Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brining 101: Some additional info on Brining

jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited November 2012 in EggHead Forum
I originally posted this a few minutes ago in War Eagles interesting picture post on his Brined Turkey and Brunswick Stew. Then I thought it was inconsiderate of me to put it there because I don't want to hijack his thread. My bad.

It seems like a lot of folks here are interested in brining. For those of you who are thinking about brining and want to learn some more about it, I wanted to share a link to a rather lengthy blog entry (with pictures) I wrote on Brining. I've been brining for about 5 years now and I wouldn't do a turkey without brining it. This blog item covers both short term brining (turkey) and long term (brisket for pastrami). It covers the topic from start to finish and also covers the differences between brining and marinading which are similar but different processes. One of the things I tried to do is cover both what to do and what NOT to do. I've made some mistakes and there is no reason you should repeat them. Anyway I hope this helps some of you get started brining. Jim

Blog Entry: Brining 101
3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited November 2012
    Well, I think since the subject about brining came up in WarEagle's thread, it wouldn't have been an actual "hijack" (at best I would call it a "joyride" maybe) ;)

At any rate, thanks for posting this information (whether it was here, or in WarEagle's thread). 

Brining is something I've never done, as I've always gotten good results w/out it - however, I'm always up for trying something new - who knows, perhaps it can take my chicken or turkey from "really good" to "freakin great" - or not - I guess I won't know 'til I try it.

Anyway, it seems that everyone, whether they be a "new" poster or have been around the block a few times, as they say - can learn something - that's what I really like about this forum - just when ya think ya got your BBQ down to darn near perfect, someone will come along w/ a new twist on an old recipe, or a new technique that makes ya go "WOW, I wanna try that!!"

So thank you for your "brining 101" info!!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Jim, I thanked you on the previous thread you highjacked, so I'm not going to be redundant here. :D  Can't wait to read through it.
    Nola your post is actually what caused me to relocate. So actually, thank you. It occurred to me that folks like you thanking me might accidentally hijack War_Eagle's interesting thread or as Hillbilly Hightech put it: take it for a joyride. (good one)
  • nolaegghead
    edited November 2012
    Just for the record, I don't mind if my OP threads get highjacked, as long as it isn't religion or politics. :D
  • Thanks for posting the brining info.  Its a subject I would like to learn more about.  I do it every once in a while because mostly I'm unfamiliar with it.  I gotta just do it because it makes food juicier and better. 

Flint, Michigan
  • jfm0830
    edited November 2012
    Well I'm brand new here. I want to make friends, not lose friends I don't even have yet. And FWIW you don't have to pray I won't ask you who you are voting for [-X
  • Well, I think since the subject about brining came up in WarEagle's thread, it wouldn't have been an actual "hijack" (at best I would call it a "joyride" maybe) ;)

At any rate, thanks for posting this information (whether it was here, or in WarEagle's thread). 

Brining is something I've never done, as I've always gotten good results w/out it - however, I'm always up for trying something new - who knows, perhaps it can take my chicken or turkey from "really good" to "freakin great" - or not - I guess I won't know 'til I try it.

Anyway, it seems that everyone, whether they be a "new" poster or have been around the block a few times, as they say - can learn something - that's what I really like about this forum - just when ya think ya got your BBQ down to darn near perfect, someone will come along w/ a new twist on an old recipe, or a new technique that makes ya go "WOW, I wanna try that!!"

So thank you for your "brining 101" info!!
    Trust me. try it. I did it for the first time last week and I will never do a planned poultry cook without it again. I'll always throw stuff on at the last minute and it will be good. But it was awesome and made a huge difference. lot of work, but man was it good.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Just for the record, I don't mind if my OP threads get highjacked, as long as it isn't religion or politics. :D
    Amen....oh wait. dangit

I don't care about mine either. Hijack away. I forget what they are about after 5 minutes anyway.

• nolaegghead
    Beats watchin' TV.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • muttin
    muttin Posts: 45

i just read you Brine 101 and thank you it is very informative. can you give me the recipe that you find turns out the best for a turkey ?

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited November 2012
    October 28 Here is the poultry Brine (Credit: Charcuterie- Brian Polcyn/Michael Rulman) 1 Gallon/4 Liters Water 1 cup/225 kosher salt. 1cup/225 grams sugar 1 bunch fresh Tarragon (about an ounce/25 grams) 1 bunch fresh parsley (about and ounce/25 grams) 2 bay leaves 1 head garlic halved horizontally 1 onion sliced 2 TBSP/30 grams black peppercorns lightly crushed with the bottom of a saute pan 2 lemons, halved Combine all ingredients in a pot, give the lemons a good squeeze before throwing them in. put over high heat and bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve all the salt and sugar. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temp. The refrigerate until chilled. Once chilled, add the bird and weight down with a plate or something similar and leave in the fridge for the appropriate times.
  • god i hate that ipad does not format on here. Sorry. I'll post from my PC so it looks like a list as it should
  • nolaegghead
    C-T - I think you forgot an important ingredient - salt.

• 1 cup salt
    • 1 cup brown sugar
    • oranges, quartered
    • 2 lemons, quartered
    • 6 sprigs thyme
    • 4 sprigs rosemary
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • jfm0830
    muttin said:

i just read you Brine 101 and thank you it is very informative. can you give me the recipe that you find turns out the best for a turkey ?

This is the one I've used:

• jfm0830
    god i hate that ipad does not format on here. Sorry. I'll post from my PC so it looks like a list as it should
    What I find particularly annoying is post PC devices are where the market is heading. I haven't had this problem with any other sites with one exception. The software vendor for my Website creation software (RapidWeaver) uses Vanilla to power their forums too. To make matters worse over there is the RapidWeaver software only runs on Macs.
  • C-T - I think you forgot an important ingredient - salt.
    yeah- cut and pasted. Somehow it got cut out. good catch

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I have watched some videos on CooksIllustrated.com (actually they were originally from when they were on PBS) and it is worth taking a look.  I have never brined anything that I cooked on the egg, but the information behind it all is really nice to know.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    I have used that apple brine several times it has become a family favorite, we also stuff the cavity with apples, oranges, and and onion quartered. Very savory! Hit it with a chunk or 2 of apple and you can't go wrong.