Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nooooooo! Cracked!

I fired up the egg tonight to do 3 butts for my kids theatre class and I noticed a bunch of smoke pouring out the side. I have a 14 inch crack with smoke pouring out that is new today. Did all the brined stuff yesterday then did a clean burn. Guess that cracked it. Don't have my original receipt and live 1200 miles from where I bought it. Time to beg for leniency!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Duude...that sucks.  What temp did you hit with the clean burn?

I hope the mothership covers it.

It wasn't even that high. Like 600. It was the end of a load of lump that I wanted to burn off so I could start fresh tonight for the butts.

Crazy. I cooked on it all day yesterday and it was not there
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    edited October 2012
    Time to buy an XL!

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Ouch ! Duct tape for the cook? I shall have another drink in your eggs honor...
    Lynnwood WA
  • lakewade
    CT:  One thought...the temperature has dropped like crazy in the last few days - like 35 degrees...wonder if that affected it? 

-----------
  • brewbq
    brewbq Posts: 52
    *plays taps*  That is awful.  Did you register your egg with the big guys when you bought it?  I just got mine this summer and the dealer registered the purchase with BGE on the spot.  I also registered once I got home, but I'm pretty sure the ceramics are warrantied for life.  Good luck man.  I'd love to hear how this goes for you.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    That sucks...surely they'll work with you.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead

Duude...that sucks.  What temp did you hit with the clean burn?

It wasn't even that high. Like 600. It was the end of a load of lump that I wanted to burn off so I could start fresh tonight for the butts.

600?!  It was barely warmed up. 

It's a defective casting.
    Well, do you remember the time we had to build a fire in the bottom just to melt the ice that had frozen it shut when I lived in WI? It's been outside for 8 years in the TX heat and WI cold. I guess it finally had enough. They should cover it. Hope so.
  • brewbq said:
    *plays taps*  That is awful.  Did you register your egg with the big guys when you bought it?  I just got mine this summer and the dealer registered the purchase with BGE on the spot.  I also registered once I got home, but I'm pretty sure the ceramics are warrantied for life.  Good luck man.  I'd love to hear how this goes for you.
    Think so. It's been 9 years. I know it's under warranty. I still know the guy I bought it from and he's still in biz. I'm sure I can get it worked out. Just surprised the hell out of me.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited October 2012
    Sorry cen!  Sucky stuff right here but I think you'll be okay.  Hopefully you have some left overs so you don't have to do the unimaginable...get take out chicken.  :-&
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • brewbq
    brewbq Posts: 52

There are so many times where I've been heating mine up to do a sear and (due to either over-imbibing or just plain stupidity on my part) once I realized that I'd let things go too long without checking I'd find the dome temp to be only 150-200.  Then I'd realize that the thermo had taken a complete loop and it was in the 900-1100 range.  If I didn't break mine doing that (and I'm ashamed to say it has happened a few times) then 600 should have been nothing.  Additionally, I'm CERTAIN that you've brought it up that high before.  How fast did you get it to that temp and what was the outside temp?
  • That sucks CT!  I hope you get a replacement REAL soon.  I gotta say though, in a sad way, that's a pretty cool picture.
    Flint, Michigan

• Duude...that sucks.  What temp did you hit with the clean burn?

it's 9 years old
  • brewbq said:

There are so many times where I've been heating mine up to do a sear and (due to either over-imbibing or just plain stupidity on my part) once I realized that I'd let things go too long without checking I'd find the dome temp to be only 150-200.  Then I'd realize that the thermo had taken a complete loop and it was in the 900-1100 range.  If I didn't break mine doing that (and I'm ashamed to say it has happened a few times) then 600 should have been nothing.  Additionally, I'm CERTAIN that you've brought it up that high before.  How fast did you get it to that temp and what was the outside temp?
    I've had it way hotter dozens of times. 
    cazzy said:
    Sorry cen!  Sucky stuff right here but I think you'll be okay.  Hopefully you have some left overs so you don't have to do the unimaginable...get take out chicken.  :-&
    butts are still chugging along. I'm cooking on it
  • nolaegghead
    A Boeing 747SR air frame has a design life of 52,000 flights.  If it fails under normal use after half that, it's probably because it has a defect.  The BGE warranty is lifetime (original owner, no abnormal use) because a defect can take a while before it results in failure. 
    edited October 2012
    Then again, the way C-T uses his egg, maybe the BGE engineers underestimated how "flights" our eggs get. :D
    I love the fact that the crack hasn't interrupted the cook.  Way to go!
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Ouch, that sux. Hope you don't have any problems getting a warranty replacement.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Dang. That sucks.

I bet it doesn't really matter. My PS has had a huge crack in it for about 6 months and is still going strong.

Good luck buddy.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Really hope that's covered for you ! It sucks it happened but would really suck if they don't cover it !!!
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Sorry to hear about that CT. Glad u are still cookin! Surely they will cover it. I could be mistaken, but I think it is only recently they stated you need a receipt in the warranty agreement. The warranty agreement that came in the owners manual of my egg just states you need to provide name, address of dealer and date of purchase.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    that stinks Cen-Tex am sure BGE will take care of you . glad to see it didn't stop your cook , and JBweld is a great product to use should you wanna seal the crack 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • C-T  That just ...... (i was going to say blows, but that would be a bad pun) 
    Do you have either the CD or the other paperwork (the booklet) that came with egg you can use to prove purchase? You could call Bob over a BBQ outfitters and talk with him about getting replacement.
    Good luck
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I'm going to bet this turns out fine with BGE, C-T. It might be a hassle but it will be fine. Do you have a dealer near you? I'm sure BGE won't insist on dealing with the original outlet. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Are you kidding? You are kind of a big deal around here. They won't  mess with you.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    been there twice and both times covered with no paperwork other than telling the dealer it was registered with bge and i was the origional buyer.  when the base cracks it just seems to go without any defects showing and no real explanation, one of mine went during a 325 turkey cook and another looked like waterdamage and freezing temps
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170

Dang the bad luck-I'm sure you can fast-talk your way to a warranty replacement but it may take a bit of work. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lakewade
    Well, do you remember the time we had to build a fire in the bottom just to melt the ice that had frozen it shut when I lived in WI? It's been outside for 8 years in the TX heat and WI cold. I guess it finally had enough. They should cover it. Hope so.
    Good point. I am surprised it lasted this long under your care.

-----------
  • lakewade said:
    Good point. I am surprised it lasted this long under your care.
    I am not easy to live with under the best of circumstances