whole duck next time.  I bought it along with fig preserves to do C-Ts smoked duck breast appetizer, but I just got my instacure #2 last week and I'm on another curing streak, so I'll have to postpone the smoked duck thang.

Brome (Quebec) duck breasts, seasoned with crushed juniper berries, garlic, salt and thyme
    Smoked at 200* for three hours
    Wowoh baby!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Well, if the more you pay, the better it tastes is true, the duck prosciutto should be out-of-this-world.  Yeah, I still want to smoke one and do C-Ts thing.  I'll have some left over duck dark meat buyin' whole ducks, but I suppose that's perfect for making some duck confit.
    edited November 2012
    Alright folks.  Smoked the steelhead trout last night and ate it for lunch (along with a few other people in my office).  Came out better than any cold-smoked fish I've ever bought before (of course, that's in my opinion). 

Still have half left for later.

The little white things in the smoker in front of the trout are duck prosciutto in cheesecloth.  Thought they might benefit from a little smoke.

Smoke is cherry/apple.  Smoked for 6 hours.  Temp of fish never exceeded 64F (I checked a few times).  If the temp goes above 90F, it totally destroys the texture.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    otter Posts: 340
    Here in Michigan we get fresh Steelhead that run from The Big Lake. I skin them and put on direct with BBQ sauce and crisp the outside, do the same with salmon...mmm
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • Just now saw the bit about the duck being smoked in there too.....with the smoke, you're getting away from prosciutto and into speck territory, but speck is loaded with juniper berries in the cure too. I'm interested in how this turns out....I have 4 breasts that I'm gonna start curing later today and if the smoke works, I might do it on two of them.
  • nolaegghead
    Thanks Mighty_Quinn!

@otter - those fish never see salt water - do they have the pink flesh?
    Yes they have pink flesh
    Pure Michigan
  • otter
    otter Posts: 340
    Salmon is more of a light tan.
    Pure Michigan
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Allright @nolaegghead - you're just showing off now and trying to make the rest of us look bad. ;)

Nice job on everything you did there.

=D>

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• nolaegghead
    @Griffin - thanks man.  Trying, but it's hard to do with all the excellent cooks posting on the forum... ;)
    would you be able to explain/post more pictures of that salmon smoking set up you have there?  looks pretty dang sweet...
    denver, co
  • nolaegghead
    atads said:
    would you be able to explain/post more pictures of that salmon smoking set up you have there?  looks pretty dang sweet...
    Yeah, I've been meaning to post a thread on the concept and build, everything I've learned doing it.  I'm still making some adjustments (like need to add an insulated duct and a dedicated fire box, add dehumidifier for drying, etc.) - meaning it's still getting modified.  For cold smoking - it works great.

I'll try adding on this evening.
    A duck and a pig walk into a bar ....
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    your mom liked that number, in centimeters.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike