Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar Planked Salmon

BigC
BigC Posts: 36
edited October 2012 in Seafood
Wanted to share a recent success I had on Large BGE...Cedar Planked Salmon:
1 lb salmon fillet, rubbed with EVOO, chopped fresh garlic, seasoned with finely ground sea salt and ground black pepper; covered liberally with Blue Cheese crumbles (may sub goat cheese for different flavor profile or leave out altogether)
Soaked cedar plank for a couple of hours
Let seasoned fish sit (on plank) in fridge for hour or so.
Cooked on plank, direct heat on raised grid. 425 for 25 minutes (for medium).
Man, it was awesome...Just wanted to share. Before and after pics below...

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Wow BigC, you're more adventuresome than I am!  I LOVE blue cheese and I LOVE salmon, but the thought of cheese and fish together kind of freaks me out.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Cullum
    Cullum Posts: 215
    Very nice! Looks awesome. Love cedar plank salmon.
  • BigC
    Thanks guys. @BOWHUNR - give it a try...You won't be disappointed!
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    You know instead of the expensive planks you can use cedar shingles as long as they don't use any additives and it is just cedar.  A guy used to post about how he used planks on the time.  Search it out on here. Stike and cedar planked salmon. 

I personally have never used them because cedar is a bit too strong for me, but worth a search. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Very nice. Did salmon myself this weekend but w/o the plank.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Nicely done, @BigC. We love cedar planking salmon. Never would have thought to add bleu cheese. I see the Central market logo on your plank, assuming you are somewhere up the DFW area? If so, try and make it to the Plano Eggfest on Nov 3rd.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @BigC, good looking cook. Have you tried planking using indirect? Same temps, 425-450 at the grid using the setter legs up. With sockeye fillet, light touch of salt, pepper and dill I could not tell the difference between a direct cook and an indirect cook, except for the lack of char on the underside of the plank (or in my case a red cedar shake).
    Looks good, have some pink in the freezer, always needs something to help its taste, would have never thought about using blue cheese, must give it a try - Thanks for sharing. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • BigC
    Thanks, @Griffin.  Yes, I am Big D and would love to make the Plano Eggfest on Nov 3. Will you be cooking?  Love the blog, by the way. Thanks again!
  • BigC
    edited October 2012
    @Skiddymarker - Next salmon cook will be indirect. Thanks for the tips. Would love to hear how you like the bleu cheese on yours...I've used goat cheese as well for different flavor profile. Thanks again for the info!
  • Lip
    Lip Posts: 1
    We tried salmon on the plate setter tonight.  We have run out of cedar planks, so I used thick tin foil as a substitute on the plate setter.  Just used the maple syrup and butter recipe in the cookbook that came with my egg, and apple chips for smoke. 
    Turned out very nice, but the flavor was different than when using a cedar plank and no chips.  The texture seemed different, too.  Any one else experience that?  Could the cedar interact with the salmon in a way that tenderizes it somehow?
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited March 2013
    Looks good BigC. Never done cheese either and I have cheese instead of blood in my veins..... :D

Try holding the salmon on another dish to free up your plank. Then put the plank on the egg for a few minutes before you put the salmon on. This gets the cedar smoking some first. Then put salmon on. Makes it even better IMO. Oh, and I cook mine raised direct. Little to no burn on the plank that way so reuse is possible
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    That looks great!  I wouldn't have thought of pairing salmon and cheese either, but it sounds good to me.  I have done salmon several different ways and I think the cedar plank was my favorite.  They are just pricey- I'm gonna try to find the shingles sometime.  

My wife wants this for dinner ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    If the cedar is soaked maybe it helps moisturize it?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    That looks great!  I wouldn't have thought of pairing salmon and cheese either, but it sounds good to me.  I have done salmon several different ways and I think the cedar plank was my favorite.  They are just pricey- I'm gonna try to find the shingles sometime.  

Shakes work great, sawn shingles are a tad too thin. Make sure they are untreated, no fire retardant or preservatives. It can be a challenge to find them. I have a bundle I keep for roof repair and have just about used all the "fish sized" ones. Will have to split some of the big ones soon. 
    I soak in clean water in the laundry tub overnight, a brick keeps the shake submerged. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

Shakes work great, sawn shingles are a tad too thin. Make sure they are untreated, no fire retardant or preservatives. It can be a challenge to find them. I have a bundle I keep for roof repair and have just about used all the "fish sized" ones. Will have to split some of the big ones soon. 
    I soak in clean water in the laundry tub overnight, a brick keeps the shake submerged. 
    Thanks for the tips Skiddy! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• That's some mighty tastin lookin salmon.  Great job.  Thanks for sharin the blue cheede also.  Something I'll definately try soon.  Thanks also to Skiddy for the idea to do indirect.  I prefer the alder planks and have only found then at my BGE dealer and boy are they expensive.  Now maybe I can get more than a few cooks out of them.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    I always use a chunk of alder wood in the coals for salmon.  I got some alder planks recently and used the planks plus the alder chunk.  Alder and salmon are a great combo.
  • Looks awesome love to cook salmon, great job.
  • Bham_egger
    Bham_egger Posts: 196
    I wonder how it would do with Brie, since lox is often paired with it.
  • lecrams
    lecrams Posts: 116
    Thanks for sharing BigC, I tried this last night and it was awesome!
  • CTSmoker
    CTSmoker Posts: 19
    Made this last night.  Quick and easy and deeeeeeelicious.  The blue cheese makes it happen.
  • I have a 6 foot cedar fence all around my yard, I'll be able to cook a ton of fish now if cedar roofing shingle planks work  
    :))

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen